Two Financial Center

img0476su6.jpg

vanshnookenraggen said:
Notice the windows on the new construction and then look at the ones on all the others. The windows on the new construction are wider and are placed side by side in the bay. All the others have tinner windows and they are placed individually. This is a visual trick that most people don't realize but is something that always rubs me the wrong way.
{...}A tall, thin window tells you, subconsciously, that there are living, active people inside the dwelling. A wide, horizontal window makes one think of a person lying down, asleep, inactive, even dead. Thus a tall, thin window is more harmonious to the person walking down the street, and a wide, horizontal window makes someone uneasy.

You can debate whether or not that is the image going though someone's mind when they see wide windows but the feelings the different window types convey are real. Wide, horizontal windows always make me uneasy unless they are designed a certain way that works with the overall building concept.

I would argue that the windows work with the over all concept.

Yeah, they're similar in proportions to any of the office or wharehouse structures built in the teens and 20s, like the 300 block of Summer Street (the Boston Wharf Co's old wharehouse buildings). The windows are fine.

What we should be worried about is what materials will be used. The design is nothing noteworthy in and of itself, so it'll be up to the materials and execution to determine whether it's merely pleasant or a complete embarrassment.

I quite like this as well. This isn't the place to be revolutionary, it's a place to put a current style of adjacent buildings, and that's exactly what it does. So many architects are screaming "look at me" these days, it's nice to see someone being more modest and both not pretending to be a past style, but not sneering at its neighbors as well. I'm curious about what the materials will be, of course if it's all precast it will be a disaster.

if its in the heart of the financial district, why is it only 15 stories? I'm impressed with the number of buildings going up in the city right now. And alot seem to have some quality, but there's no HEIGHT. None. zip. zero. If your not going to give me height, give be some radically different, innovative and visually very appealing building...and I don't really see anything that radical, not even one.

^^

It isn't in the heart of the financial district..., it's across the street though, but in an area of mostly lowrises and this will fit in nicely

^^

It isn't in the heart of the financial district..., it's across the street though, but in an area of mostly lowrises and this will fit in nicely

Exactly, this building is designed to be a transition from the high(ish)-rise of the Financial District and the mid-rise of the Leather District. I think it works very well in that role (and the apparent finishes -- if of quality -- also serve that function).

Sometime buildings should simply blend rather than shout.

^^^
True. It is a plus that the building is reminiscent of old Essex St.
One Financial Center is Exhibit A for the proposition that Mayoral messing up of aesthetics isn't new. It was widely reported at the time that Kevin White picked out the prison stripe facade. That building shouts "parole me with a re-skin, please!"

does anyone know if this project is still slated to include a whole foods? i remember it first being proposed with one...

The Whole Foods was proposed as part of a residential project. Now that it is commercial it is unlikely to include one.

Moderators note: Don't post in all caps. Next time I see a post in all caps I'm just gonna delete it.

Last edited by a moderator:
new crane by South Station

I was at an architect firm today that overlooks Fort Point Channel towards 'Russia Wharf'. There was a large yellow crane up near South Station? Does anyone know what it's for? To early for SS right?? It is just beyond SS from my vantage point.

I was looking out a window at work today and saw some serious steel going up. Sadly, I don't have my camera with me. If no one else is in the area, I'll look to stop back some time this weekend.

Back