Underground station layouts

Searching WardMaps, I found a few things. Its not in full res, and I don't know if they're kosher to post here, so I'll limit myself to the most relevant two:

plate07_1400x.jpg

wmark-plate-1450pct-80jpg_bff2f70f-8458-488c-93a6-0cfc1f382446_1400x.jpg

It looks like the very beginning of that curve is unhelpfully centered immediately below the old state house, although then I presume there's actually likely much less unexpected utilities hiding under the SW corner of it. (Different views showing ~1901 known utilities and the relocation of such from 1902-3 all solidly avoid the statehouse footprint and grounds.)

Last edited:
Beachmont may be the most symmetrical MBTA station:
1641770429605.png

I didn't know until making this layout that there's an entrance to Revere Beach station from the MGH building. The easement was preserved during the 1984-86 construction of the building, but I'm not sure whether it was actually open until the station was rebuilt in 1994-95.
1641770486656.png

Google finally updated imagery, but it's not recent enough for the Medford Branch and the Vehicle Maintenance Facility. I may be able to do Lechmere and Union Square with what's available. In the meantime, here's Red Bridge (minus the carhouse leads):
1642027859621.png

Thanks to both of you - that's very good reference, especially since Nearmap is not cheap otherwise. Unfortunately, I probably won't be able to use it to update my map any quicker, because I draw mine directly on Google Map Maker. For underground stations, it's a painstaking process of overlaying my references and screenshots of my map in Inkscape, updating my map based on that, screenshotting again, repeat. That takes 1-10 hours depending on the complexity of the station. It's worthwhile for underground stations where there's no alternative, but I'm willing to wait a few months to avoid it for GLX.

somebody else on here shared the tip, dont remember where/who but they deserve the credit.

Any requests for what's next? As far as underground stations, options are:
  • Alewife
  • Porter
  • South Station
  • Broadway
  • Andrew
  • Shawmut
  • North Station
  • Government Center
  • Just do State already, you damn coward
  • Chinatown
  • Tufts Medical Center
  • Back Bay
  • Ruggles through Forest Hills
I am planning to do the non-underground heavy rail stations (and GLX) as well.
Any chance you could do Andrew? I've been pondering that station a bit lately and am not super familiar with its layout. Thanks!!

From my shelter-in-place for your Sunday morning viewing pleasure: Harvard.

Thanks here to an AB member (feel free to identify yourself) for some drawings of the layout, because Harvard is quite wacky. No straight lines, and lots of ramps. What really amazed me here is the amount of non-public space in the station complex. In addition to the well-known Eliot Shops lead tunnel (the light pink box at bottom left), there are two levels of rooms at the north end of the Red Line platforms, and east of the lobby. I'm quite curious if these are offices, or storage areas, or largely unused.

Yellow and red are the upper (NB) platforms; orange and magenta are lower. At bottom right, three former platforms are visible. These are (N to S) part of the original upper (outbound), part of the original lower (inbound) and 1981-83 Harvard-Holyoke platform.

View attachment 4357
I am working with a group of students on a West Station to Harvard Station. Photography and other maps seem to differ on how far the Eliot Yard leads still exist. We are trying to find out how far past the cinder block walls just east of where the upper and lower tracks separate. Where exactly do the western edges of the upper and lower revenue tracks leave the profile of the old tracks? Do the corridors connecting the old RL platforms to the busway still exist?

Unfortunately, I don't know too much beyond what I show in my diagram. I believe the tunnel still exists as far northeast as Palmer Street, and perhaps almost to JFK. However, the stairs between the busways intrudes into the former tunnel box, and I believe some many have been reused for other purposes. The ramp to the upper busway occupies the former alignment of the tunnel. I assume that the old tunnel continues all the way to the foundation of the JFK School at Bennett Street, but cannot confirm that beyond the existence of this hatch.

I believe that the current and former alignments meet slightly east of Dunster Street. The Harvard/Holyoke station platforms ran from midblock between Dunster and Holyoke east to Linden; since service was maintained to Harvard/Holyoke except for weekend closures, there can't have been any major realignment more than about 100 feet east of Dunster.

A fair portion of both 1912 station platforms still exist. The upper (NB) platform is unlit and requires you to press you face all the way up against the window. The lower platform is sometimes lit, and easily visible from the left side of inbound trains. The lower temporary Harvard/Holyoke platform still exists and can be seen opposite the 1912 lower platform. The upper Harvard/Holyoke platform was converted to storage etc space and cannot be seen from trains. I don't believe any of the original transfer passages still exist, as the lobby occupies the full width of the Square.

Unfortunately, I don't know too much beyond what I show in my diagram. I believe the tunnel still exists as far northeast as Palmer Street, and perhaps almost to JFK. However, the stairs between the busways intrudes into the former tunnel box, and I believe some many have been reused for other purposes. The ramp to the upper busway occupies the former alignment of the tunnel. I assume that the old tunnel continues all the way to the foundation of the JFK School at Bennett Street, but cannot confirm that beyond the existence of this hatch.

I believe that the current and former alignments meet slightly east of Dunster Street. The Harvard/Holyoke station platforms ran from midblock between Dunster and Holyoke east to Linden; since service was maintained to Harvard/Holyoke except for weekend closures, there can't have been any major realignment more than about 100 feet east of Dunster.

A fair portion of both 1912 station platforms still exist. The upper (NB) platform is unlit and requires you to press you face all the way up against the window. The lower platform is sometimes lit, and easily visible from the left side of inbound trains. The lower temporary Harvard/Holyoke platform still exists and can be seen opposite the 1912 lower platform. The upper Harvard/Holyoke platform was converted to storage etc space and cannot be seen from trains. I don't believe any of the original transfer passages still exist, as the lobby occupies the full width of the Square.
Excellent info. Thank you! So it might be possible to cut a doorway between the end of the lower tunnel and the upper? Busway ramp. And from the pic of the stairs, you can still fit 2 tracks out towards JFK. Does anyone know if the present busway ramp meets ADA?

Back