The Sudbury (Bulfinch Crossing Residential Tower) | 50 Sudbury St | GCG Phase I | Gov't Center

Hi Kriterion,

I see you are new here and we really appreciate seeing new members again! I just want to mention that that particular question is a bit of a forum etiquette faux pas. When there is news, it hits aB very quickly, so we try not to bump a quiet thread just to ask for news. There is a thread called "Whats going on with X" that you can always post in to ask for news about any building.

Hope is helpful, and Welcome!

Thanks for the welcome, fattony. Apologies for the gaffe. Will keep it in mind going forward.

I had been waiting for like 4 months to get approved for posting and was checking these forums daily. The really weird thing is, I was not at all interested in architecture (I'm still not), and although I've been into urbanism and urban development for the past several years, I never thought I'd start posting in a forum about it (lol), and didn't even think there was a forum for it.

Anyways, sorry for going off topic, but I'm happy to have found this forum. Is there a place for new member intros?

All buildings in boston are elevated on the "boston base" elevation system which unifies all building heights on a common system. It is not ever true that all buildings first floors are at elevation 0. It is not even true that a building itself has a common elevation at its perimeter, so , a common base works.. That is why on earth. It makes perfect and good sense.

cca

Boston base is very similar but different than NGVD I believe. Not sure why we don't use the national level, but that's what makes us Boston.

So is this officially u/c???

Wiki article says it is and gives a completion date of 2020.

^^i am averse to knocking a developer.

Demolition of the Garage, aside (that was a complicated phase). If you hit the stopwatch at some point during that phase,

Millennium would have been digging the hole and installing piles before the demo was near done, and be pouring concrete on the 20th floor by now.

I wish someone would put a tower on the lower side of the Verizon building before we have shadow laws for City Hall Plaza.

So is this officially u/c???

Wiki article says it is and gives a completion date of 2020.

Well, it looks like it's in site prep.

Slowest project ever built...

It is under construction and has been since they started taking down the corner of the garage. The enabling package for this tower involved an incredibly complicated partial garage demo which not only featured physical demolition of the concrete structure, but also relocating underground utilities and reorganizing internal garage circulation.

They're forming the core now and it will start to rise soon. It's not easy to plop a tower where an active garage currently stands.

It's not easy to plop a tower where an active garage currently stands.

Huh, so you're telling me you can't just click the bulldozer button, demolish the garage, and then plop a skyscraper like in Simcity?

If you want them to hurry up, just walk down there and tell the foreman, that there is a internet forum of about 50 people whining and complaining about VE, alucobond and stumpy buildings who would really appreciate it if you could get a few floors above ground built by Labor Day.
I am sure he will be amenable to the request.

It is under construction and has been since they started taking down the corner of the garage. The enabling package for this tower involved an incredibly complicated partial garage demo which not only featured physical demolition of the concrete structure, but also relocating underground utilities and reorganizing internal garage circulation.

They're forming the core now and it will start to rise soon. It's not easy to plop a tower where an active garage currently stands.

Ya I don’t care about any of that. Just so slow.

Does Vegas have a book on how fast buildings are constructed? Why would anyone care? What could it possible matter to anyone who isn't financially invested the project? I just don't get it.

Perhaps the forum should be composing a letter to the R&D teams at Pfizer, Eli Lilly, and Bayer to develop a whole new class of erectile dysfunction drugs.

Yeah, i knew i'd regret posting that.

The truth is; HYM is doing remarkable things considering they haven't been around that long.

i'm a lousy backseat driver.

Huh, so you're telling me you can't just click the bulldozer button, demolish the garage, and then plop a skyscraper like in Simcity?

Haha.

Actually, tho, since it was a partial demo, really we’d be talking about SCURK, not SimCity hehe. But that’s fullblown nerding out — anyone have that back in the day?

That was actually my original response, but I changed it in favor of killing it with facts.

Ya I don’t care about any of that. Just so slow.

Part of the beauty of architecture & construction is in its complexity and processes. After it's finished, when you consider what it took to get that tower here, it makes it even more exciting & fascinating.

Other cities are able to put up buildings much quicker because they don't have to worry about things like building over tunnels, demolishing current structures, building on fill, etc. On SSC I see people complaining when it takes a building a year between breaking ground to actually going vertical. Here it takes AT LEAST a year, and up to 2, due to the extra complexities involved.

The bigger issue is why it often takes 3-5+ years to get everything approved, why there seem to be 20 different approval hurdles to jump through, and then why developers who are approved often seem to sit on the plans for another 1-2+ years before even starting the ultra-long construction process.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find any other city in the entire world that has a longer average timeframe from proposal to completion for a 400'+ building.

Back