Twenty Two Liberty @ Fan Pier | 22 Liberty Drive - Parcel C | Seaport

Re: Twenty Two Liberty @ Fan Pier | 22 Liberty Drive | Seaport

FK4 - just wanted to mention that we've discussed the issue of the Fan Pier dock vs ICA Mediatheque on here before and I voiced the same concern that you have (ruining the core of DS+R's architectural concept for the Mediatheque). If you decide to pursue activism, please let me know and I'd be happy to join you.

Throw Joe Fallon $350k a year and I'm sure he'd consider pulling the docks.

Throw Joe Fallon $350k a year and I'm sure he'd consider pulling the docks.

I unfortunately agree with your sentiment. Money always wins. It's a pretty useless fight.

FanPierProject888x10241.jpg

This is the 1986 plan, before Mr Athanas got greedy. The hotel is the tallest building.
From the design, there was even less public access to the water than present.

I unfortunately agree with your sentiment. Money always wins. It's a pretty useless fight.

Reality bites. I agree on the view but that's what those slips are worth, if not more.

FanPierProject888x10241.jpg

This is the 1986 plan, before Mr Athanas got greedy. The hotel is the tallest building.

So the ridiculously low height limits weren't in place until later? Looks like Atlanta on the water.

So the ridiculously low height limits weren't in place until later?
That was 30 years ago, before there was much concern about one engine out takeoffs.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB921735188918701336

Aviation has changed a lot in 30 years too. Nobody flew from Boston to the West Coast non-stop in a relatively small two engine plane as they do now. An A320 at max takeoff weight needs nearly 7,000 feet of runway to take off.

Last edited:

FK4 - just wanted to mention that we've discussed the issue of the Fan Pier dock vs ICA Mediatheque on here before and I voiced the same concern that you have (ruining the core of DS+R's architectural concept for the Mediatheque). If you decide to pursue activism, please let me know and I'd be happy to join you.

Some of the docks are already built, but the worst ones are not. For a while, I thought that maybe the plans I am concerned about had been preliminary - and I still dont yet know what the deal is in terms of how many more docks are planned... Nor whether or not they have been approved, or what govt agency gives the approval. I am interested in finding out, though, does anyone know the answer?

But there was more water. This plan involved creating a canal that would have made Fan Pier into an island linked by several bridges to the surrounding area.

But there was more water. This plan involved creating a canal that would have made Fan Pier into an island linked by several bridges to the surrounding area.

This is the shadow analysis for the site plan for both Fan Pier and Pier Four, circa 1986. The 'canal' ran one row of (five) buildings in from Northern Ave between the marina to a point where the north side of the courthouse is now. The canal was crossed by two vehicle bridges and two pedestrian bridges. There were four buildings on the 'island' including the hotel.

Pritzker/Carpenter's portion of the development ran from the east tip of the west (shorter) segment of the jetty, southward down to Northern Ave. Most of the marina slips were on Athanas' Pier Four portion, as was the extensive dock running along the east side of Pier Four. So there was, from the beginning, a great amount of space dedicated to yachts, large and small.

Last edited:

For good measure,

Athanas' hotel (?), north elevation

Athanas' residential row, west elevation.

Woo baby, that PoMo is off the charts. Where did you find these? Thanks for sharing them.

Let's not forget that Athanas had the Mass legislature pass a law that no hotel could be built on Commonwealth pier because he was secretly planning on building one on his own property.

Anthony Anastas was the perfect example of "pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered."

I love seeing these old "Never got built" designs from the last time Boston was booming. This should probably be in the general Seaport thread but I don't have time to sift through the last couple pages to weed it all out. At least it's relevant.

That was 30 years ago, before there was much concern about one engine out takeoffs.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB921735188918701336

Aviation has changed a lot in 30 years too. Nobody flew from Boston to the West Coast non-stop in a relatively small two engine plane as they do now. An A320 at max takeoff weight needs nearly 7,000 feet of runway to take off.

Stel -- you nailed it == in the 1960 - 1990 or so the long distance flights were via 4 smallish engines -- lose one and you've got 3 left -- even a 747

The advent of the 2 engine widebody with those really big very high bypass ratio turbo fans such as the GE-90 and GEnx has made the 1 engine out on Takeoff -- you go around immediately and land a reality

from the Wikipedia on GE90
In October 2003, a Boeing 777-300ER broke the ETOPS [Extended range Twin Operations] record by being able to fly five and a half hours (330 minutes) with one engine shut down.[9] The aircraft, with GE90-115B engines, flew from Seattle to Taiwan as part of the ETOPS certification programme.

Thereby -- Knocking the tops off so many of the conceptual buildings near Logan's runways

Anthony Anastas was the perfect example of "pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered."

Interesting that he died only 9 years later of Alzheimer's at 93. Maybe it was starting to creep in by 1986 as I think he would have maxed out with that plan. Too bad, the cat would have been out of the bag as far as height goes.

Back