The Quinn (née The Berkeley) | 370-380 Harrison Ave | South End

datadyne007

Staff member
Reaction score
The Project, as currently conceived, will include the construction of a new, up to approximately 356,500 sf mixed-use building facing Harrison Avenue and extending between Traveler and East Berkeley Streets. The approximately 150-foot tall, 14-story building will include up to approximately 280 residential units with a mix of rental and home ownership units (approximately 175 and 105, respectively), and up to approximately 6,000 sf of ground floor retail. Figures 2-1 to 2-3 include a Ground Floor Plan, Typical Floor Plan and Section. Table 2-1 includes the Project program.

Current site of Quinzani Bakery and Ho Kong Bean Sprout company.

Developer: Related Beal
Executive Architect: Utile
Design Architect: Robert AM Stern

Height: Up to 150'-0"

PNF filed 03/31/16: http://www.bostonredevelopmentauthority.org/getattachment/713697d0-a185-47bf-b199-93700ef6909a

w09ybugh.png

nDH9jKAh.png

dovAsWhh.png

uhAYdJ5h.png

CPMjjl6h.png

hf83fnFh.png

This is the current Quinzani bakery site.

The renders are atrocious and my first reaction was 'what the hell am I looking at?' -- but the more time I spend with this, the more I think it will turn out alright.

I wish we could get something a little funkier, this is the south end after all

It reminds me of an 80's office park building...

I feel Stern is very hit-or-miss. Lovejoy Wharf? Great. This and the Clarendon? Rather bland.

Someone let the interns lose on the renders. Eeks..

Material choice will make or break this. It could be One Greenway textured terra-cotta and it takes on a retro mill/loft vibe (I may be in the minority that likes One Greenway), or it's boring brick and the aforementioned 80's office block. Stern is such a proud traditionalist though...

Oh look - its big brother already exists: http://www.ramsa.com/project-detail.php?project=152&lang=en

Last edited:
Was also thinking it could - fingers crossed - be a One Greenway.

Really drab overall though, particularly when compared to the newer construction around it. Looks like someone died and gave pine street inn $50M.

they got a discount on bricks when they bought for this and one beverly, i guess

Material choice will make or break this. It could be One Greenway textured terra-cotta and it takes on a retro mill/loft vibe (I may be in the minority that likes One Greenway), or it's boring brick and the aforementioned 80's office block. Stern is such a proud traditionalist though...

Oh look - its big brother already exists: http://www.ramsa.com/project-detail.php?project=152&lang=en

Very true. I don't see what the complaints are about. It could be a very handsome building if the bricks have some texture and color variation... If they choose plasticky looking paneling it'll be crap. But the massing is very good, I think. They ought to throw in a few more details and make this look like the lovejoy wharf project... They could easily make this one really nice.

3 new proposals in 2 days jeeeesus....just when I thought development cant get any hotter in Boston. Regarding this proposal the rendering itself looks low quality I don't think that really reflects how this will turn out. Ill wait for better renders before I pass judgement but the massing looks good.

Wouldn't Lovejoy cladding work nice here?

Think of the children.

It's...too much brick and glass? I think?

Needs a small, stone element like the older buildings in the foreground. I'm sure there are million reasons why that couldn't/shouldn't be done but I just think it would break it up better visually.

FK4 - looks as though the brick that Related is using at 131 Beverly is of the high quality and style you're looking for, so let's hope they bring it down here, and I bet they will. Buyers will definitely want a prime product and, since they will be built after Ink Block, Troy, and 345 Harrison are completed, will have to stand out in some way, high-quality of work being the way to do so.

Eh, you know I gotta check the skepticism a little bit. The old NY Streets is pretty far off the beaten path for me, but I was in the neighborhood the other and took a stroll through to see what the fuss is about. I gotta say, as pedestrian as the renders seemed for the other projects nearby, they come together pretty well.

I like the scale, the blocks strike a good balance between too much and too little. The architecture isn't particularly stunning, but there's enough left over from the old days to keep things interesting. Am I crazy about the way this project looks...nah, can't say that I am. But I think it'd slot in pretty well with everything else around, it'd fill a noticeable gap, and we know it can work with the neighborhood around it. I was surprised at how much my opinion changed standing on the corner versus looking at a render, so I'm not getting too worked up about "whatever it's good enough" architecture in this case - if anything "bland" is kinda the prevailing trend around there and I'd guess I'd rather have a neighborhood that's bland but substantial and coherent than avant-garde but schizophrenic. That or if it's too good, it's going to make everything else around it look drab.

Last edited:
I like Stern's Clarendon tower but this is...brown, constipated.

FK4 - looks as though the brick that Related is using at 131 Beverly is of the high quality and style you're looking for, so let's hope they bring it down here, and I bet they will. Buyers will definitely want a prime product and, since they will be built after Ink Block, Troy, and 345 Harrison are completed, will have to stand out in some way, high-quality of work being the way to do so.

I sure hope so... 131 Beverly (had to google that, it's just Lovejoy in my mind) is great.

Back