The St Regis Residences (former Whiskey Priest site) | 150 Seaport Blvd | Seaport

Re: Whiskey Priest/Atlantic Beer Garden Redevelopment | 150 Seaport Blvd | Seaport

(BCDC): don't like this building....

They effing LOVE this building. "Brilliant..." "Stunned..." etc

Re: Whiskey Priest/Atlantic Beer Garden Redevelopment | 150 Seaport Blvd | Seaport

Cant blame them the seaport is really getting some quality proposals lately.

Increase in sq footage, # of condos, and new renders here:

http://boston.curbed.com/2016/3/31/11333246/150-seaport-boulevard-condos

Screen%20Shot%202016-03-30%20at%201.23.08%20PM%20(2).png

I like the way the building looks but seriously its like WALL against the water view.

Yeah, except that wide open section between this and the WTC.
That and the miles of harborwalk that part of is right in front of this building. Oh, and a brand new park to be where Anthony's is currently crumbling/being demolished.

The water is plenty available. We all know views aren't owned. I'm pretty sure you yourself have paraphrased this sentiment a number of times in your diatribes against the harbor towerites and all those that oppose Don C. Across the water. Now the hypocrite in you is concerned about water views.

A couple hundred people who buy and move in, will find the view of the water just fine. Beside the view of Logan perhaps.....

Plus the harborwalk will pass between this building and the water anyways so it will still be accessible to the public.

I like the way the building looks but seriously its like WALL against the water view.

I agree with you, and I said it upthread. This building looks very good, but it's very obstructive. Harborwalk does nothing to attenuate that because that's about access to the water, not the view. There is somethjng to be said for a sweeping vista... It's a matter of opinion whether or not this building is worth the sacrifice, but the harborwalk is NOT a substitute to the ability to have ones vision filled with the sight of ocean while traveling along the main drag in the seaport. Imagine if one building was missing along the greenway, and how different it might be to actually SEE the ocean from dock square?

I agree with you, and I said it upthread. This building looks very good, but it's very obstructive. Harborwalk does nothing to attenuate that because that's about access to the water, not the view. There is somethjng to be said for a sweeping vista... It's a matter of opinion whether or not this building is worth the sacrifice, but the harborwalk is NOT a substitute to the ability to have ones vision filled with the sight of ocean while traveling along the main drag in the seaport. Imagine if one building was missing along the greenway, and how different it might be to actually SEE the ocean from dock square?

You don't get a sweeping vista now - there's a bar there. Also, this particular vista would only be of Logan at ground level. You don't get the good views until you're several stories up.

Even now there is no "sweeping vista" and to some extent never will be the piers on either side limit the views already and the current building on the site blocks the harbor as much as a taller building will. It's not like because it is just one story you can see over it when driving or walking in the area anyways. Plus the Harborwalk absolutely does address that as it will give a better view of the harbor than can currently be seen from that area as far as I can tell based on my experience and streetview. The only thing that isn't currently blocked that this project would block is the side of the Pier 4 residential building.

Board expressed concern that the corner of the building is a bit too close to the corner of the dock.

Is the Seaport really that great or just a bloated revenue cow to make up for the free ride all the colleges are getting?

Bring the cranes yesterday.

There are also a couple of big parks that are open to the water, with another to come on Pier 4, that provide "sweeping vistas," in addition to the Harborwalk itself. I don't think we need to reject a building proposal because it blocks sweeping vistas from automobiles as they drive down the main drag or drags of the Seaport. As is often emphasized in this forum, the pedestrian experience is what we should be focusing on and the Harborwalk and associated parks do that just fine.

Elkus presented these updated ground floor plans from the EPNF (that Hutchinson linked to) last night at the BCDC meeting.

Back of house areas have been defined. Also, I'm not sure if we knew, but the parking is actually 3 sub-levels and will be accessed by car elevators. Parking will be valet only, as the garage will use a stacking system where cars are packed tightly in. Right along the water will be a lovely blank transformer vault, though there really is no other place to put it. The BCDC had encouraged them to explore possibly moving the transformers up or down a level, but the site is tight and moving the transformers from the ground floor would result in larger units & infrastructure eating up floor space. They were concerned that the "money water view" was being eaten up by the transformer vault and restaurant kitchen. They acknowledged there may be no good solution due to the site constraints and the fanning gesture.

iA9ZXvn.png

pnjvqIB.png

The BCDC was greatly concerned about the "ground plane" and how it interacts with its neighbors. They were also rightly concerned about how pedestrians and autos will share the sidewalk that the cars and trucks will need to pass thru in order to get to the car elevators or loading dock. The BCDC requested that Elkus explore the ground plane's elevations, materiality and context in more depth for the next meeting.

Yeah, except that wide open section between this and the WTC.
That and the miles of harborwalk that part of is right in front of this building. Oh, and a brand new park to be where Anthony's is currently crumbling/being demolished.

The water is plenty available. We all know views aren't owned. I'm pretty sure you yourself have paraphrased this sentiment a number of times in your diatribes against the harbor towerites and all those that oppose Don C. Across the water. Now the hypocrite in you is concerned about water views.

A couple hundred people who buy and move in, will find the view of the water just fine. Beside the view of Logan perhaps.....

The difference between this development proposal vs Chiofaro Proposal is Chiofaro is KNOCKING A FUCKING GARAGE down that is already 150Ft of concrete blocking the entire waterfront access.

BIG DIFFERENCE. We need the Garage buried on that lot and he is willing to open up the entire ground floor. SO YES GIVE HIM THE FUCKING HEIGHT and MASS.

Maybe the ground floor might justify this development but that's how I feel.

Right along the water will be a lovely blank transformer vault, though there really is no other place to put it. The BCDC had encouraged them to explore possibly moving the transformers up or down a level, but the site is tight and moving the transformers from the ground floor would result in larger units & infrastructure eating up floor space. They were concerned that the "money water view" was being eaten up by the transformer vault and restaurant kitchen. They acknowledged there may be no good solution due to the site constraints and the fanning gesture.

Does it really matter what's inside if they do the exterior treatment well enough to hide it, from a BCDC perspective? They're only concerned with the aesthetics and planning. Whether they're providing enough rooms with a water view is the developer's problem.

The BCDC had encouraged them to explore possibly moving the transformers up or down a level, but the site is tight and moving the transformers from the ground floor would result in larger units & infrastructure eating up floor space.

Unless that vault is somehow watertight, I think their insurer would probably like them to move it up a level too...

Subterranean parking is surprising, as the current building is on a pier over water, not on terra firma.

Subterranean aquifer created via fluid dynamics could lower the water bill significantly.

The site is 10% too small. The building is 10% too large. When are the cranes coming?

Unless that vault is somehow watertight, I think their insurer would probably like them to move it up a level too...

Resiliency is discussed in the EPNF. Most notably, the floor to floor height of the first floor is 18' so in the future they can raise the floor height of the first floor if sea level rises as it is anticipated to. The first floor itself is raised off of the ground level slightly as is. Note the steps and ramp up to the condo lobby.

5.5.4 gives the details below:

5.5.2 Addressing Sea Level Rise
The Proponent has evaluated the Project Site in terms of flooding in combination with
projected sea level rise, as outlined in the Sea Level Rise: Understanding and Applying
Trends and Future Scenarios for Analysis and Planning prepared by the Massachusetts
Office of Coastal Zone Management (CZM). The CZM report indicated that sea level rise
could potentially reach 0.81 feet, 1.91 feet, 4.20 feet, and 6.83 feet in the Boston area
by the year 2100 under a range of emission scenarios established by the
Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change in their fourth comprehensive report. These
levels of sea level rise correspond to the following 100-year flood elevations in Boston
Harbor:
Lowest Scenario – Elevation 20.27 feet BCB
Intermediate Low Scenario – Elevation 21.37 feet BCB
Intermediate High Scenario – Elevation 23.66 feet BCB
Highest Scenario – Elevation 26.29 feet BCB
These flood elevations provide a proxy for evaluating design decisions. In addition, the
typical building design lifecycle for a mixed use building is approximately 50 years. The
Intermediate High Scenario, with sea level rise of 2.47 feet for the year 2075, may be a
more appropriate design elevation to compare to with an extreme flood event elevation
of 21.93 feet BCB. This flood elevation is accounted for in all building design decisions,
including the placement of critical infrastructure and utilities.

5.5.3 Site Design Measures
The Project will use resilient design practices to limit the Project Site’s susceptibility to
flooding from potential sea level rise in combination with extreme weather events.
Paving and landscaping will be designed for short-term flooding, Sidewalks will be sloped
toward tree pits, planted areas to capture stormwater during short rainstorms and
mediate localized flooding. Seaside, native and adapted plant material that is salt
tolerant and able to withstand occasional flooding will be used throughout the site.

5.5.4 Building Resiliency
The Project will include multiple approaches to providing resiliency against future
flooding, rising sea levels and changes in energy delivery.

• The ground floor consisting of the residential entry, restaurant space and back of house
    facilities will occupy an area that is 18’-0” floor to floor, this height is intended to allow a
    future modification to raise the ground floor elevation up to 4 feet above the current
    building design of Boston City Base elevation of 18.5’.
  • The base building structure and below grade parking garage will be designed with
    saltwater resistant rebar and water proofed envelope that can be extended upward to
    the height of the first level above grade. The primary structural slab at the ground floor
    will also be designed to support a secondary framing system of knee walls and saltwater
    resistant supports to allow the construction of a new raised entry level elevation in the
    future. This will provide 14’ floor to floor dimensions on both the future ground floor and
    second level restaurant spaces.
  • Primary mechanical systems will be designed as Modular/flexible infrastructure that can
    be modified and/or supplemented as required to meet future building needs. All Critical
    MEP/FP systems are being installed above the FEMA flood elevation to facilitate
    operability during flood conditions. Electrical transformers are being installed on a
    waterproofed elevated platform, above the FEMA flood elevation, to facilitate operability
    during flood conditions. Backflow prevention valves will be placed on storm system
    outlets to prevent the injection of a flood surcharge into the building interior.
  • Integrated flood gates will be provided at that entrance of the garage to prevent water from
    entering and elevator machine rooms will be located at the top of the shaft above the
    current and future sea levels.
  • The Proponent will locate emergency generators to the roof to protect critical systems
    during storm events at the current or projected sea level.
  • The Proponent will also investigate potential temporary systems that can be fitted to the
    building for future flood conditions and flooding more severe than the 100-year storm
    event.

I'm not arguing against this building. But this "pedestrian experience" thing gets blown way out of hand and their is much more to city life than the experience of walking right alongside the water. Allow me to correct "sweeping vista": what I mean is this: proximity to the water is a major asset for a city, and one of the biggest attributes of being by an ocean - and of the ocean itself - is the vast expanse and openness that an ocean view affords. Sure, here you're looking across at the airport, but there's a lot of water in between. It allows one of the only - actually, THE only - opportunity in a dense urban area to not have buildings looming over you. Please don't bother trying to retort some argument about going to live in the exurbs if I want that - I like the city and support density. But nothing beats the breath of psychological fresh air of crossing the Harvard Bridge and being briefly released from the hemming in, and an ocean view affords that too... despite the presence of the bars now, they are low slung and still allow that feeling of expansiveness and openness to be had by drivers and pedestrians alike who travel this corridor. And the park next to the ICA is on what will always be a side street, and soon to be completely walled off by buildings ( as we have all griped about on here, the second park between Northern and seaport does not exactly line up) so Seaport Boulevard, the main drag, will not really have any ocean view anymore. Filling in waterside plots of land is irreversible. It's not enough to just glibly say, "oh well it's no big deal because people will still be able to walk along the water". Views are important, and arguing that being able to stroll right along the body of water in question does nothing to change the experience for everyone who's on the other side of the building. I support this building, I guess, but only because it looks very good and overall will hopefully addsomething nice to the area. But the logic used above to ignore the principle of maintaining open views does not hold. They are two different arguments for two separate types of experience.

Any chance that URD who owns 100 Pier 4 appeals this project? The rooms facing Whiskey/ABG now will likely be significantly devalued since there new view is no longer the harbor but instead a wall.

I'm not arguing against this building. But this "pedestrian experience" thing gets blown way out of hand and their is much more to city life than the experience of walking right alongside the water. Allow me to correct "sweeping vista": what I mean is this: proximity to the water is a major asset for a city, and one of the biggest attributes of being by an ocean - and of the ocean itself - is the vast expanse and openness that an ocean view affords. Sure, here you're looking across at the airport, but there's a lot of water in between. It allows one of the only - actually, THE only - opportunity in a dense urban area to not have buildings looming over you. Please don't bother trying to retort some argument about going to live in the exurbs if I want that - I like the city and support density. But nothing beats the breath of psychological fresh air of crossing the Harvard Bridge and being briefly released from the hemming in, and an ocean view affords that too... despite the presence of the bars now, they are low slung and still allow that feeling of expansiveness and openness to be had by drivers and pedestrians alike who travel this corridor. And the park next to the ICA is on what will always be a side street, and soon to be completely walled off by buildings ( as we have all griped about on here, the second park between Northern and seaport does not exactly line up) so Seaport Boulevard, the main drag, will not really have any ocean view anymore. Filling in waterside plots of land is irreversible. It's not enough to just glibly say, "oh well it's no big deal because people will still be able to walk along the water". Views are important, and arguing that being able to stroll right along the body of water in question does nothing to change the experience for everyone who's on the other side of the building. I support this building, I guess, but only because it looks very good and overall will hopefully addsomething nice to the area. But the logic used above to ignore the principle of maintaining open views does not hold. They are two different arguments for two separate types of experience.

A view like this exists in Boston. It's called Castle Island; take a walk there some time. You guys make it seem like this is the last place in Boston where you can see the ocean. Give me a break.

Back