The St Regis Residences (former Whiskey Priest site) | 150 Seaport Blvd | Seaport

Contrary to what many might think, the winter for me is a perfect time for extended urban crosstown late night and crystalline cold travel thru grim, warm places... it's Boston at its very best, to me. Romanticization? Absolutely.

I find I do more bar hopping and eating out in the city in the winter.

here's hoping that sligo, the tam, charlie's kitchen, beacon hill pub, sullivan's, jj folley's, sillhouette, etc. manage to stick around for a while (RIP abbey lounge, cambridgeport, the paddock...)

Beacon Hill Pub is currently shuttered... they CLAIM its going to reopen but I'm not holding my breath. Same goes with Sullivans Tap- that just "temporarily" closed but I have my doubts. Them and the Tam are all owned by the same new owners who I now believe to be the devil himself.

This bar speak should probably be moved to separate thread but I'll continue the derailment-

Still going strong are Deluxe and Anchovies in my hood, thank god for them.

I like the Sil as well hopefully that sticks around

Deluxe is a real treasure. Briv, commuter guy, and a couple of others ended up there one night -- feels like a hundred years ago.

And I love it that a thread devoted to a top-drawer luxury highrise has devolved into a nuanced discussion of dive bars.

? i'm at the sil regularly - was there last saturday night and tonight - and i've never once waited in a line to get in.

you'll be disappointed to learn that the new/recent ownership has totally sucked the life out of tavern at the end of the world. messed with the menu, changed the layout of the rooms, new staff. i used to go there weekly and when i went with some buddies (not knowing that there had been an overhaul) late this summer we left before they even got around to serving our drinks. awful place.

here's hoping that sligo, the tam, charlie's kitchen, beacon hill pub, sullivan's, jj folley's, sillhouette, etc. manage to stick around for a while (RIP abbey lounge, cambridgeport, the paddock...

Agreed on Tavern, I used to love that place and it has almost turned unbearable.

One to add to the list that I hope doesnt go anywhere is Corner Pub in Chinatown, love that place.

We need a shot of parcel M now with no obstructions. Its still a shot of this site..

I find I do more bar hopping and eating out in the city in the winter.

Beacon Hill Pub is currently shuttered... they CLAIM its going to reopen but I'm not holding my breath. Same goes with Sullivans Tap- that just "temporarily" closed but I have my doubts. Them and the Tam are all owned by the same new owners who I now believe to be the devil himself.

This bar speak should probably be moved to separate thread but I'll continue the derailment-

Still going strong are Deluxe and Anchovies in my hood, thank god for them.

I like the Sil as well hopefully that sticks around

Holy crap, Beacon Hill Pub?!? That was the lone place I could get into without an ID (other than Matt Murphy's in Brookline) long ago... wow. I work close by, wish I went there now more than I do.

A while back I went on a fairly obsessive investigation into a lot of the old dive bars in Boston... that search led to many late nights reading ancient pre-blogspot blogs, old angelfire sites, etc, with great testimonials on the existing dive bars as well as closed ones. Since this thread has been totally derailed, I suppose I'll spell out a bit of what I remember right here:

First, basically anything called "Tap" is the real deal and probably had some criminal connection. Most of the old "Taps" were. Google around and you'll find the info.

But also — there used to be a sort of chain of bars called Father's and they had funny names like Father's Too, Father's Three etc - I wonder if anyone here remembers them; I am too young. But from what I remember, they were all owned, along with a handful of other dives, by the same guy, who had some sort of connection to Whitey Bulger and criminal stuff. Cambridgeport Tap, Beacon Hill Pub, The Tam, Crossroads Pub, Sullivans (the North Station one, not Charlestown) and a few others (maybe Sullivans, I can't remember) were all part of this ownership.

If you google deep enough, you find all sorts of excellent stories and memories by real old timers, great stuff about the old Park Sq and the leather bars, old Combat Zone, etc etc... not to overly romanticize the grit, but the primary sources are so much better than what most people into this stuff settle for, like the occasional photo on Dirty Old Boston...

I’m remember all those places, Combat Zone was great place to hang in my twenties

I’m remember all those places, Combat Zone was great place to hang in my twenties

Not to further derail this thread but someone on Bisnow must be reading this thread:

story today

Meanwhile, excavation has started at 150 Seaport, really shows what poor condition those bars were in. But also shows how awesome the view is going to be from the new harborwalk that will go around the property now, big win.

Not to further derail this thread but someone on Bisnow must be reading this thread:

story today

Meanwhile, excavation has started at 150 Seaport, really shows what poor condition those bars were in. But also shows how awesome the view is going to be from the new harborwalk that will go around the property now, big win.

What's the "awesome view" of? The world trade center? I dont get it. The harborwalk is nice and all but this will not make or break it. Its way better over by the courthouse and in front of 50 liberty

What's the "awesome view" of? The world trade center? I dont get it. The harborwalk is nice and all but this will not make or break it. Its way better over by the courthouse and in front of 50 liberty

I agree the view is better at 50 Liberty and Moakley but this creates a new harborwalk that I find awesome. It will be even more so once WTC is redeveloped, coming soon.

8XlahzyCr7zjAfjyrY-lVFBHcKkfp-FeWFJSoKMg10Qj9VRK1bwXYYfmA0Ov0tEs65jI3BqU8co3c9quLbVyuBR21gMghCq8AD0i_MH9sv1AYecFR7UOZNpbjL1_jfzsulLTHfC50mQ=w1230-h922-no

bBT42iRfIT0TJcD_sbKTofZSyk_XZ4OmUn_41xZ_-AOcYgniFC94PXRZS8_d_BqRAi5Tp6KK7ZHEJ_E14aoKtt11kYHn2iG9veXfcGHlF8eP7Qec0akEzlIm_o8_x3euSbuRBzJYtTE=w1230-h922-no

FcyaVeUiCOuLm9gLGEBzHZLKDqc2NtkCR7eEXO5BmuIq6Nt0-T7FWMrEQbwrccJXkMye1fctEZPEtOhPVrl4U5hle_mAFVJyFwB6rPDxCB9ycM9ZPPLymcOmO13nJPzsPCctaSrKRy4=w1230-h922-no

Dj7MF6NLfpEeS0DbQzjGdoID6X9JJsAs9mh1GiKSFMoUju30gTugs_CIMIrd-J-nt_e1DYCv4GMjA3kCti_RIp3Pf0fX4ug2aaMbpu3kGsZ1NCzZVbM0Ru7TBIrc5Vee8C7u83c2A3c=w1230-h922-no

A barge with a crane on board has arrived on site now.

Echelon looks like half the curtain wall is already installed.

I've seen some additional renders of the interiors, finishes, and amenity spaces, and I think this is going to be really nice and high quality. Just a shame that the views won't be so great.

No Seaport massing renders ever have this included so heres one for ol time sake.

“Massing” is the key word here and even that is loose
25868586672_cba24bf8f6_b.jpg

No Seaport massing renders ever have this included so heres one for ol time sake.

“Massing” is the key word here and even that is loose
25868586672_cba24bf8f6_b.jpg

Wow, almost 3 years to get from that to groundbreaking. If it comes out like the model it will be well worth it!

In those same 3 years 7 of the yellows became red and blue...

Back