The St Regis Residences (former Whiskey Priest site) | 150 Seaport Blvd | Seaport

Re: Whiskey Priest/Atlantic Beer Garden Redevelopment | 150 Seaport Blvd | Seaport

As Seamus correctly points out, Chapter 91 applies to the entirety of the Commonwealth which fronts on tidal waters. That is why the determination regarding how to apply Chapter 91 to this site, to the HT garage site, to Fan Pier, etc., etc., is reserved to the Commonwealth, -- not to the BRA, the Mayor, or any official in the city of Boston.

The court decision in 1978 regarding Lewis Wharf resulted in a lot of people in Boston not owning the land on which they had built. That's because they built on land they actually didn't own, which was land under the tidal waters. This land is owned either by the Commonwealth, or a government sub-division, such as a city. (As it so happens, Harbor Towers and the HT garage were built on land that is determined to be tidal land, but I expect the ownership in this instance is convoluted because the city acquired ownership, probably in the mid 20th Century.)

To summarize, before the next point:
> land under the tidal waters is owned by State or local government
> land that was once under the tidal waters, but was filled, is still considered tidal land if it is close to tidal waters. (This is the case of all land between the Boston Harbor waters and the Greenway.)
> waters above the tidal land are owned by the government of the United States.

All of the Whiskey Priest site, the land portion, was once tidal waters, and following the 1978 court decision, the then owners of the Whiskey Priest site no longer owned the land on which buildings were built. (< This assumes that the site was not being used in commerce and/or trade.)

The changes to Chapter 91 that were made in the early 1980s were done to allow continued development of the harbor area, and to restore private ownership to public land that had been used to build waterfront properties for many decades. I am not a Massachusetts lawyer, but I suspect the initial 'ownership', and the subsequent restoration of that 'ownership' was free, in that the owners then, and the owners now, paid nothing for the tidal lands on which they built.

With respect to Whiskey Priest, Mr Cronin will not own the tidal land on which the proposed Harborwalk extension and any other piling supported open space will be built. The Commonwealth retains ownership of the tidal land into which pilings will be sunk, and will provide an easement allowing his use of the tidal land.

As the waters of the United States government would be displaced by any pilings, no pilings can be sunk without the assent of the Federal government (through a Corps of Engineers permit).

A suggestion: posters should not be proposing this change or that change to Chapter 91 without having a good grasp of what the law (and the associated regulations) requires. A solution which looks ideal in one case may be terrible in another. Which, in essence, is why the CLF is so animated with respect to what the city proposes.

Ownership disputes over waterfront land can become particularly nasty, and take on an aura of the very rich (who are the only ones who can afford such land these days) versus everyone else. For example,

http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-0424-lopez-khosla-beach-access-20160424-column.html

Last edited:
Re: Whiskey Priest/Atlantic Beer Garden Redevelopment | 150 Seaport Blvd | Seaport

City councillor Bill Linehan and others on the BCC came out in the past few moments to speak on behalf of the project and also, extended considerable praise to Mr. Cronin....

https://www.cityofboston.gov/cable/live.asp

All legal decisions hang on precedent when it exists. The CLF is a watchdog in this state and if they simply let this project happen, there are probably concerns not due to the site itself but due to the precedent that would be set by the project. I agree that in this specific case I would prefer the project (I guess I would, I'm not jerking off about it like the rest of the board, though)... but I am sure the reasons the CLF has are other than pure obstructionism. Overall, they are a force for good in this state, so chill out.

FK -- Who appointed or elected the CLF to be our Guardians

They are simply a self-important interest group -- No more and no less than the advocates for biking, dog parks, or food trucks

The rules are just different for different players concerning Chap 91.

This is a fact because if they abided by the Chap 91 law since 1800's we would not have Harbor Garage in the first place.

Riff -- if the current interpretation of Chapter 91 was in effect in the late 1800's we wouldn't have most of the Back Bay, South Bay, Logan, Atlantic Avenue, Much of the South Boston Seaport

This is just nitpicking of the worst kind by the CLF whose leaders hate all forms of development

This is just nitpicking of the worst kind by the CLF whose leaders hate all forms of development

It would be a convenient narrative if it were that simple. Any of us pro-development non-billionares should be glad that there are checks-and-balances in place on waterfront development. Yes, the CLF is ridiculous at times. But as FK4 stated umpteen posts ago, this is largely about precedent and both sides maintaining relevance in a balanced review process. I am confident we would not have the harborwalk if this dynamic was not in place - the harborwalk is one of the best things to happen to waterfront development in Boston. We all will enjoy the seaport more because of the checks and balances that went into ensuring (what will be) fantastic overall access - and this isn't just about doing nice things for poor people - the value for everyone is greater with there being a harborwalk there, as compared to without: just think, business people come in for a convention, they take a walk around, they have ACCESS to everything, and as such, are more connected with and interested in the area. Maybe eventually they do business here/invest here. Everyone wins. Someone who got this was Vivien Li (we will miss her); yes, she was on the activist side, but what she really wanted was developers $ to make the place better for everyone, not merely to thwart development.

Let's let Cronin's case play out; I am willing to bet (and am hoping) this thing gets built and includes a great public realm. Yes, building out over the atlantic should count, and yes I hope a reasonable compromise is reached.

It would be a convenient narrative if it were that simple. Any of us pro-development non-billionares should be glad that there are checks-and-balances in place on waterfront development. Yes, the CLF is ridiculous at times. But as FK4 stated umpteen posts ago, this is largely about precedent and both sides maintaining relevance in a balanced review process. I am confident we would not have the harborwalk if this dynamic was not in place - the harborwalk is one of the best things to happen to waterfront development in Boston. We all will enjoy the seaport more because of the checks and balances that went into ensuring (what will be) fantastic overall access - and this isn't just about doing nice things for poor people - the value for everyone is greater with there being a harborwalk there, as compared to without: just think, business people come in for a convention, they take a walk around, they have ACCESS to everything, and as such, are more connected with and interested in the area. Maybe eventually they do business here/invest here. Everyone wins. Someone who got this was Vivien Li (we will miss her); yes, she was on the activist side, but what she really wanted was developers $ to make the place better for everyone, not merely to thwart development.

Let's let Cronin's case play out; I am willing to bet (and am hoping) this thing gets built and includes a great public realm. Yes, building out over the atlantic should count, and yes I hope a reasonable compromise is reached.

BigPicture -- the fundamental problem with the CLF is that they claim to be a non-profit corporation benefiting the public

However, all their benefitting ends up costing the taxpayer lots of money -- the Clf is probably responsible for at least a couple of $b of the final cost of the Big Dig

If they were altruistic Billionaires who wanted to help the public -- well let them buy the land in question and build a park and then donate the Park to the city or the Commonwealth -- as has been done countless times

Alternatively they could propose legislation and see if the people's representatives agrees with their proposal

But those not their Modus or their Operandi -- they use obstruction and lawsuits or their threats as encouraged or at least tolerated by CLF-friendly agencies [such as EPA and MEPA] as tools to exact concessions from the project proponents --- and in the end -- commonly the public pays with no input to the process

Board member Mike Monahan slams the CLF.

"All you're really doing is holding our city hostage."

^^ Whigh, I am not saying I condone their methods. Simply stating that some pause-and-review can be a good thing. There are others who have done a better job at activism to preserve/provide waterfront access, for sure; including private donors/investors.

^^ Whigh, I am not saying I condone their methods. Simply stating that some pause-and-review can be a good thing. There are others who have done a better job at activism to preserve/provide waterfront access, for sure; including private donors/investors.

BigPicture -- we have a process -- the Commonwealth will review the project under Chapter 91 and the BRA will review it for the benefit of the City of Boston -- thee will also be plenty pf time for public comments -- what is not needed is the meddling by the CLF

150 Seaport

BRA Board approved.... :)

BigPicture -- we have a process -- the Commonwealth will review the project under Chapter 91 and the BRA will review it for the benefit of the City of Boston -- thee will also be plenty pf time for public comments -- what is not needed is the meddling by the CLF

Whigh, without outside activism to challenge the process, we would not have a harborwalk.

And yes, I am glad 150 Seaport got approved.

Great news, this has a ton of community support and will be a great addition to the neighborhood. Things are changing in the area for the better and its great to see. From 1MPD to this is a huge upshift in quality.

Ehh this could use a crown and more lighting.

^sarcasm? This will have one of the better crowns in the whole city.

They likely wouldn't be proposing the Whiskey Priest project if it weren't for the cleanup of Boston Harbor, of which the CLF played a leading role.. It was the CLF's lawsuit in 1983 that led to the cleanup of sewers that were discharging directly into the harbor.

So they are not just any old meddling party. When a party (CLF) has been litigating for the clean-up and protection of Boston harbor for 33 years -- with the Commonwealth and the city as defendants -- courts tend to give them some deference.

I am not championing the CLF, but they do hold state and local government's feet to the fire. From ten years ago.

The Commonwealth of Massachusetts signed an agreement Wednesday with a Boston-based environmental advocacy group that calls for the state to move forward on a number of public transportation projects.

The Conservation Law Foundation filed a federal suit in 2005 that said Massachusetts had failed to deliver on a number of the transit projects promised to communities to offset the increased traffic and pollution from the Big Dig.

Wednesday's agreement, according to a CLF statement, ensures the extension of the Green Line beyond Lechmere to Medford Hillside and Union Square in Somerville and guarantees that the Fairmount Line in Dorchester and Mattapan will be upgraded to provide multiple stops in those communities.

The state must also prepare a final design of the Red-Blue connector, linking the Blue Line at Government Center with the Red Line's Charles Street/MGH station, and explore transit improvements for the Arborway corridor through a public process, the CLF said. The agreement also calls for 1000 new parking spaces for transit users as well as expedited completion of the Greenbush commuter and Blue rail lines.

"This is great news for all parties because by settling this lawsuit and filing enforcement regulations we can now go from litigation to construction," said Office for Commonwealth Development chief Andrew Gottlieb in a statement.
http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/stories/2006/11/27/daily31.html?jst=s_cn_hl

I am not championing the CLF, but they do hold state and local government's feet to the fire. From ten years ago.

Yes, and what an unmitigated success those projects have been... not to mention the ones the MBTA has successfully sued to drop.

Not to mention that was the lawsuit that created the infamous "Big Dig Debt" that trashed the MBTA's budget for a generation, all when the MBTA had nothing to do with the Big Dig.

That's kind of the story with the CLF. They got lucky shooting from the hip the first time, and they've spent the next 30 years failing to replicate their initial success.

Whether a project should be done or not, and whether it's done well (e.g., competence, free of corruption, well designed, well planned, etc.) are two completely separate things. When a group has a decent idea (e.g., let's have transit stops in underserved areas), but a shitty implementation plan or approach, does that then automatically make the idea bad in the first place? - I am so sick of hearing those insinuations in this town ("oh what were people thinking - how could adding transit stops in underserved areas ever be carried out in an effective way. It inevitably will get so eff'd-up and screw us all, let's not even have conversations about it!")

A healthy activist/developer tension prompts folks like Cronin to preemptively fear/plan ahead - in a constructive way - for the type of resistance they anticipate, resulting in project plans that have big harborwalks as part of their proposals, and the other laundry list of wonderful things offered at that meeting last night ($25m for senior housing, etc). Do people honestly think that developers would just do those things without this healthy tension? Give me a break.

Why do we need to whine about the activist climate w/ regards to this thread (e.g., 150 seaport)?; the damn thing was approved last night - and a damn good proposal at that. Let's move on and get this thing built.

Why do we need to whine about the activist climate w/ regards to this thread (e.g., 150 seaport)?; the damn thing was approved last night - and a damn good proposal at that. Let's move on and get this thing built.

I'm objecting to it because even though the thing was approved last night, it doesn't matter to the CLF - they're mounting a lawsuit to challenge the approval. It may still not happen.

As to your first point, it's not about whether the CLF has a good plan to achieve good goals, it's about whether their approach is constructive. In many cases over the years, the CLF has gone after the wrong agency in the wrong way and then has doggedly stuck to their guns, slowing down improvement by buying it in legal obligations and judicial oversight. There's a difference between a watchdog group advocating for good laws (to build and protect the Harborwalk, for instance) and then suing when necessary to protect them, and bullheaded turf wars fought over "precedent" (this project is great, but if we let it happen, someday some worse project might happen!). The CLF has proven quite adept at the latter.

The farther I read back in this thread, the more lost I got in Ch.91 and the CLF. Maybe a link to some current design or calendar would reboot?

Back