The Sudbury (Bulfinch Crossing Residential Tower) | 50 Sudbury St | GCG Phase I | Gov't Center

It now looks tired and out of place, but as for its architecture by itself, I like it as well. It looks best in photos of it being constructed. All that being said, it is so out of place and dated I would rather see it torn down at this point (at least the long, low building).

Not likely to happen. GSA just spent a ton of money putting in new windows over the past few years, and are now upgrading lighting and HVAC systems.

Can always count on you to drag a thread kicking & screaming back on topic, BeeLine. Thanks for the pix! =)

Very exciting to see the demo.

OSHA be damned

32505289395_9ddc0760c2_k-1.jpg

It least it's not chrome-plated shovels in a box of sand!

Great pix.

Why didn't they build the tower on the garage instead of next to part of it?

Great pix.

Why didn't they build the tower on the garage instead of next to part of it?

Garage structure wouldn't be able to support the tower. It'd be one thing if they planned for a ~490' tower to rest atop it. But they did not. The tower requires a much more substantial foundation, presumably, than the garage has.

When are we supposed to see the tower actually rising out of the ground? This site is such a tease. I was 100% under the impression that the residential tower could rise without any demolition to the garage, but then the office tower needed that additional work done. It looks like both buildings need work on the garage before they can rise.

I honestly expected to see this out of the ground at least 6 months ago. CSC too. North Station podium too. Do things really move in slow motion around here, or am I just overly optimistic?

Garage structure wouldn't be able to support the tower. It'd be one thing if they planned for a ~490' tower to rest atop it. But they did not. The tower requires a much more substantial foundation, presumably, than the garage has.

ah. thanks.

When are we supposed to see the tower actually rising out of the ground? This site is such a tease. I was 100% under the impression that the residential tower could rise without any demolition to the garage, but then the office tower needed that additional work done. It looks like both buildings need work on the garage before they can rise.

I honestly expected to see this out of the ground at least 6 months ago. CSC too. North Station podium too. Do things really move in slow motion around here, or am I just overly optimistic?

We are in Boston, after all.

You must be new to Boston. It is moving slow because the City is involved in the project.

Both! These sites all vary significantly in terms of how much foundation work is necessary for the structures to rise.

Look at The Merano (and other CA Tunnel Toppers)...that thing flew because the foundation was already complete (part of the Big Dig), so the structure rose from the ground immediately.

One Dalton had an extreme amount of site prep...removing old subterranean fuel tanks, remediation, then installing a deep-piles-to-bedrock foundation. One Dalton is as much scope as it takes. Everything else is somewhere between.

DZH you are just too optimistic I think. I compared these projects to similar ones in other cities and none of these have had the initial foundation preparation stage take longer than average. If you want to see a project that had major delays and took way longer than would be expected for foundation take a look at the W Hotel tower in philadelphia thread on Skyscraperpage.com.

Back