The St Regis Residences (former Whiskey Priest site) | 150 Seaport Blvd | Seaport

Again, another photo set, this presumably taken on a weekday, and no workers to be seen.

This is glacial motion to grade. But it's in everyone's interest that the project get to grade. Beyond that.....?

Reminds me of Harvard pausing the new Science and Engineering building in Allston at grade, when Harvard's finances were squeezed during the Great Recession.
I walk past this site most days, it's a hive of activity, even some weekends. There was a bunch of guys working there today, Sunday. As you say though, it's been all subgrade, we'll see what the next few months bring.

I walked by here last Wednesday and there were dozens of workers on site doing their thing. So I guess it depends when you go by, but as many of us have seen, this site is quite active and moving along, though it's difficult to see the physical evidence. It has in no ways been put on hold, as far as I can tell. I have a friend who does luxury housing/condo sales, including in the Seaport, and she said there has been tremendous interest in this building and it is believed that this will be THE most sought-after luxury residence in the Seaport, and arguably all of Boston.

Last edited:
I truly hope they pick up the pace. This is a difficult site, but it is also a relatively small site, about one half acre in total. Perhaps that small size adds to the complexity.

They're in the 30th month of construction (without deducting the few weeks of COVID-shutdown). If the tenants can move-in by November 2022, that would represent a four year construction period. Don't think any other building in the Seaport has taken that long to build. Four years would be one year longer than it took to build the Ted Williams tunnel.

Yea I've noticed tons of workers on this site. I'll admit to being perplexed sometimes across all of Boston that sometimes work sites are totally deserted on Thursdays and Fridays. I assume this is either due to some union negotiation for a day off but working longer hours a previous day or because there's some major shift in the construction process and there's no reason for anybody to be on site until Monday.

Wasn't this project still being sued by the Continuous Lawsuits Frivolous grifters two years ago?

We need a 21st century Monty Python to do a sketch about "The Grifters Committee to Commit Continuous, Frivolous, Superfluous and Altogether Gratuitous Lawsuits"

Stellarfun - is it really any slower than anything else? It feels like it's moving at about the same pace as any other development.

Wasn't this project still being sued by the Continuous Lawsuits Frivolous grifters two years ago?
CLF did indeed sue. And CLF was successful in its lawsuit, in the sense there was a settlement 10 months prior to start of construction in December 2018.

The Conservation Law Foundation hailed the deal with developer Jon Cronin as a win in its push to make the waterfront more accessible. It was the result of months of behind-the-scenes negotiating while the two sides faced off in court.

The group [CLF] had sued over a zoning plan for the 22-story building, saying it would wall off a key stretch of Boston Harbor. CLF agreed to drop the suit in exchange for a boat dock, the parks money, $5.4 million for programs that bring city youth to the waterfront, and clearer rules governing a 16-foot-wide HarborWalk that Cronin plans for the site.

That "settlement" was a "here assholes now get lost" payment that the CLF should have been too embarrassed to take! 13M over 35 years? That's a little over 350K a year which is a drop in the bucket for a project like this.

This past saturday the site was very busy and looked anything, but dead. This project had one of the most complex foundation builds i have ever seen in Boston. In my mind it was built on water. Take a breath with all the doom and glum.o_O
I'm expecting a tower crane will rise within the month.(y)
IMG_5451 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_5452 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_5455 by Bos Beeline, on FlickrIMG_5455 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_5457 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_5460 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

THANKS BEELINE!!!

Stellarfun - is it really any slower than anything else? It feels like it's moving at about the same pace as any other development.
Time is money. There is a post way back in this thread indicating that a significant percentage of the units were already under agreement as the first shovels started digging. If those agreements were for an agree-upon, non-contingent purchase price, and construction is taking longer than expected, and costing more than expected, what happens to the developer's profit expectations?

The Stata Center at MIT, 700,000+ gsf, had a planned construction period of three years, and took four. Original construction cost estimate for Stata was $232 a sq ft; final cost was $442 a sq ft. (Stata also increased in size and complexity from the original design.)

51163811620_cde7aa348e_b.jpg

“There’s no doubt last March and April, everything from a sales perspective ground to a halt,’’ said developer Jon Cronin, whose firm is building the St. Regis Residences, Boston. “But, to be honest, in the last three weeks it’s been incredible,’’ with buyers placing multiple $10 million-plus offers. While more than a third of the units at the 114-condo development are spoken for, its most impressive sales feat may be that no buyers have tried to back out during the pandemic.

Praying for success here. These are the same people who came up with this render below. Even though it isn't going to happen, developers with such bold visions don't grow on trees around here!

1621605195258.png

that is an incorrect statement... i have heard that sales are very slow, but the guy still has another 18 months til it opens. the developer may struggle to make any money on this thing. whatever though, will be a great looking building when it's complete.

Yes, sales across the city have been non-existent for the last 15 months, for obvious reasons, while the 'burbs are killing it. If there's 18 months left on this one I think they will kill it, perfect, maybe fortuitous, timing!

Back