The St Regis Residences (former Whiskey Priest site) | 150 Seaport Blvd | Seaport

So they were both demolished last night.... wow. Saw a pic on facebook I couldnt rip but Im sure someone will have one soon enough. That was fasssst. This is going to be a wonderful tower though so now that its on... lets go.

NJdF1KIh.jpg

PositiveSoreGuineafowl-size_restricted.gif

Larger Video

Fare-thee-well to two of Boston's worst tourist-trap establishments.

So Del Friscos, 75 on liberty wharf and Ocean Prime are probably more your speed for a casual dinner?

I'd call Rosa Mexicana and Temazcal and Legal Harborside tourist traps personally.

I understand Whiskey and ABG weren't everyone's cup of tea but a saturday/sunday afternoon in the summer it was very pleasant to sit out on their decks, catch some sun and get a meal that you didnt need a trust fund for.

So Del Friscos, 75 on liberty wharf and Ocean Prime are probably more your speed for a casual dinner?

I'd call Rosa Mexicana and Temazcal and Legal Harborside tourist traps personally.

I understand Whiskey and ABG weren't everyone's cup of tea but a saturday/sunday afternoon in the summer it was very pleasant to sit out on their decks, catch some sun and get a meal that you didnt need a trust fund for.

Fear not, the Barfing Crab is still around (last time I checked).

Not at all. I did bring my old man to Del Frisco's for Fathers Day a few years ago, but I couldn't care less about the dining options in the rest of the Seaport.

My antipathy to Atlantic Beer Garden and Whiskey Priest are related the incompetent service, poor value for money, and the level of cleanliness in the establishment. Honestly, I don't eat out often. I enjoy cooking and spend what I save on a good bottle of single malt.

For a casual dinner, I like Audubon, Silvertone, Stoddards, Lucia, and a couple of places in my own neighborhood.

BeeLine's photos really put into perspective how dilapidated WP and ABG were, even when accounting for the demolition in progress. It will be very nice to see this gone and replaced once and for all now that the long bs battle with CLF is over.

That underbelly looks quite rickety. So awesome to see the site infused with hundreds of millions to see its potential, before it was reclaimed by the next series of floods. Fingers crossed and trusting capitalism to provide new niche venues & dive bars. South Boston, up A, Summer, 2nd, 3rd... Maybe, there's opportunity on the Harrison-Albany corridor ramping up.

Last edited:
This forum has gotten more uppity than I can ever remember.

Perhaps. It's likely a reflection of a cultural shift in the city and region.

With that said, I'm a big fan of local bars, pubs, and restaurants. Unironically. Cheap beer by the pint, bar pizza, roast beef sandwiches on a paper plate with Greek music tinkling out of the kitchen.

My fondest memory of the Barking Crab is holding a bathroom wastebasket for my then girlfriend (after an ill-considered shrimp cocktail). I think you and I are on the same page wanting to maintain reliable, casual, and affordable spots all over the city. I disagree that the three places kicked around in this thread are/were anything special.

Last edited:
That underbelly looks quite rickety. So awesome to see the site infused with hundreds of millions to see its potential, before it was reclaimed by the next series of floods. Fingers crossed and trusting capitalism to provide new niche venues & dive bars. South Boston, up A, Summer, 2nd, 3rd... Maybe, there's opportunity on the Harrison-Albany corridor ramping up.

The state limiting the number of liquor licences in the city definitely hurts the prospect of new "dive bars" opening up.

Perhaps. It's likely a reflection of a cultural shift in the city and region.

With that said, I'm a big fan of local bars, pubs, and restaurants. Unironically. Cheap beer by the pint, bar pizza, roast beef sandwiches on a paper plate with Greek music tinkling out of the kitchen.

My fondest memory of the Barking Crab is holding a bathroom wastebasket for my then girlfriend (after an ill-considered shrimp cocktail). I think you and I are on the same page wanting to maintain reliable, casual, and affordable spots all over the city. I disagree that the three places kicked around in this thread are/were anything special.

I suspect that you hated these places because they were basically The Kells, Howl at the Moon, or any of the other soulless, empty, horrid places where the worst of all classes for some reason feel impelled to wait in long lines on Friday and Saturday nights. There's something so inherently Boston about these pseudo-"thing" places.. at least other cities have real club scenes, or actual swanky places (which I hate, but respect more than the bland try-hard-ness of these idiosyncratically Boston loser bars). Judgmental of me? You bet. I spent enough time exploring Boston's nightlife, or lack thereof, and the feeling of seeing the droves of people all overdressed and waiting outside to go to Whiskey Priest in December is a disgust I will not miss.

I do agree with Suffolk's comment, though, that on a sunny afternoon, these were very different places. The Atlantic Beer Garden was actually a decent outdoor relaxed place to go at a time like that... low key... which is becoming increasingly hard to find in this town.

Dives are great and yes, Beacon Hill's stranglehold on licenses, coupled with a city that kowtows to every neighborhood complaint, has allowed the death of nearly every dive bar in the city and of course, an impossibility to ever replacing them. Ayanna Presley be praised for fighting the good fight and getting more neighborhood licenses, but it's too late, for the most part... the legit spots are never coming back, because to be legit, in my opinion, you need to actually be a bar that keeps bar hours, and the neighborhoods, now gentrified, will fight any 1 or 2am closing time to the death. So all these new licenses are going to go to semi-upscale food-bars that close at midnight. So much for the good ol Boston dive. The few that are left are increasingly turning into a Disneyland version of what they once were... I mean, cmon, the line for the Sil has been around the corner now for over five years (?!) gimme a break.

Beton - what are your spots in Eastie? There's precious few left around my parts...

Although not my hood at all, Tavern at the End of the World is a fairly new spot that's one of the few to replicate what I think a decent normal bar should be like. Good place, but I haven't been in a couple years now. The Behan in JP, my favorite of them all, keeps it real... BK's in Rozzie, probably too real... The Corrib in Brookline used to be delightfully depressing, still around under a new name... The Last Drop in Brighton... There's a few others still left....

Well, here goes...

• Renegade's Pub - New to the Heights, replaced an ignoble dive called the Victory Pub (I never met a winner in that place). Good burgers, stellar tap-list, thoughtful collection of brown liquor.
  • Kelley's - On Bennington, at the foot of Eagle Hill. Bar pizza, pork chops with vinegar peppers, a neighborhood "mixing chamber."
  • Eddie C's - Straight outta Maverick. Serene in its griminess. It's a bit like walking onto the set of a Scorsese flick. Stop by only if you intend to keep it real.

Last edited:
Serene in its griminess.

That is perfection.

I've hardly ever been out in East Boston... will need to do so. Contrary to what many might think, the winter for me is a perfect time for extended urban crosstown late night and crystalline cold travel thru grim, warm places... it's Boston at its very best, to me. Romanticization? Absolutely.

I mean, cmon, the line for the Sil has been around the corner now for over five years (?!) gimme a break.

? i'm at the sil regularly - was there last saturday night and tonight - and i've never once waited in a line to get in. [/QUOTE]

Although not my hood at all, Tavern at the End of the World is a fairly new spot that's one of the few to replicate what I think a decent normal bar should be like. Good place, but I haven't been in a couple years now.

you'll be disappointed to learn that the new/recent ownership has totally sucked the life out of tavern at the end of the world. messed with the menu, changed the layout of the rooms, new staff. i used to go there weekly and when i went with some buddies (not knowing that there had been an overhaul) late this summer we left before they even got around to serving our drinks. awful place.

here's hoping that sligo, the tam, charlie's kitchen, beacon hill pub, sullivan's, jj folley's, sillhouette, etc. manage to stick around for a while (RIP abbey lounge, cambridgeport, the paddock...)

^^^ Those are some quality places both living and dead.

I have been to the Sil without lines but more often than not since around 2009 there’s been a line of college kids on weekends. The fact that that happened even once means there are not enough watering holes in the neighborhood.

Terrible news about Tavern... first time I went there, the bartender left his post to sing a number with the band. I was instantly sold.

my experience was very clearly just after they had redone the menu, seating, new staff, etc., so i am going to hope that they just had yet to iron things out. i'll probably give tavern another shot prior to practice one of these weeks -- here's hoping it's less crappy!

im used to weekend lines for the model -- that's been a thing since the mid-'90s at least -- but im surprised to hear that about the sillhouette. for one thing, most BU/BC kids tend to prefer "cleaner" places like white horse, tavern in the square, etc.

Touched seeing my namesake discussed on AB for the first time.

When I first started going to the Sil circa 2013, the clientele most nights would be roughly 1/3 Central American, 1/3 middle-aged working class white guys, and 1/3 college students. That breakdown has changed quite a bit when I've been back to visit.

While the Sil is very BU heavy on the weekends, but I think The Model is now the go to spot for the "hip" BU crowd. BU alum are always shocked when I tell them that that was the skinhead bar growing up.

in the '90s and early '00s, more blow was done in the model and our house (pretty "meh" bar, especially compared to "old time" model) bathrooms than in bogota on a given night. and, yeah -- lots of [three-letter name of crew not mentioned bc they're still around, albeit less prominent] and skinhead bullshit went down at/around the model back in the day.

^ Verified. I frequented both the Model and Our House (my mates lived next door to OH). We observed some pretty reprobate behavior at both spots. Youth really is wasted on the young...

Back