The Sudbury (Bulfinch Crossing Residential Tower) | 50 Sudbury St | GCG Phase I | Gov't Center

I'm sorry, but it must be said. To not understand nor appreciate the work involved to do any of this is absurd.

When are we supposed to see the tower actually rising out of the ground? This site is such a tease. I was 100% under the impression that the residential tower could rise without any demolition to the garage, but then the office tower needed that additional work done. It looks like both buildings need work on the garage before they can rise.

I honestly expected to see this out of the ground at least 6 months ago. CSC too. North Station podium too. Do things really move in slow motion around here, or am I just overly optimistic?

They have to take down a whole section of the garage first, then start the tower. The demo/structural work for the garage has been going on for a while, but if you think about it, its fairly complex to support and existing, in use, garage while taking down part of it. There is going to be a slot of garage gone down to the ground before they can start going up again. The whole project proposed wrapping the garage in building, which will be great at the street level. Much less deadening even at just a residential building.

North Station podium too.

I agree with you on this one. Seems like it's been a year of digging with little progress to show for it (i.e. doesn't seem anywhere close to rising above ground).

I'm sorry, but it must be said. To not understand nor appreciate the work involved to do any of this is absurd.

+1. I think a few forumers have the 'Simcity' mentality, that you can just plop a building and it will start growing instantly. Hence why some of them constantly throw around the idea of demolishing existing high-rises to build a supertall like it's all willy-nilly.

+1 - It's not "optimism." It's pure ignorance & lack of appreciation of how buildings are actually constructed.

I know nothing about construction, other than what I have learned here over the years, but this project looks very complex and IMO, the developers are busily hacking away at the garage and are sharing a lot online on their progress. I expect that this one will take a while and that is ok as what is there now is awful.

I know nothing about construction, other than what I have learned here over the years, but this project looks very complex and IMO, the developers are busily hacking away at the garage and are sharing a lot online on their progress. I expect that this one will take a while and that is ok as what is there now is awful.

I'd respectfully call this a medium complexity project in the realm of 450'+ construction. Let me clarify:

Yes they have to take down the garage, and yes it's a from-scratch foundation system. But - that said - they are building on terra ferma, and it's modest height, no crazy cantilevers, no serious obstacles underneath...

To qualify my assessment: Copley Place Tower (should it ever be build) would be on the more extreme end of complexity; One Dalton would be close too. In the case of Copley, they are straddling the pike and have access to mere slivers of terra firma, on which they need to drill very deep piles. One Dalton has what will end up being one of the most complex foundation systems in Boston - given that they needed to go deep and have a postage-stamp sized base for a tall tower.

Don't get me wrong, this is a serious project and seems to be well managed so far...but it's not quite on the "very complex" end of the spectrum w/ regard to what's going on in Boston right now. Part of what took a while for this to get going was the internal garage work to install new garage traffic pattern.

I'd respectfully call this a medium complexity project in the realm of 450'+ construction. Let me clarify:

Yes they have to take down the garage, and yes it's a from-scratch foundation system. But - that said - they are building on terra ferma, and it's modest height, no crazy cantilevers, no serious obstacles underneath...

To qualify my assessment: Copley Place Tower (should it ever be build) would be on the more extreme end of complexity; One Dalton would be close too. In the case of Copley, they are straddling the pike and have access to mere slivers of terra firma, on which they need to drill very deep piles. One Dalton has what will end up being one of the most complex foundation systems in Boston - given that they needed to go deep and have a postage-stamp sized base for a tall tower.

Don't get me wrong, this is a serious project and seems to be well managed so far...but it's not quite on the "very complex" end of the spectrum w/ regard to what's going on in Boston right now. Part of what took a while for this to get going was the internal garage work to install new garage traffic pattern.

The deconstruction of the garage is a classic example of a project that is not particularly complex, but by its nature it is slow. There are lots of details to be covered in separating the garage sections and shoring up the part that will remain before the deconstruction can be completed. These are taking place on every floor of the garage, in the context of a still active garage. So it is a slow, methodical process.

And real foundation work cannot start until the garage section is deconstructed.

So this is just going to take some time, and people need to accept that.

The deconstruction of the garage is a classic example of a project that is not particularly complex, but by its nature it is slow. There are lots of details to be covered in separating the garage sections and shoring up the part that will remain before the deconstruction can be completed. These are taking place on every floor of the garage, in the context of a still active garage. So it is a slow, methodical process.

And real foundation work cannot start until the garage section is deconstructed.

So this is just going to take some time, and people need to accept that.

Fully agree, and well said. I guess what I was trying to draw attention too is that fast/slow doesn't always directly correspond with engineering complexity. This is moderate eng. complexity coupled with logistically-time-consuming project. Copley would be a logistically and engineering complex project (e.g., YEARS to build that thing if it ever goes up)

^ yes all of this, and also: remember that they have been building an entirely new ramp system (i.e. for cars to drive from one level of the garage to the next) within the existing footprint of the garage, so that they can close the existing entrances (and eventually demolish the spiral ramp tower with the sequia mural on the merrimac st side.)

i asked the crowned heads of MP, if the right circumstances presented.... i didn't have to go far into it–where i was politely rebuffed. Let's just say MP considers 115 Fed low hanging fruit compared to Copley Place. i thought back to my unkind words toward the developer (sigh).

They have no interest in building at Columbus Ctr either.

Last edited:
How much of the garage do they have to demolish?

For the residential tower, just the section they are demolishing currently - all the way to the ground I believe. Future phases will require additional demolition.

Unless something changed they are also going to rebuild the garage on both sides to keep much of the parking but while keeping it hidden in the new tower and above the lobbies.

Unless something changed they are also going to rebuild the garage on both sides to keep much of the parking but while keeping it hidden in the new tower and above the lobbies.

Wow. That is a good idea. Parking garages are more than frequently eyesores.

Reminder of what this phase entails:

YiQYNHWh.png

3Z7hHYah.png

LGVHMysh.png

jsBkugeh.png

poyhT2lh.png

PNHgrnKh.png

jTgYlWDh.png

Back