Ugly Boston

I heard Tiger took his friends there while he was playing at the tpc boston

^ Another modernist complex (the other being the Pru) ruined by clutter in the name of re-urbanization.

No one likes what happened to the West End, but the solution doesn't look much better than the problem.

New building on the left is apartments. Have no idea what that is on the right ... is this the back of Charles River Square? I'm stumped.

Here's ugly for you:

This:
GovtCenterGarage.jpg

This:
285.preview.jpg

And this:
KF004754.jpg

The above 3 need this:

istockphoto_5685471-wrecking-ball.jpg

I'd save the second one, it could be worked around, but the others need to go.

That angle on State Services really does illustrate what a waste of space it is, though. Is there a way to save / properly preserve it without the vast, empty courtyard?

Charles River Square is a street that goes directly off of Storrow Drive; it's right before the exit to Cambridge Street.

It's an exclusive little cul de sac. The Ned Johnsons live there.

Those photos above are mostly from in and around Dudley Square. I always loved that little red brick building.

The city had plans to restore Dudley to its glory but suddenly found itself with a $16-million hole in its pocket.

The best thing for Dudley Sq would be a true subway and the bus station put underground with a park on top. Oh, that and some reason to ever go to Dudley Sq.

There's so much raw vacant space that ur right a new transist oriented dense city center should be built,let Northeaston expand right into Dudley Sq and restore the old buildings into it own Havard Sq.like campus

The best thing for Dudley Sq would be a true subway ...
Used to have that, as I'm certain you know. Then they moved the subway out of town where you need a car to get to it...

...a new transist oriented dense city center should be built ...
They had that too, but when they moved the transit, there was no further point to it.

Ah ... the fruits of citizen-planning ...

let Northeaston expand right into Dudley Sq and restore the old buildings into it own Havard Sq.like campus

How to piss off a population 101. Roxbury residents already hate on Northeastern for coming into their territory, this would make them explode; Even though it is a practical idea.

Make it RCC instead?

Too many institutions in Roxbury built with a general disregard for creating vibrant urban space. The BPD HQ, new mosque, etc. should have been situated closer to the Square. Everything new seems like an isolated fortress.

I blame that more on the BRA and the mayor for not caring. If 111 Huntington gets a hat then Roxbury can get some nice urbanism.

Used to have that, as I'm certain you know. Then they moved the subway out of town where you need a car to get to it...

Not entirely true. I walk to and from Oak Grove every day, but I'll admit I'm in a very small minority of riders who do the same on that end of the line. :(

Oh, and it's not an overly pleasant walk.

Back