The Sudbury (Bulfinch Crossing Residential Tower) | 50 Sudbury St | GCG Phase I | Gov't Center

Re: Bulfinch Crossing Residential Tower (GCG Phase I) | 50 New Sudbury St | Gov't Cen

I hate large development info being posting the catch-all neighborhood/master plan threads. It's impossible to find info/pictures of specific projects. As I've said in the past, catch-all threads should only be used for small infill.

I think the opposite will happen here; some will update the project thread, some will update the phase thread, and discussions and pictures will get split between the two. Either that or the project thread will just die as the phase thread takes over.

Again, I know of zero examples on this forum where there is a project thread as well as phase threads... Will each Hub on Causeway phase get its own thread? That's a really close parallel to this project -- residential and office towers rising out of the same garage/podium, with the residential going up first and the office waiting for a tenant.

But whatever, do what you will. I don't really care that much...

Re: Bulfinch Crossing Residential/Phase I GCG/50 New Sudbury/Boston

If each phase/building gets its own thread, what goes in the general "Bulfinch Crossing" thread?

You raise good points; I guess I see this as several buildings (there can conceivably be at least 6 different buildings, per the early project documentation)...and I just have this gut feel that there will be lack of continuity and that we'll want to bring closure to some, while independently tracking others. To your question - we would use the Bulfinch Crossing thread to track the murmurings of what might be coming next before things launch.

But I could totally go either way on this; not a huge deal. I can see it both ways.

Re: Bulfinch Crossing Residential/Phase I GCG/50 New Sudbury/Boston

its also Sudbury Street, not New Sudbury Street so thats a few more characters saved.

Good catch. I walk down this street every day, you would think I would know it's name.

For the record I'm with JumboBuc on this, but we'll see how it plays out. If the discussion keeps getting split between the two threads, I'm just going to combine them.

Again, I know of zero examples on this forum where there is a project thread as well as phase threads... Will each Hub on Causeway phase get its own thread? That's a really close parallel to this project -- residential and office towers rising out of the same garage/podium, with the residential going up first and the office waiting for a tenant.
Actually yes. Seaport Square is one of them. There is a general Seaport Square master plan thread and then there are separate project threads. Same thing with Fan Pier. Same thing with Pier 4.

Good catch. I walk down this street every day, you would think I would know it's name.

For the record I'm with JumboBuc on this, but we'll see how it plays out. If the discussion keeps getting split between the two threads, I'm just going to combine them.
The City of Boston itself sometimes mistakes it as New Sudbury St.

Re: Bulfinch Crossing | Congress Street Garage | West End

A bit higher today ...

QAbtFy

https://flic.kr/p/QAbtFy

Debbie Downer alert: I hope I am dead wrong but I don't see the office tower being built within the next decade. However, if I had to choose between the two, I'd much rather the residential and the life it will bring to this part of town.

Couldn't agree more on both counts. The residential tower has a really soothing effect in this corner of America's greatest urban renewal nightmare.

Haven't we already built an obscene amount of offices? The office tower presents outlandish additional supply in a market drowning in new supply.... Add South Station running ahead of this property by years + the Seaport adding still more supply next to our already soft Downtown market. Then BP/DN at TD Garden. How then, can this be anything but the 'next cycle....' ??

Or; just do another narrow tower; hotel on the lower floors and residences on top, while keeping the basics of the current design.

The garage revenue; (FULL) gives HYM huge flexibility to put off the office tower for years.... unless;

1. A large financial institution comes to Boston.....

2. Amazon is opening something like 200,000 sq ft in Boston. Perhaps they make a committment or other player/s get involved.

extremely remote scenario, +/- tinfoil hat;

3. some combination of mixed agencies; tenant swapping for the redevelopment of 1 or more parcels.... the Federal Govt leases the entire building, or the Mass.gov becomes a major tenant....

4. musical chairs between multiple .gov agencies that includes the partial redevelopment of the JFK Fed complex, State Service Bldg, or other agency, or other tenant/s in Downtown?

*It is my belief that this type of scenario is how the remaining area will be redeveloped. That 1 Congress Office tower could somehow play a role in that, would seem extraordinarily remote. It would require an unprecedented level of cooperation and movement across multiple agencies (in a town where we can't even get the Post Office Annex moved 12 blocks.)

5. medical offices + business offices? Mass General medical campus is speeding toward an extreme shortage of capacity.

Last edited:
Not to be a prick, but wouldn't these be comments for the general Bulfinch Crossing thread and not the Bulfinch Crossing Residential Tower thread?

Guilty; but if i understood correctly, Mod said don't bump the other thread unless for a 'good' reason. ...which is likely years away. That thread could be locked except when HYM issues announcements about office tower.

Haven't we already built an obscene amount of offices? The office tower presents outlandish additional supply in a market drowning in new supply.... Add South Station running ahead of this property by years + the Seaport adding still more supply next to our already soft Downtown market. Then BP/DN at TD Garden. How then, can this be anything but the 'next cycle....'

There is a lot of new supply, but we are hardly drowning. Vacancies are low and rents remain quite high. Boston is cheaper than Cambridge, but both are among the most expensive office markets in the country (world?). Just like in the housing market, it is better for the renters (i.e. businesses, not the developers and landlords) when there is a health vacancy rate that allows more breathing room for moving around, expanding, and starting new businesses.

C2FiW21XEAASL1h.jpg

This was posted on the 13th from the Bulfinch Crossing Twitter page.

Good eye! Looks like they're stripped down to the shell in that corner of the office suite, ready for the wrecking ball.

C2FiW21XEAASL1h.jpg

This was posted on the 13th from the Bulfinch Crossing Twitter page.
My kind of construction. ;-) Looks like they're possibly relocating a sanitary main (or rain leader) or laying some new connections for the tower utilities to connect to. Some good ol' bell & spigot piping.

Back