Union Square D2.1 | 10 Prospect Street | Somerville

This is tangential - as this corner is forever changed: does anyone foresee the Dunkin Donuts selling its property here and maybe moving into the ground floor of a new development? It would probably be smart of them if offered. A Dunkins with a parking lot almost doesn't fit in in this area anymore - it definitely won't once D2.1 is done.

I've believed this whole time that Dunkin will be the first thing to open on this site.

This is tangential - as this corner is forever changed: does anyone foresee the Dunkin Donuts selling its property here and maybe moving into the ground floor of a new development? It would probably be smart of them if offered. A Dunkins with a parking lot almost doesn't fit in in this area anymore - it definitely won't once D2.1 is done.

I haven’t heard anything about the DD property. But US2 and Somerville by Design have identified it (as 6.1) developable.

9838D844-BBD1-4B64-AAA1-F5DD190E8FE2.jpeg
3A6919D7-E1F7-4386-9425-3D7F424413E3.jpeg

Wow this is spot-on! Thanks for sharing this document. I assume we shouldn't have more than a couple of years until proposals for this and adjacent sites start forming

There’s pretty much 4 construction sites going on here (from farthest to nearest away): the 9 story lab building, the 7(?) story office building(?), the tower, and GLX.

Regarding the tower, the wrap is coming off and the steel is fireproofed. But one observation now is the rather low ceiling heights. It almost seems like that construction worker in green could jump up and touch the ceiling, no? I suppose this is the difference between what apartment rentals look like instead of condos. But it’s for the better, so more power to them for getting more density.

84456C1F-BF9C-48B0-85B2-5748AC2C0AC5.jpeg
3DCBCBB4-D37C-49CC-B694-5FB73D5BF33E.jpeg

But one observation now is the rather low ceiling heights. It almost seems like that construction worker in green could jump up and touch the ceiling, no? I suppose this is the difference between what apartment rentals look like instead of condos. But it’s for the better, so more power to them for getting more density.

According to the 2018 plans, the floor-to-floor height is exactly 10 feet:

Screen Shot 2022-03-03 at 08.50.27.png

This would suggest a floor-to-ceiling height of around 8 feet, which is considerably lower than the 9-9.5 foot standard ceiling height for new SFHs and condos. 8' used to be the US standard but feels claustrophobic by modern standards IMO.

The precast slab construction method takes up less vertical space than the cast in place slab on pan method. I wouldn’t be surprised if they get 9 foot ceilings.

I hope you're right! My 8 foot floor-to-ceiling height assumption comes from a slab height of 1 foot and a drop ceiling of 1 foot to accommodate HVAC, sprinklers, etc. But if both of those are considerably thinner, then 9 foot ceilings are definitely a possibility.

IMG_3390 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_3391 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_3415 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_3416 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_3424 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_3423 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_3425 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_3428 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_3431 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_3440 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_3466 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_3470 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_3468 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_3479 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_3471 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_3476 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_3504 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

With certain light conditions you can see the slightly inward tapered facades of the tower. Notice how the left half is still in the shadow while the right half is exposed to sun.
This amusingly reminds me of the 8-sided Giza Pyramid speculation, where each side is said to be tapered in slightly towards the center.

6AA715E2-2B87-438C-8EF9-166C530B8068.jpeg
521C57EB-EB94-4A4A-9FFA-BE7F3DFB446E.jpeg

This really is perfect timing, it should be wrapping up a little after glx opens, gets the kinks worked out, and ridership picks up.

Looking at the 9 story building, from Somerville Ave - Impressive floor span, no? Is this the norm for lab buildings now?

View attachment 22100
Was looking at this this morning, they are already on the third floor and the floor heights are substantial. If they continue like this, it might be 2/3rds the size of the tower next door. It's looking like it's going to be very big!

Back