Ugly Boston

The best thing for Dudley Sq would be a true subway and the bus station put underground with a park on top. Oh, that and some reason to ever go to Dudley Sq.

If there is a subway there people will find a reason.... and it probably will be cheap[er] housing in a very cool urban environment

4378225853_5ec0f069c0_o.jpg

^^ A stunning act of vandalism. We've kicked that building around before.

It's not just the trailer park on the roof, or the fact that they painted the red brick a blue/gray... you have to see this building's ground floor... they have corrugated concrete and over-polished concrete finishes.

Thanks. Is this atrocity BU's fault, or did the previous owner do it before selling to BU?

^^ A stunning act of vandalism. We've kicked that building around before.

The paint job on the brownstone, maybe, but I don't think the structure itself is vandalism. It's creative, it's interesting, and it screams "density." I smile whenever I see it. When people want to live in a neighborhood so badly that they're willing to throw shipping containers on top of a brownstone - that's energy, that's urban.

Charles River Park is vandalism. City Hall Plaza is vandalism.

Thanks. Is this atrocity BU's fault, or did the previous owner do it before selling to BU?

The building is not owned by BU, there is no BU red sign at any of the entrances.

Pay no attention to the google map shading, it also includes a public middle school, which is also not owned by BU.

I walked past that building every day, and I always enjoyed it. I wonder how the permit process went.

In the thread BB linked to, you can see all the documents

The building is not owned by BU, there is no BU red sign at any of the entrances.

Pay no attention to the google map shading, it also includes a public middle school, which is also not owned by BU.

The building's addresses (856-862 Beacon St.) are listed as "apartment-style residences" on BU's website and the owner is listed as "BOSTON UNIVERSITY TRSTS OF" here.

The building's addresses (856-862 Beacon St.) are listed as "apartment-style residences" on BU's website and the owner is listed as "BOSTON UNIVERSITY TRSTS OF" here.

And you're sure that's 856-862? I can't make it out with the streetview image, and google maps is frequently wrong at pointing out building numbers.

It's just that EVERY occupied BU building (around the world) has the red sign with the number.

I say occupied because the abandoned Kenmore building does not.

Also, the newer addition appears to have open balconies. BU doesn't allow their students to use balconies. The ones at the Hojo are all locked.

If you use Google Streetview at the exact point where Aberdeen and Beacon intersect, you can zoom in and clearly see "860" and "856" on two of the doorways leading into the building. The door with "862" is obscured by a tree branch, although if you move once east on Beacon, you can see that it says at least "8?2". The photo at the intersection with Aberdeen is much sharper than the adjacent photographs along Beacon St.

Re: the public record, Boston University is listed as owner of 852-862 Beacon Street, inclusive, except for 854-854A Beacon Street. The owner of this "rooming/boarding house" is listed as:

854 Beacon Street Llc

^ There's about 4 assc. includeing The Codman Sq assc. but bussinesses won't take them down(I don't blame them!) Here's some ugly( I believe the city owns them?) Highland Pk buildings that need attention,like 10 years ago!
100_2441.jpg

Finally this building may be saved:

Kittredge Square

10. Request authorization to adopt an Order of Taking of 10
Linwood Street by eminent domain pursuant to Massachusetts
General Laws Chapter 79 and to convey the property to
Historic Boston, Inc., or related entity.

Dec 14th BRA meeting: http://www.bostonredevelopmentautho...Board Meeting Agenda for 12-14-10 (draft).pdf

Some History:
Roxbury Action Program, the long-time owner of the property, has shown no ability to rehabilitate this extremely significant historic residence
http://www.historicboston.org/casebook/99cb/akhouse.htm

Why has this non-profit been allowed to let the building reach this point?

Don't get me started on the Women's League building on Chester Square - Mass Ave. Another selfish disgrace.

Back