The St Regis Residences (former Whiskey Priest site) | 150 Seaport Blvd | Seaport

i was under the assumption the affordable units are off site.

They go a lot farther if they're put in the South End, Southie or Dorchester

That is my understanding from what was posted here.

There are condo fees, and there are CONDO FEES.

I had a chance to review the proposed staffing and staff compensation for a concierge services type condo (with a higher level of services than will be offered by the St. Regis) and the staff numbered about 0.8 per unit. And the compensation...., well do you think that housekeeping services is going to hire staff whose previous work experience was with Motel 6?

The interior pool will be larger than depicted for the St. Regis, but that requires 2 attendants to staff a pool that is open 12 hours a day, 7 days a week.

They have also greatly improved the appearance of the loading/highbay doors since the earliest renders...BUT...we all know that getting trucks and vehicles in and out of there onto Seaport Blvd. is going to be a disaster.

Yup, it's already a disaster everywhere else in the area where there are loading docks. On the other hand, there were also beer delivery trucks regularly semi-double-parked in front of ABG and WP as well. So maybe the net result won't be so different.

The interior pool will be larger than depicted for the St. Regis, but that requires 2 attendants to staff a pool that is open 12 hours a day, 7 days a week.

I've never see a pool staffed in a hotel or a condo/hotel other than regular spa/gym attendants?

Yup, it's already a disaster everywhere else in the area where there are loading docks. On the other hand, there were also beer delivery trucks regularly semi-double-parked in front of ABG and WP as well. So maybe the net result won't be so different.

In the easliest renders the loading docks were right in the front of the tower out in the open going right onto Seaport blvd. Now somehow they have moved them around the corner, between this tower and pier 4. No idea how they are going to make that turn. Maybe theyll just pull in straight next to this tower then unload the truck next to the building and wheel everything in. I mean either way you have to unload the truck, so not a huuuge difference. If it was done next to the tower thats really the only way I can see it happening, theres no way on Earth a tractor trailer could back in around the corner of the tower then keep turning and turning until its turned 90* from where it started then back straight in to the garage. No way in hell is that possible, how would it be....? Its not.

The garages are on the left face of this tower, around the corner facing towards the pier 4 tower. How the helllll would a tractor trailerr back in there. Are they only going to allow vans or smaller box trucks?? Thats literally the only way I see this working. Look how small that is of a space over there...

170607_150Seaport_Residential_Entrance.jpg

In the easliest renders the loading docks were right in the front of the tower out in the open going right onto Seaport blvd. Now somehow they have moved them around the corner, between this tower and pier 4. No idea how they are going to make that turn. Maybe theyll just pull in straight then unload the truck next to the building and wheel everything in. I mean either way you have to unload the truck, so not a huge difference if it was done next to the tower. Thats the only way I can see it happening theres no way on Earth a tractor trailer could back in around the corner of the tower then keep turning and then back straight in to the garage. No way in hell is that possible, how would it be....? Its not.

Looks like the loading dock and garage entrances are still in the same location off Seaport, just nicely disguised with some sort of architectural glass?

Mmmm yea u could be right. I could have swore I had seen/heard of them over there a while ago when it changed, but what your saying makes much more sense, it could have just been a poster here who said they were moved and not a pdf and then thats where we got it from, cant remember.

Looking at it though now that you pointed it out it does look like they put glass over the garage doors and jazzed it up. Looks really good for what it is, its a render but I hadnt even noticed it was still there. Thats the whole point and if it translates to real life this will be a success. They need to do this in quite a few other places too.

I work in the trucking industry and one thing that's very common in areas that have very tight spaces such as this is using an angled dock. They'll make it so the dock is angled at 45 degrees, so the truck can back in and only have to turn about half way, but still get into a traditional dock space.

Saw_tooth_dock.png

Looks like the loading dock and garage entrances are still in the same location off Seaport, just nicely disguised with some sort of architectural glass?

^this was my assumption when I made the comment: an aesthetic improvement, but not a functional change...

If you look closely at the sidewalk in the render, you can see the loading bay curb cut just to the right of the lamppost.

Sure, to jl's point, all buildings in the seaport district deal with this, but this entrance is right on the main drag.

I've never see a pool staffed in a hotel or a condo/hotel other than regular spa/gym attendants?

I don't think these condo owners will be making their own bed, or doing their own shopping.

This staffing is more like you might expect to see on a luxury superyacht.

Thanks, Stick, for pointing that out. The wood-covering underneath the balconies also is awesome. Quick question, does this building fit onto the footprint of the Whiskey Priest/Atlantic Beer Garden? Would it have been possible for Cronin to have built out the Harborwalk a bit more on the back side of the St. Regis or even on the side to have made more public space or would overflowing the original footprint of the two buildings have required state, environmental, and city approval?
Without crawling back into the old bowels of this thread, my recollection is that the previous owner and Cronin, subsequently, failed to meet the state permitting requirements with respect to the Harborwalk.

To meet the Harborwalk requirements for the Sr Regis, Cronin has secured what I believe is an easement on harborbottom land owned by Tishman Speyer next door. Otherwise, he would have to markedly shrink the footprint of his building.

The new renderings more clearly delineate the Harborwalk from the restaurant / bar areas on the ground floor.

i was under the assumption the affordable units are off site.

They go a lot farther if they're put in the South End, Southie or Dorchester

I was under the assumption that, in addition to the off-site affordable units, there were going to be some within the building as well. Were they able to get "buy out" that requirement 100% via off-site units?

Construction fencing went up around the site today, finally moving!

^^Is any of that funding for the off-site affordable units? If so, I wonder how much that brings down the cost per unit... can't be much.

Do we manage to stave off cannibalism and the zombie apocalypse or does that come afterwards? :D ;)

Then it sinks on one side like the San Fran Millennium and we have a leaning tower of Boston.

There is this salvation, sometimes.

• Some of Boston’s new luxury buildings stand out as textbook “wealth storage” properties. The 51 condominium units above the Mandarin Oriental Hotel at the Prudential Center, for instance, sold for an average of $6.5 million. Over 56 percent of these units are owned by trusts, LLCs, and shell corporations, and fewer than 18 percent claim a residential exemption. The Millennium Tower has 443 units averaging $2.4 million in assessed value. Over 35 percent are owned by shell corporations and trusts, and almost 80 percent of the units do not claim the residential exemption. Half of the LLCs that own units at Millennium Towers are organized in Delaware.

• This report’s authors have identified a number of “red flag” transactions that in other jurisdictions would likely trigger a Treasury Department FinCEN criminal investigation. These include a large number of properties purchased through cash transactions by shell corporations and international buyers. Cash transactions greatly increase the risk that the properties involved are being used to launder money from criminal activities and speed capital flight.
p. 6
https://inequality.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/Towering-Excess-Report-Final.pdf

i guess to recap just to crap on this thing some more -

Joyal Capital has like 0 experience with projects of any size, let alone a super luxury project. they as LP won't be any help

Cronin is a bar owner who has never built anything before let alone a super luxury project. if things get weird good luck to them getting out

JPM is in at a crazy high basis

This thing is in-fill surounded by better high end product. it lacks views from 3/4 angles.

will bet you money that the investors of Joyal capital get wiped out and Cronin gets wiped out. JPM ends up OK and this thing sits with a 4-5 year sell out period (if a recession doesn't come in and stop the show).

Marriot ends up pulling the St Regis flag amid struggling sales coupled with crazy high HOA fees and this ends up an unbranded downscaled project. the first buyers end up hosed. everyone loses.

This has to be one of the more engaging posts since Shirley Kressel went dark after the twin towers at Winthrop Square got approved. If Accordia had won the bid, i believe Winthrop Square was to have been a *St. Regis that roughly mirrored the Four Seasons in Back Bay.

*i came to this conclusion after doing some investigating, several weeks before Cronin made his announcement that St Regis was making its debut in Boston at 150 Seaport. The name alone is well suited for Boston.

Accordia at Winthrop Square was to have been;

A Starwood Branded ultra-luxury resort;
770,000 total square feet
280-key room hotel
185 condos
34,000-square feet of civic and community space
2,600-square feet of retail
Rooftop observation deck and full service restaurant
385 parking spaces
$560M
Housing Linkage; 125 off-site units $21M

The dollar figures for both components seem a bit low. In any case, whether Starwood/ Marriott decided to do a St Regis or set one of their other signature brands upon Winthrop Square, it is clear they were keen to hitch their wagons to Boston's biotech & equity expansion with a much larger project than what they got at the 'puny' 150 Seaport.

If you treat the market from the perspective of the entirety of Massachusetts, it seems like developers are moving ahead at a steady, albeit guarded pace. Luxury highrises don't seem incredibly different from the tens of thousands of luxury 5-7 bedrooms that went up outside the 128 belt in the 80's and 90's (even after the tech crash). Still, i think it's logical to assume; we're well closer to the end of this wild run–than its beginning.

Last edited:
According to BBJ, construction costs for One Dalton are $413 million, for 712,000 gsf of building.

St. Regis is 208,000 gsf, and the financing for construction is $300+ million.

Back