UMass Boston Developments | Columbia Point | Dorchester

I'm not sure if this master plan is even relavent considering that Umass purchased Bayside Expo center land. But this article was from today.

My town section Dorchester,

http://www.boston.com/yourtown/news/dorchester/2010/09/umass_outlines_environmental_i.html

and here is a link to the 25 year master plan: http://www.umb.edu/uploads/masterplan/UMB_MPR_FULL_FINAL.pdf

UMass Boston outlined last night the environmental impact of its 25-year master plan, an ambitious vision for the university's layout that includes new academic buildings, 2,000 dormitory beds, shoreline improvements, a new roadway circling the campus, and a central quad to rival Harvard Yard.

UMass hopes to break ground on a new science center next spring as part of a 10-year, $500 million first phase of the plan, which also includes a new general academic building and the new roads on the Columbia Point campus.

"This is an institution of higher education. Our top priority is to our students," Susan Wolfson, director of campus master planning at UMass, said during her presentation at one of two public meetings yesterday.

Vivien Li, executive director of the Boston Harbor Association, voiced a litany of concerns. She wanted to know how many trees would be removed and whether they'd be replaced with trees of the same caliber. She wondered whether the 800 feet of Harborwalk that the university would revamp would be fitted with "21st century amenities" to match the rest of the waterfront.

Li also said she would like to see additional information on whether existing parking lots would be returned to their original state as green spaces. But she praised the school for adding 2,000 new dorm beds, but asked that the impact of that be discussed more in the master planning process.

"It is not clear from this plan how much you are going to move away from being a totally commuter school to having some mix of residential," she said. "If you are moving in that direction, away from strictly a commuter school, then you may need less parking.''

The university had not yet done a traffic-impact study, but has commissioned one, to be completed in the next year.

UMass Boston filed its environmental plan with the state's Office of Energy and Environmental Affairs last month and now must collect public comment from the public until Sept. 24. They expect a certificate from the office of state Environmental Secretary Ian Bowles on Oct. 1.

Because the entire project will take 25 years to build, the master plan is mostly a conceptual framework. That makes for a tricky environmental review process.

"This master plan is showing blobs. And you can comment on the blobs and the general concept of it," Holly Johnson, an environmental analyst for the Massachusetts Environmental Policy Act Office, said at the meeting. "The reason we need to do a special review procedure is, it's 25 years out. It doesn't fit into the typical review process as set up by the MEPA regulations."

While this public comment period (which ends September 24th) concerns both the master plan and Phase I, a June 30th letter from Bowles states that the enviromental plan basically allows UMass to move forward with more detailed plans that will also be subject to state review.

Also yesterday, UMass officials said they hope the next president of the five-campus system will expedite the commuter college?s dream of building dormitories.

Vivien Li, executive director of the Boston Harbor Association, voiced a litany of concerns

You figure most Boston journalists have this line saved in their clipboards?

She makes reporting easy, you know who to talk to and you know you will get, what?, a good 1/3 of your article from her?

You can pretty much have the next few paragraphs ready to go as well.

In fact, it seems like EVERY Boston article about development is the same.

Just replace a few key words, hit submit, and you're done for the day.

funny I drove thru here this morning
369.jpg
370.jpg
there was also a large construction site when u 1st entered the campus but nothing to really photograph yet? also took a pix of this>
371.jpg
373.jpg

there was also a large construction site when u 1st entered the campus but nothing to really photograph yet?
They are redoing the plaza below the Library. I don't think they are really building anything, just repairing.

Columbia Point Master Pla

The Board adopted the Columbia Point Master Plan, which sets forth a comprehensive vision for 412-acres between Dorchester Bay and Interstate 93. The Master Plan is the result of a three and a half year community planning process, and reflects the neighborhood’s desire to encourage urban vitality, improve pedestrian and vehicular connections, and foster plans for potential new development. At full build out, the Master Plan would allow for up to 5.67 million square feet of new development, and with this could provide approximately 1,560 new permanent jobs, $17.2 million in new City property taxes, and $4.3 million in State income tax revenue.

The Master Plan envisions a neighborhood with more residential uses than the currently predominate educational uses, which would improve the jobs-housing balance while creating an 18-hour-a-day neighborhood. A new system of streets would break down the superblock structure, establishing a pedestrian scale for Columbia Point, while significantly increasing transportation options. Almost 17 new acres of park space and multi-modal paths could be created to increase connectivity in the area.

This is the BRA’s first Master Plan to include an entire chapter on sustainability. The basic armature of the Master Plan, with its compact mix of uses and walk-able streets situated close to transit, is the definition of sustainable land use. All new development would be required to achieve a LEED Silver rating. Both in terms of individual buildings and the larger planning framework, the Columbia Point Master Plan will be a leader in sustainability for Boston.
http://www.bostonredevelopmentautho.../bra-board-adopts-columbia-point-master-plan/

Master Plan:
http://www.bostonredevelopmentautho...olumbia Point Master Plan Final June 2011.pdf

See the diagram on page 25 of the master plan for a good laugh - a "redesigned" Morrissey Blvd anchoring the two sides of the new planned neighborhood (proposed residential developments on each side of Morrissey). Of course, the so-called boulevard (with a parallel interstate!) has EIGHT LANES of traffic PLUS turning lanes in the proposed redesign -I guess the new landscaped medians and bike lane make this alright somehow?

See also the massing diagram for the whole proposed area on page 32. After going through pages of saying the right things: varied and consistent streetwalls with mutliple entrances, minimal setbacks, mixed uses, and so forth, it becomes clear that the BRA - even with these correct intentions! - cannot fathom anything better than a Framingham office park! Again, see the massing diagram on page 32 to see what I mean

See also the massing diagram for the whole proposed area on page 32. After going through pages of saying the right things: varied and consistent streetwalls with mutliple entrances, minimal setbacks, mixed uses, and so forth, it becomes clear that the BRA - even with these correct intentions! - cannot fathom anything better than a Framingham office park! Again, see the massing diagram on page 32 to see what I mean

I'm curious what makes this look like a "Framingham office park" to you? Is it the wide transportation corridor lined with trees (with much narrower, more pedestrian-oriented streets spinning off to the sides, as you can see on page 37)? Is it the 150' height of some of the buildings? The increased density close to mass transit?

"Office park" to me means pointlessly meandering overly-wide roads (I don't know whether Morrissey requires 6 lanes of traffic there), separated from boring value-designed low-rise buildings by huge parking lots with no retail or residential in sight. This project meets very few of those criteria.

Morrissey Blvd. is a major component of the I-93 corridor -- it provides major traffic relief and also a better local connectivity.

The only way that one can realistically reduce the width of Morrissey is to provide connectivity through the Columbia Pt. including the Drive used to approach UMass and Mt. Vernon St.

The new master plan seems to address this issue in part -- but one of its key elements is the assumption that the Globe's site will be redeveloped soon -- this is not clear

Re: UMass Boston science building

Latest renders of new UMass Boston science building, now under construction:

http://www.goodyclancy.com/arch?categoryId=8&view=project&layout=image&projectid=176&image=1

Typical of a:

a) Modern incarnation / redo of a suburban office park (e.g. Northwest Park in Burlington)
b) Modern University r&d complex (e.g. The David H. Koch Institute for Integrative Cancer Research )
c) something you will find in the vicinity of Kendall Sq., but not on a university campus
d) all of the above

The answer is d) all the above

HEY MAN IT'S CONTEXTUAL WTF!

Seriously tho, Goody Clancy can do SOOOOO much better than this.

HEY MAN IT'S CONTEXTUAL WTF!

Seriously tho, Goody Clancy can do SOOOOO much better than this.

Agreed that Goody Clancy can do better, but what context should they be responding to: the lost cause that is Morrissey Blvd, or the bunker-like brick buildings of the existing campus?

Hard to tell from the one rendering if this one will turn out well, but at least its a departure from the rest of the 1970s buildings at UMass.

It is the new Intergrated Science Complex

yes^ some from yesterday from Port Norflok Dorchester
005-41.jpg
<not this one it's from Park st these>
057-18.jpg
045-24.jpg
048-24.jpg
In the big pix u can see the Fan Pier cranes

Back