The Official MBTA System Map

That said, I believe @TheRatmeister said on Reddit that the parks were something they were going to work on in later drafts so that appears to be on the radar.
Correct, I find the parks and water to be by far the most tedious bits so I'm taking a bit of a break for now to go traveling for a week.
Not only that, but the fact that Franklin Park doesn't touch its namesake bus stop intersection is killing me.
Franklin Park is, to put it mildly, a giant pain in the ass to draw. Balancing the geographical accuracy of the shape of the park with the straight lines of the bus routes is extremely difficult. No doubt there will be several further iterations of it.
I also think that while the idea of using yellow rectangles for bus terminals is great, the execution is a bit less than ideal. I find them less recognizable than even the numbers along bus routes. Perhaps enlarging the font and/or another color palette would be better?
I'm honestly pretty happy with the color palette as it is. I'll probably try adjusting the size but I worry that making them too large will make them a bit too overpowering.

I'm honestly pretty happy with the color palette as it is. I'll probably try adjusting the size but I worry that making them too large will make them a bit too overpowering.
Illustrator_Realistic_Map_Draft2.png

I feel like the larger symbols are at least marginally better.

I’m dipping back into this convo for a hot second for a quick question — is there a Day Sq station now that I missed?

View attachment 53743
I feel like the larger symbols are at least marginally better.
Definitely looks much better!

One final nitpick: For the bus terminus labels on northside OL and the RL Ashmont branch (+ Andrew), I'd consider aligning them towards the rapid transit lines, instead of centered with the station name. Taking northside OL for example, this would mean the right end of the bus labels are aligned with either the left or right ends of the accessibility symbol. The reason is that with these vertical subway lines, it's easier to notice that bus labels are "misaligned": see 104, 110 and 7 on OL.

Centered bus labels do make sense for other stations, especially those on 45-degree lines.

Also, there's a short 45-degree bus line between the Bellingham Sq label and the station dot.

Edit to add: This might be a little bit more controversial, but I'd personally move the 7 and 9's City Point terminal to the NE corner of the 9's route, instead of at the intersection with L St. Either that, or you can even do something like this:
1723146434582.png

(Very sketchy drawing, I know)

The reason is that the 7, on the peak-direction trips, does serve the "loop" out to E Broadway and Farragut Rd. The current map makes it seem like it barely touches South Boston and that you need to transfer to the 9 to go any further south/east.

Last edited:
I get that it's a hard decision, but should the seasonal ferries (East Boston, Lynn, Quincy/Winthrop) be included on the official map?

Apologies if this has been discussed before, but as the T rolls out more truly physically-separated dedicated busways, like Columbus Ave., alongside the new frequent-service routes, I struggle to understand why the SL4/5 line on Washington St. and the SL1 through the airport deserve the same visual treatment of actual "rapid transit" lines.

This is admittedly a nitpick against the Silver Line for now, when we don't have that many dedicated busways, and the one we do have serves a short segment on a route that's less busy than the SL. But if and when the T opens more Columbus Ave-style busways on bigger, busier routes – like Blue Hill Ave. and Lower Broadway – I think it becomes a more substantive criticism. How do you justify that kind of visual attention to the system's 8th-busiest bus route when several busier routes with real dedicated transitways and real stations are still just a thin beige line?

I struggle to understand why the SL4/5 line on Washington St. and the SL1 through the airport deserve the same visual treatment of actual "rapid transit" lines.
They don't and they never did. But you're right that this will become a problem once BHA is done. Either they give BHA a Silver Line route or they have to finally acknowledge that SL4/5 aren't rapid transit, which then brings up old problems from the El. Both have problems, the first is difficult because all the BHA routes have major portions off of BHA that don't have dedicated bus lanes, while the latter requires revisiting long buried infrastructure projects like a GL branch or (the inevitably doomed) SL Phase III. Obviously I would prefer the latter but I'm not optimistic.

As far as just reforming the Washington St buses, if I was god-king of all Dunks (and probably other things too) I would replace SL4/5 with two routes, the 49 and 49X. The 49 would make more local stops than the current routes, and the 49X would make less, with the stops at Lenox St, Worcester Sq, and Herald St removed. But again, this requires admitting that "Equal or Better" was in fact a lie, so it probably won't happen.

Apologies if this has been discussed before, but as the T rolls out more truly physically-separated dedicated busways, like Columbus Ave., alongside the new frequent-service routes, I struggle to understand why the SL4/5 line on Washington St. and the SL1 through the airport deserve the same visual treatment of actual "rapid transit" lines.

This is admittedly a nitpick against the Silver Line for now, when we don't have that many dedicated busways, and the one we do have serves a short segment on a route that's less busy than the SL. But if and when the T opens more Columbus Ave-style busways on bigger, busier routes – like Blue Hill Ave. and Lower Broadway – I think it becomes a more substantive criticism. How do you justify that kind of visual attention to the system's 8th-busiest bus route when several busier routes with real dedicated transitways and real stations are still just a thin beige line?
Isn't the SL4/5 combination the highest bus ridership route in the MBTA system; and some of it (theoretically) is in bus lanes (unenforced).

@TheRatmeister, your map looks fantastic. I also encourage you to submit it to the T!

Philosophically, what is your thinking about the level of detail on coast lines and park borders? (I believe you mentioned this is an area that is WIP.)

Gonna selectively reply to a couple of points that I believe I can respond to quickly:
Another more drastic modification that aligns better with geography:
1722836382349.png
I'm most intrigued by this iteration. The idea of an "axis shift" creating an implicit zone demaraction running from Forest Hills to Ashmont seems very interesting. There will be at least one spacing issue I can see already -- I am pretty sure the Mattapan Line labels won't fit in the space you sketched. But that could be addressed by turning the Fairmount Line further north and having the Mattapan Line briefly run alongside it, or could potentially be addressed with a more aggressive repositioning of the Ashmont Branch and the 23.
The 15 and 16 don't meet at Kane Sq, that's almost than half a mile away. Annoyingly, they meet at the actual Uphams Corner which makes it rather hard to label.
Yup, that was a wishful-thinking-based mistake on my part. I'll probably use the same approach that I did for the 47 at Comm Ave -- I'll move the 16 closer and just leave the dashed line without an explicit label for the 16.
Why do Oak Sq and Brighton center get dots, while no other non-interchange/non-terminus bus stops do? The only reason I can think of is that they had streetcar service for 16 years longer than most other places more than 50 years ago, and I wouldn't really consider that a great reason.
Experimentation, first and foremost -- I wanted to see how it would look. To some extent, yes, I was thinking about the legacy of the A Line. That being said, Oak Sq and Brighton Center don't seem particularly different in prominence than many of the other labeled dots; if we think of dots as "prominent stops" first and "coincidentally transfer points" second, it would make sense. But I do see the point you're making. (I wanted to include some sort of stop on the 39 for the same reason, but wasn't sure I could fit in the bus label without making it crowded. Looking now, though, I think it would be fine.)
Having all of the possible CR destinations and some through stops listed makes the map rather cluttered. The Providence/Stoughton one is particularly egregious. I'd probably cut some of the less notable through stops, such as Norwood, East/South Weymouth, Taunton, Canton Center, Attleboro and Wellesley
I agree, lamentably. I dislike showing the name of the line in lieu of the places it serves. Norwood, Attleboro, Taunton, Brockton, these are all significant regional cities, and it seems worth highlighting that you can get to them on the commuter rail. (Canton Ctr and the Weymouths I feel less strongly about -- my inclination toward parallelism had me saying, "Well, every other line gets a via, so I need to think of something for these!") But it does look very busy.
I'd probably sort the lines into groups and then semi-arbitrarily color them from there. The groups I think I would make would be something along the lines of:
  • Crosstown routes (1, 47, 66), if we're doing thicker ones I think these should be the ones that get it (Bus yellow or official brown)
  • Nubian-centric routes (15, 23, 28) (Orange)
  • Harvard/Cambridge routes (70, 71, 73, 77, 96, 101, maybe 109) (Red)
  • Forest Hills routes (31, 32, 35/36) (Purple)
  • Downtown/Southie routes (7, 8, 9, 12) (Also Red, possibility a different shade?)
  • Chelsea/Everett routes (104, 109, 110, 111, 116) (Blue)
  • Former GL branches (57, 39) (Green)
I'd summarize this approach as "color coding by outer hub" or "color coding by region of origin", and was an approach I experimented with very very early on (years ago at this point). For the most part, I found that it doesn't impart any new information, and so just creates more noise. The "region of origin" is already encoded directly by the visual placement of the lines on the map. Color-coding by "inner hub" is an effort to differentiate routes within the same region. Is it a successful effort? Ehn, that's debatable. But that at least is the intention.
Reading this discussion has led me remember a precept I know I've voiced before: the accuracy of a map should reflect the expectations created by the complexity of the network and the geography. That is to say: a simple map can be fairly distorted and serve its purpose, while a complicated map ends up having to be pretty close to geographically accurate in order to avoid being misleading.
This is a really great point, which I wholeheartedly agree with (and have previously tried to embrace), and which my evolving design has likely lost track of. It's like saying, "My cat weighs 8.0000000 pounds" -- including that many zeros implies that I know my cat's weight with exceptional precision. Likewise, at a certain point, a diagram contains enough detail that it implies that all dimensions are depicted with equal detail and precision.

^^ This was why my earlier iterations of this map last year tried to embrace a starker contrast between a semi-accurate map in the inner zone and an obviously-simplified diagram in the outer zone. I still think I never really succeeded with that, unfortunately.
Franklin Park is, to put it mildly, a giant pain in the ass to draw. Balancing the geographical accuracy of the shape of the park with the straight lines of the bus routes is extremely difficult. No doubt there will be several further iterations of it.
FWIW, Franklin Park is big enough IRL that I think you could get away with drawing it "oversized" on the map. (EDIT: Oooh interesting, you've consolidated the 31 and the 16. Was this intentional? The downside is that it implies a 31 <> 22 transfer, which really isn't available.) The bus routes already form most of the boundaries of the park, so I feel like you can get away with the more diagrammatic approach because the park will be defined intrinsically in terms of the bus routes.

1723293178149.png

Philosophically, what is your thinking about the level of detail on coast lines and park borders? (I believe you mentioned this is an area that is WIP.)
I'm almost entirely winging it and doing whatever feels right.
Oooh interesting, you've consolidated the 31 and the 16. Was this intentional? The downside is that it implies a 31 <> 22 transfer, which really isn't available
Yeah that's just a mistake. I had it split properly but I think I goofed on that when I changed all the lines from thick ones to thin ones.
I agree, lamentably. I dislike showing the name of the line in lieu of the places it serves. Norwood, Attleboro, Taunton, Brockton, these are all significant regional cities, and it seems worth highlighting that you can get to them on the commuter rail. (Canton Ctr and the Weymouths I feel less strongly about -- my inclination toward parallelism had me saying, "Well, every other line gets a via, so I need to think of something for these!") But it does look very busy.
Maybe an alternative could be to give the periphery cities stop marks before the arrow, but like, different so it's clear they're further away. Is that even possible? No idea.
That being said, Oak Sq and Brighton Center don't seem particularly different in prominence than many of the other labeled dots; if we think of dots as "prominent stops" first and "coincidentally transfer points" second, it would make sense.
That's a fair point. However, if we're changing the bus dots to mean significant points rather than transfers I think a more comprehensive list needs to be made.

Fell down a rabbit hole: since I used font size as a restrictive criterion for my diagram, I got curious how large other systems make their station labels (relative to height of the overall diagram). These measurements are not precise but seem interesting:
  • NYC Subway: 0.34%
  • Chicago: 0.44%
  • Toronto: 0.54%
  • WMATA: 0.59%
  • MBTA: 0.68%
  • Montreal: 0.98%
  • BART: 1.02%
Of course, these percentages need to be put in the context of the size of the physical maps in the stations; 0.98% on a small panel might end up being physically smaller than 0.54% on a larger panel.
That's a fair point. However, if we're changing the bus dots to mean significant points rather than transfers I think a more comprehensive list needs to be made.
I would definitely be interested in creating such a list. Are there points you can think of off-hand that you would add to this list?

I would definitely be interested in creating such a list. Are there points you can think of off-hand that you would add to this list?
Going based on ridership and only using the routes I already have done out stop-by-stop:
  • MIT (1)
  • Kane Sq (15)
  • Egleston Sq (22)
  • MLK Jr (23/28)
  • Hyde Sq (39)
  • Brighton Center (57)
  • Oak Sq (57)
  • Newton Corner does worse on ridership but it might be notable enough to get a dot, especially with the express bus connections (57)
  • Arlington Center (77)
  • Chelsea City Hall (111/116/117) (but good luck fitting that on the map)
  • Washington Park (111)
The 23/28, 111, and 116/117 get pretty murky though since a lot of their stops are very well used but not at all notable.

Fell down a rabbit hole: since I used font size as a restrictive criterion for my diagram, I got curious how large other systems make their station labels (relative to height of the overall diagram). These measurements are not precise but seem interesting:
  • NYC Subway: 0.34%
  • Chicago: 0.44%
  • Toronto: 0.54%
  • WMATA: 0.59%
  • MBTA: 0.68%
  • Montreal: 0.98%
  • BART: 1.02%
Of course, these percentages need to be put in the context of the size of the physical maps in the stations; 0.98% on a small panel might end up being physically smaller than 0.54% on a larger panel.

There are standards and general guidelines for the minimum size of symbols and fonts on wayfinding maps, driven by expected viewing distance:

To my eye, the font and symbol size on the new NYC MTA In-Station Digital Customer Information displays are too small to be of practical use.

Going based on ridership and only using the routes I already have done out stop-by-stop:
  • MIT (1)
  • Kane Sq (15)
  • Egleston Sq (22)
  • MLK Jr (23/28)
  • Hyde Sq (39)
  • Brighton Center (57)
  • Oak Sq (57)
  • Newton Corner does worse on ridership but it might be notable enough to get a dot, especially with the express bus connections (57)
  • Arlington Center (77)
  • Chelsea City Hall (111/116/117) (but good luck fitting that on the map)
  • Washington Park (111)
The 23/28, 111, and 116/117 get pretty murky though since a lot of their stops are very well used but not at all notable.
I like this list! For the "murkier" routes, we could simply label some cross-streets at a regular cadence.

(Note that what we are also doing, subtly, is building a template for a "fantasy" T map that sees rapid transit service to all these locations.)
There are standards and general guidelines for the minimum size of symbols and fonts on wayfinding maps, driven by expected viewing distance:
To my eye, the font and symbol size on the new NYC MTA In-Station Digital Customer Information displays are too small to be of practical use.
I've been looking for these but couldn't figure out how to google for them! Thank you!

Hmm so the recommendation for printed map labels at a distance of 5 feet (imagining someone standing on a subway platform) is 7.1 mm. Let's see if I can do math to calculate the required "printed poster height" for the following systems in order to meet that requirement:
  • NYC Subway: 0.34% = 2.088m = 6.85 feet
  • Chicago: 0.44% = 1.613m = 5.3 feet
  • Toronto: 0.54% = 1.314m = 4.3 feet
  • WMATA: 0.59% = 1.203m = 3.9 feet
  • MBTA: 0.68% = 1.044m = 3.4 feet
  • Montreal: 0.98% = 0.7245m = 2.4 feet
  • BART: 1.02% = 0.6961m = 2.8 feet
(As some of you may have noticed, I'm often hit-or-miss when setting up equations correctly, so caveat lector. But those numbers do seem broadly reasonable.)

I feel like there's also some "theory" we could apply here: if we assume 7.1 mm labels, and we assume 1.5 line spacing as a minimum between labels (a debatable assumption of course), for a total of 10.65 mm of vertical space for each label, then a 1m² map would be able to fit a maximum of ~93 stations in a straight vertical line. On the other hand, if we increase to double line spacing (which seems closer to standard), then your maximum drops to 70 station labels arranged vertically.

For comparison, the NYC Subway map could maybe be defined height-wise as "all of the 1's local stops, plus about five stops in the Bronx, plus the BMT Fourth Avenue's local stops [the R] south of Atlantic Ave": 38 + 5 + 12 = 55 stops.

So, theoretically, there is some number n of stations on a given network that simply have to be arranged vertically linearly. That number becomes the "ruling height" of the map. (I am guessing that n for the T is "Orange Line north stops, plus SL4 stops, plus Fairmount Line from Uphams Corner south," 10 + 11 + 7 = 28.)

Now (and here we go down the rabbit hole even further), the above assumes that your "minimum label size" is for your rapid transit stations. But the T's map uses smaller labels for both commuter rail and bus. If we instead use our 7.1 mm minimum label size for one of these tiers, then we need something larger for rapid transit labels. For example, if we use 10mm labels with 1.5 spacing, then our ruling height drops to 66 stop labels.

Anyway, my point is just that in principle it should be possible to quantify the necessary map size based on the topological characteristics of the network.

Back