The Sudbury (Bulfinch Crossing Residential Tower) | 50 Sudbury St | GCG Phase I | Gov't Center

This is probably the most important project u/c right now and also above previous developments. That garage absolutely demolishes the quality of street life in that section and its a huge eye sore. This will allow a corridor view to the custom house tower, great architecture planned, retaining many parking spots...but in a modern iteration.

This whole area of the city is really coming around and its going to be something we are proud of. Im glad they went out on a limb and came back with some break the mold architecture in a centrally located area. The city is getting better and better by the year and I'm so happy that we are retaining the old fabric as well. Not if we can just really start moving forward on many transit projects that are long overdue its going to be a totally different city. Honestly in the 90's Boston was much a mis match of run down bildings, terrible 1970s box architecture, and gridlock traffic. As much as we complain about the pace of development were really doing a lot to improve the city smartly. Looking forward to what the future hgolds.

Looking at London is a perfect example of how filler background buildings as annoying as they are are actually a critical part of having a cohesive skyline. London is full of 1 offs trying to be the "one" and be the star of the show. Were actually lucky to have a very good base of filler so when we build the stand outs they stand out. Just look at how good the skyline looks after MT. Your eye is naturally sent to the focal point and thats what this is. Then the unassuming buildings surround it give you a reason to notice MT vs a bunch of wild dubai/london towers. I think were going in the exact right direction and Boston is becoming better because of it.

Wow that's alot of bike parking. Maybe they're betting on Boston becoming America's Copenhagen.

It's probably because they have to brace the remaining garage. It's not a simple demo process.

which resident tower will rise first.....

50 Sudbury Street or 80 Causeway Street?

residentialtower_interior_ph-view_gallery_image.jpg

residentialtower_sudbury_bowker_image.jpg

residentialtower_sudbury_congress_image.jpg

residentialtower_hero_dusk_gallery_image.jpg

bulfinchcrossing.com

Anyone know whats being used for the facade? Some pictures make it look like aluminum others make it look like the usual white precast. If anyone knows what they're going to be using it would be great to know.

Anyone know whats being used for the facade? Some pictures make it look like aluminum others make it look like the usual white precast. If anyone knows what they're going to be using it would be great to know.

The EPNF indicated metal.

3.4.2 Character and Materials
Figure 3.5a through Figure 3.5c present project renderings. The proposed residential building
façade will be composed of a mixture of glass and metal panels in varying shades of gray. This
design technique will be used to enhance the depth of the building’s massing, making some
components appear to recede while others appear to project from the overall façade. The
design team determined this desired materiality by working from both the outside in and the
inside out.
The design team considered the proposed building’s desired character at a variety of different
scales and perspectives. From a distance, the building’s design reads as a strong, singular
structure with clean vertical lines. Closer up, it is possible to distinguish between the varying
shades of color of each of the vertical blocks, adding depth and interest to the proposed
building as a piece of art and architecture within the neighborhood.
Working from the inside out, the team chose large glass panels that will afford residents
unparalleled views of the city from their living spaces and more narrow glass panels for other
rooms to create a sense of intimacy in studies and bedrooms. The window patterning also
marks the building as a residential space and contributes to its unique identity in the
neighborhood. Together, this diversity of window sizes, colors, and materials creates a
sophisticated character for the proposed residential building.

Thats great to know we need some different materials. It looks like its matte vs beekmam place which is extremely shiny. I think this is going to look incredible they could have copped out to white precast, saved money, and noone would have cared. Instead theyre putting in the effort to deliver a great product.

I like that they didn't just follow the trend to make a sheer glass facade and put mullions (is this the right word) in. I can't wait to see how this fits into the skyline.

The views of the harbor in that render are jaw dropping. I wonder if the metal will look like 8 Spruce Street (Gehry Building).

Back