The Sudbury (Bulfinch Crossing Residential Tower) | 50 Sudbury St | GCG Phase I | Gov't Center

no^
A8BEDD99-FFB3-4596-BFDE-E9F7C450EE69.jpeg
51915155-CCAE-4778-A117-2F2ACD60915C.jpeg
2AEF6BB9-DA64-4A20-867E-70D6F50C270D.jpeg
630A3CF7-EC40-4379-9E5F-FC423175B9F6.jpeg
74FE05B5-ED7C-406F-8340-F1EBFAF6F3D3.jpeg
184945D6-6231-48D5-A013-5C43F89412C2.jpeg
EEBCE84C-8020-43CD-A1CD-23449D36500B.jpeg
59466BD8-778C-4FE7-AD68-8E128D6A3DFC.jpeg
3C644C44-1B56-4739-B440-EC218D73B396.jpeg

The way it flows with JFK in this pic is really incredible. I'm sure it was intentional. Gotta give credit where credit is due!
Yes, there is some high quality architectural echoing going on there. The flow and synergies are really well done.

What a masterpiece this building is. This and the Millenium Tower are the two best new buildings in Boston during the last several decades.

Calm down there. I think you are giving this too much credit. It is replacing an eye sore so it looks much better in comparison. But this is a very middle of the road building at best.

Respectfully disagree. I think this is every bit as good as Charlie_mta and others have suggested -- particularly in person. And it's fine to get excited and positive about a Boston development. Makes for a nice change of pace around here.

Calm down there. I think you are giving this too much credit. It is replacing an eye sore so it looks much better in comparison. But this is a very middle of the road building at best.
I'm comparing it to the Avalon and the two towers at the Hub on Causeway, plus some of the other marginal ones in the last 10 years. To me it's an absolute standout.

What a masterpiece this building is. This and the Millenium Tower are the two best new buildings in Boston during the last several decades.

i would add 1 Dalton, Lovejoy Wharf & Atlantic Wharf right off, then, SST, Winthrop Sq & Post Office Sq as well. All these additions + Central Wharf do so much to balance out the (Kevin) White era low a/r buildings, and edify their appearance. Downtown is getting a reset.
The process winning out at Winthrop Sq was a sight to behold.

This one: A few questioned the choice of materials. We then, realized they'd been selected to blend seamlessly, and raise the appearance of the Garage, w/ the JFK (high & low) as co-benefactors. It worked so well.... then considering how much the Nimby North End-ers fought these positive additions--raises it to an 'extremely good' outcome by Boston standards.

One of the Congress St buildings was planned to rise ~748. (the office tower). Instead of nixing 8~10 floors for each, leaving 75' up on the resident tower would have raised it to the "incredible" realm.

The 1960's thru 1990's height (& massings) left Downtown looking very dated. You didn't need to go insanely tall to 'fix' it. Take the additions of MT, SST, Winthrop Sq & P.O.S. (height, modernity & glass)....

Next, w/ the step ups already in place, a few blocks in the West End reaching pinnacle height in the Copley Tower~Trump Tower range (about 625~660') would have transformed Downtown.

The FAA was not the issue (except at Winthrop Square). 'Puritans' thwarted the process of building Downtown's peaks in proportion to Boston's size. Their influence is so over the top, they affect the way we talk about current proposals and future planning.

In San Francisco, Seattle or Boston, there's only so much >650' height you can do. Builders desire a lower range (45-52 floors). (3) apt towers, The Alcott, Hub Resident & 50 Sudbury would have gone well taller. (A huge opportunity, lost).

We're only talking about a few blocks. A filter isn't required when speaking about the Downtown area.

Of course. In San Francisco, Chicago or Miami--this is very much that.
An afternoon in NYC provides a vitamin shot of perspective:
50 Sudbury fills the background somewhere in L.I. City.

Last edited:
I am a little confused on the height of these buildings here. From what I understand the highest occupied floor will be 485' tall, yet, the crown on the residential building will be 547'? And for One Congress State Street HQ, the highest occupied floor will be 520' but the crown will be 647'. Do I have this right?

Looking good. A straight shot up with only one setback and an emphasis on verticality, none of the usual tricks to try to make it look shorter.

I wasn't a big fan of this building, but it does look really nice in-person, especially from the Boston Public Market building. I took a walk out to the end of the new Pier 4 Park on Sunday night, and this tower and the towers at North Station look very nice on the skyline. (Sorry, lighting wasn't good for iphone pictures.)

It's definitely a lot less bulky on the skyline than it appeared it would be from the renders. It's a huge win from most of my suburban vantage points.

I remember how I used to say that when you look at a picture of the Boston skyline, you wouldn't be able to tell if it was taken in the 80s or in the present because nothing really change. The addition of the new towers at the northern end of Boston really has changed that.

Back