Twenty Two Liberty @ Fan Pier | 22 Liberty Drive - Parcel C | Seaport

Re: Twenty Two Liberty @ Fan Pier | 22 Liberty Drive | Seaport

Space in Boston is so valuable and we're on the verge of running out of it

I really don't think there is a space shortage at all in Boston. The Seaport even with the current construction is only going to be partially filled in. Then there are the parcels next to South Station and over the CAT tunnel entrances, Allston Toll yards, pretty much all of Roxbury, open air parking lots downtown (looking at your Chinatown and Theater District). There's also plenty of stuff that could be torn down and built over.

I'm really diggin' the way they're addressing this "street corner" here. While completely different buildings with different locations, abutting roads and geometries, I just remember so much discussion about Liberty Mutual missing out on a great opportunity to address their building's prominent corner; this one fares much better in my opinion.

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

Thought this would be a more crystalline facade with transparency and a good foil to the nauseatingly mirrored facades around it...tell me that that's only tinted plastic film which will be removed! Please....

^ Yeah, it's much darker and more mirrored than it appeared in the marketing materials.

I kind of like the darkness. I see this thing all the time from my girlfriends place at the Harbor Towers, and it really stands out.

^I agree - so far, it looks very staid and... oceanic.

I kind of like the darkness. I see this thing all the time from my girlfriends place at the Harbor Towers, and it really stands out.

Pics or your girlfriend doesn't exist. I'm still far from sold on this one.

Here are a couple of rendering tricks:

- Always render at dusk. Everything looks more transparent.
- Always fake the transparency of the glass. Given the way we have to manage energy codes. Glass has to have pretty serious Low-E coating to perform to meet codes. If not coated, the glass has to have a certain tint/reflectivity. The days of unshaded/untinited/unscreened/uncoated glass are long since gone.

Buyer Beware.

cca

Ps. You can do clear glass if you do it in triple panes or in a double wall configuration (see Cambridge Public Library/Tata Hall.)

The glass looks good we have too many light blue buildings in Boston as is we need more dark blue and even black glass.

- Always fake the transparency of the glass. Given the way we have to manage energy codes. Glass has to have pretty serious Low-E coating to perform to meet codes. If not coated, the glass has to have a certain tint/reflectivity. The days of unshaded/untinited/unscreened/uncoated glass are long since gone.

Buyer Beware.

cca

Ps. You can do clear glass if you do it in triple panes or in a double wall configuration (see Cambridge Public Library/Tata Hall.)

CCA -- New materials to coat glass and produce a "tailor it to your specs" catalog of spectral and other properties are some of the first products of the Nano-level manipulations of materials

http://newsoffice.mit.edu/2012/glare-dust-and-fog-free-glass-0426
Through a glass, clearly
MIT researchers find a way to make glass that’s anti-fogging, self-cleaning and free of glare.
David L. Chandler, MIT News Office
April 26, 2012

One of the most instantly recognizable features of glass is the way it reflects light. But a new way of creating surface textures on glass, developed by researchers at MIT, virtually eliminates reflections, producing glass that is almost unrecognizable because of its absence of glare — and whose surface causes water droplets to bounce right off, like tiny rubber balls.

20120425172323-1.jpg

A piece of glass that has one half with a normal flat surface, and the other with the new patterned surface, demonstrates the anti-fogging properties that the patterning provides.
Image: Kyoo-Chul Park and Hyungryul Choi

20120425172324-2_0.jpg

closeup of the nano-patterned surface
Through a process involving thin layers of material deposited on a surface and then selectively etched away, the MIT team produced a surface covered with tiny cones, each five times taller than their width. This pattern prevents reflections, while at the same time repelling water from the surface.
Image: Hyungryul Choi and Kyoo-Chul Park
REf -- for scale
typical wavelengths of visible light are about 600 nm
a human hair is about 100,000 nm

Already -- I've seen demonstrations of multilayer patterned coatings which if properly applied could make the building literally invisible in the Start Trek "Cloaking Device" sense

Buyer Beware.

cca

Very informative post, I think I'm beginning to understand why I've been so disappointed, from an aesthetic point of view, in the glass used in many new buildings. I do, however, love the glass in Cambridge Public Library and now I know why! IMO the more transparency the better.

Buyer Beware.

cca

cca, if this is a story of energy codes, how is it that PWC (101 Seaport Boulevard) and Goodwin Proctor (100 Northern Ave) both appear to have much lighter, more transparent glass and they're all going up concurrently within a radius of just a couple of blocks? Is it office vs. residential?

Goodwin Proctor (100 Northern Ave):

PWC (101 Seaport Boulevard):

Twenty-Two Liberty:

Twenty-Two Liberty Render:
EmycuIt.jpg

Of course we don't want every building to have the same glass, but I feel like Twenty-Two Liberty has by far the darkest glass in the neighborhood when it's render has the lightest. I wish it could switch glass with PWC or Goodwin Proctor.

I think the glass looks badass. The glass on PWC and Goodwin Procter is glass I have seen on 100 other buildings in any city anywhere. This real dark blue glass is something you dont really see that much.

If you really look at the rendering. more than 50% of the glass is actually spandrel glass. (Back painted glass that is not transparent). This is absolutely necessary to hide the structure and to make areas of the facade perform energy -wise. Again ... the rendering is marketing. In the end it will likely have enough of the qualities of the rendering for the AB acceptance curve to come back up to "nice project" by the end.

cca

"Ps cca, if this is a story of energy codes, how is it that PWC (101 Seaport Boulevard) and Goodwin Proctor (100 Northern Ave) both appear to have much lighter, more transparent glass and they're all going up concurrently within a radius of just a couple of blocks? Is it office vs. residential?"

There are many ways of getting to the same point. Some more expensive than others. It could be that the glass types that are being used are different. Without knowing anything specific I would say that PWC is using a much more high quality glass. Likely that glass deals with energy better. There are many different factors to that. (glass type, tint, reflectivity, low-e coating type, gas filled air space, and even number of glass panes within the unit). I am guessing that the Commercial buildings spend a bit more on the materials than the residential so I am guessing that the residential building had to make cheaper choices than the others. The cheaper strategies are more spandrel glass, and more tint. ... and yes, building type absolutely matters because the type of building determines what the mechanical systems you use are and the exterior skin must make up the difference when you are using a less efficient exterior.

Back