The St Regis Residences (former Whiskey Priest site) | 150 Seaport Blvd | Seaport

Re: Whiskey Priest/Atlantic Beer Garden Redevelopment | 150 Seaport Blvd | Seaport

Because if you conducted poll to the overall public do you believe the majority of the public is going to say keep these developments vs building something that is proposed? The Non-profit is deceiving the way they are using funds to help the overall public only to support personal agendas.
That is what is illegal about it.

Its not a real non-profit company its a slush fund that avoids paying taxes to prevent garbage like this. Basically bribing political officials. CLF is a shell for the Barr Foundation to funnel money into. This billionaire should be investigated at this point
The IRS should be all over this.

Totally getting off topic, but I wonder if the IRS could separate political/advocacy groups and charitable groups. Allow tax deductions for the charitable groups but not for political/advocacy groups. Of course you would need to develop a methodology to separate these two functions, and there will be a grey area.

Re: Whiskey Priest/Atlantic Beer Garden Redevelopment | 150 Seaport Blvd | Seaport

Totally getting off topic, but I wonder if the IRS could separate political/advocacy groups and charitable groups. Allow tax deductions for the charitable groups but not for political/advocacy groups. Of course you would need to develop a methodology to separate these two functions, and there will be a grey area.

They already have. 501(c)3 non profit versus 501(c)6 non profit.

And grey area? Ayup.

Great news

Off Topic? This is the type of bullshit that we have been dealing with to get these structures knocked down and developed.

Plain stupidity wasting everybody's time and money. The Investor's, the developers, the taxpayers, job creation because somebody blocking somebody view.

Its a fucking city look the other way.

Unfortunately obstructionism is quite relevant on how many extremely important projects right now. Your activism to help Boston plan a great City is badly needed. The CLF and their bastard kin are 3/4 of the topic.

Furthermore, Shirley Kressel pressuring the BPDA that it's ALL about how much money -- has greatly contributed to piss poor VE'd filth at 115 Federal.

The IRS isn't going to look at this because there's nothing illegal about advocacy via a non-profit. It's extremely common, and you have probably supported various organizations that regularly engage in political advocacy.

The legality is entirely separate from whether you LIKE the advocacy or not. As someone mentioned above with regard to abortion, you might not like what any particular org. does, but it's NOT ILLEGAL. If you want it to be illegal, then work to change the law.

If the CLF had received a favorable ruling I doubt they'd engage in a settlement. Most likely they were losing and maybe the developer made a token donation to the Old NIMBY's Home, where aged NIMBY's go in their twilight years when they can't launch nonsensical protests and bat shit crazy screeds at BPDA public hearings anymore.

The IRS isn't going to look at this because there's nothing illegal about advocacy via a non-profit. It's extremely common, and you have probably supported various organizations that regularly engage in political advocacy.

The legality is entirely separate from whether you LIKE the advocacy or not. As someone mentioned above with regard to abortion, you might not like what any particular org. does, but it's NOT ILLEGAL. If you want it to be illegal, then work to change the law.

It is illegal. This is why the taxpayers already fund state and govt agencies to represent both the city,the public and the developer. The taxpayers are already funding BRA, EPA, city Zoning commission to make sure that the city and the developers continue to move forward for all the best interested parties including the public.

When did it become legal that a billionaire can claim a non-profit company to avoid paying his fair share of taxes to only support a personal agenda? Now that non-profit agency is thrown into the loop to save the overall public from developing existing structures that completely undermine everything that does not represent for the overall public and taxpayers and private landowners?
IRS should be all over this using non-profit money to buy politicians and creating a slush fund for personal gain.

This is a billionaire throwing his non-profit funds to fight off developments that he personally does not like. WHY HAVE GOVT AGENCIES THEN? All we need is judges and lawyers. Why should anybody pay taxes.
I will just divert my personal money into my personal interests in the GOVT.

Just because billionaires make a lot of money doesn't mean they are always right or good people.

They need to pay their fair share in taxes and keep the system balanced.

Last edited:

^ Is there anything you're not completely misinformed and confused about?

^ Is there anything you're not completely misinformed and confused about?

Here comes the Archboston internet troll. Yeah---- Whats up?

As West notes, the docket indicates that the case was settled, not dismissed.

If I remember correctly, the case was CLF v. the Commonwealth, with Cronin as a secondary defendant. The settlement would primarily be between CLF and the Commonwealth.

My guess is that Cronin will make some design changes relative to the Harborwalk, and clearly distinguish between the Harborwalk and the patio/deck of his bar.

please make a token donation to the Old NIMBY's Home, where aged NIMBY's go in their twilight years when they can't launch nonsensical protests and bat shit crazy screeds at BPDA public hearings anymore.

These words carved in my sword for Evermore...

If the CLF had received a favorable ruling I doubt they'd engage in a settlement.

IMO, more likely the judge indicated he would rule, as a matter of law, in favor of the plaintiffs, and urged the parties to settle. That is, the judge was prepared to rule that the Commonwealth in its permitting decision did not follow the law and/or its own regulations. The lead defendant in this case is the Commonwealth. CLF's co-plaintiffs were eight? citizens from various communities in Massachusetts, all alleging or prepared to allege harm to them and their community if the Commonwealth's permitting decision was allowed to stand.

If CLF had lost in Superior Court, they could and would appeal, which might take several years of litigation. And if the Commonwealth had insisted on going to trial, knowing it might lose, and intending to appeal that decision to a higher court, this also would prolong the process. All the while, Cronin, who is a bystander at this point, is left in limbo. Time is money.

^^^ All this said, I don't practice law in Massachusetts, and even with the case number, I couldn't find the docket entry that West mentioned.

There were no rulings of any substance, only a few procedural things. So I can’t see any indication in the docket of anyone getting any traction with the judge. In the grand scheme of litigation processes, this case settled in VERY early times.

It’s of course possible the judge was opining informally. Especially if she saw a general settlement outline. “Cut the obvious deal and get this off my docket” is always the preferred choice for judges, who do NOT get paid by billable hours.

The docket web site is clunky as hell. I got a result on about the fourth try, using “Cronin” as the search term and setting date range to the beginning of the case, not the end. And then found entire docket listing for entire case range. Searching on a date range that included today got me nada. This is sadly typical for court dockets in every jurisdiction I’ve ever tried. One of my coworkers is a paralegal and she taught me long ago that it’s like throwing pasta at the wall until something sticks: just keep trying different search terms and date ranges.

There are plenty of judges who are willing to come to grips with the merits at status conferences. Their work shows up as a docket entry only once per case: stipulation of dismissal.

The actual words of wisdom delivered to the litigants are not memorialized.

Looks like the tower has underwent some changes. I wont post what it looked like before the renders are located in this thread. The ground level has changed, the blank wall is not as pronounced, there is now an overhang over seaport blvd, the garages are now not on seaport blvd anymore (huge improvement), and also on the water side the balconies overhang. I like it. If you want to compare either google 150 seaport or look back in the thread not sure what pages theyre all on.

170607_150Seaport_Seaport_ave_UPDATE.jpg

170607_150Seaport_Residential_Entrance.jpg

170607_150Seaport_Bird_sEye_UPDATE.jpg

170607_150Seaport_Northeast.jpg

170607_150Seaport_B_st_UDPATE.jpg

170607_150Seaport_Dusk_UPDATE.jpg

Last edited:

For those that still hate the seaport dont forget this goes right behind it. Big things are coming this year its really gonna finally take shape.

Boston-Seaport-Square-Master-Plan-by-KPF-04.jpg

and then this goes next to that

boston-seaport-1024x683.jpg

170607_150Seaport_Northeast.jpg

This I suspect is part of what CLF contested. The Harborwalk appears, for all intents and purposes, to be a private terrace for an outdoor bar / imbibing area. The beer garden gone upscale.

You could almost say the same where the Harbor Walk passes the ICA, Liberty Wharf, the future Pier 4, or any other number of venues along it's path. I do think most people know that Harbor walk is public and frankly, it's a good thing to have restaurants and bars lining parts of it. We were in Chicago this past summer and their River Walk is just freaking beautiful, similar to our Harbor walk but along the downtown Chicago river and it is literally lined with restaurants, bars, etc...sometimes to the point of spilling over onto the walk itself. Crowded and festive and a wonderful thing for the people of Chicago. The High Line in NYC is nice, the Riverwalk is amazing! My one small complaint about the Harbor Walk is that there are too few places to just sit and have a drink along the Harbor (love the Intercontinental outdoor bar). That hopefully will change somewhat with this development and Pier 4. Love the updated pics, Stick, thanks.

This I suspect is part of what CLF contested. The Harborwalk appears, for all intents and purposes, to be a private terrace for an outdoor bar / imbibing area. The beer garden gone upscale.

I'm reading that picture differently from you. The Harborwalk has no tables on it and has a different flooring...

We know what the CLF contested. They argued that the Harborwalk was legally required to be located on dry land, while this project builds it out over the harbor. It was a technicality and a stupid argument that should be resolved by changing the law.

Back