Twenty Two Liberty @ Fan Pier | 22 Liberty Drive - Parcel C | Seaport

Re: Twenty Two Liberty @ Fan Pier | 22 Liberty Drive | Seaport

Are those piles being driven for the next building or the new park?

For the park/Harbor Walk. The pillings are at the landward end of the water feature.

From what we're seeing getting built -- I think that Fan Pier has the potential to be in the same league with Rowes Wharf and Long Wharf and a very few other spots along the Harbor Walk with respect to a pedestrian actually connecting with the harbor

Not just on the edge of the harbor -- but virtually embedded in the harbor

Last edited:

You mean Fan Pier right? Pier 4 harborwalk is still few years off.

You mean Fan Pier right? Pier 4 harborwalk is still few years off.

Smart --- you are Correct and I fixed the error in my post -- although I hope that soon Pier 4 will be another iconic salient into the harbor where you can spent the better part of an afternoon for strolling about -- and a well earned addition to the above Harbor Walk Laureate list

as an aside -- on the smaller scale the wharfs to the North of Long Wharf [e.g. Battery, Burroughs, Lewis] are pleasant places to stroll most of the year and they let you connect with the harbor as well -- they're just not as dramatic

Regarding current status of Fan Pier, is this an accurate map? There are just two parcels left (plus parks & landscaping)?

new-ffp-master-site-plan-e1422650299596.png

Regarding current status of Fan Pier, is this an accurate map? There are just two parcels left (plus parks & landscaping)?
Actually 3 parcels are still open for construction.
1 Harbor Sq. Drive (Hotel/residential ??) Parcel H
Fifty Liberty Dr (Residential ??) Parcel D
10 Fan Pier Blvd (Residential or 1st class office ??) Parcel E
Plus parks and landscaping.

Why do they need those pilings for a park?

This project is coming along nicely! And so far it looks just as handsome as the renders suggested. The view in this building is going to be mighty and everlasting. At times like these I wish I had a lot more money/was further in my career so I would hope to afford something like this (well, maybe not quite like this).

Why do they need those pilings for a park?

I assume it's for the wall around the pool (or a short canal, whatever it is).

^ I think the issue is that you need to link directly to the image file (.png, .jpg, etc.).

Flickr doesn't allow hosting. You will need to upload the photo to a different site like imgur

It's a PITA but that's Yahoo. :/

Wow, you guys been getting some snow up there or something? :)

Flickr doesn't allow hosting. You will need to upload the photo to a different site like imgur

It's a PITA but that's Yahoo. :/

It does, you just have to click download>view all sizes>*right click*>copy image location/url

16310633739_7076a3d9a5_b.jpg

I prefer flickr because it lets you upload really large images.

^
Related only because of SNOW and the picture - but I wonder if, with all these piers being put in, will they consider dredging up the huge shipwreck alongside Pier 4 that sunk in the blizzard of '78?
peter+stuy.jpg

^
Wow. Never knew about this. Did some searches - apparently it was permanently docked there and used as a waiting bar/lounge for Anthony's Pier 4.

^
Related only because of SNOW and the picture - but I wonder if, with all these piers being put in, will they consider dredging up the huge shipwreck alongside Pier 4 that sunk in the blizzard of '78?
peter+stuy.jpg

I'd be shocked if that wasn't raised at the time. Leaving a wreck like that in the middle of Boston Harbor, even in '78, seems like something that wouldn't have been tolerated.

^
Yeah, it's pretty surprising but speaks to the condition of the rest of Fan Pier in the late seventies. The deck pieces were removed, but the hull remains on the bottom and if you go to (former) Anthony's you can see the buoys that mark the wreck as a warning (you can see them on Google and Bing maps as well).

After the S.S. Peter Stuyvesant sank on February 6th & 7th, 1978, Anthony's sued the company that had installed the mooring system. That company had installed the system in 1968, a decade before the Blizzard hit.

The company's defense was that more than 6 years had passed between their installation of the mooring and the storm, so was beyond the statute of limitations.

Anthony's argued that the six years couldn't have started from the date the ship was first moored, the six years started from the day the mooring failed, since that's the first day Anthony's could have known the mooring was defective.

The court agreed.

I couldn't find out what happened next, if Anthony's got any money back.

http://masscases.com/cases/sjc/396/396mass818.html

Back