Union Square D2.1 | 10 Prospect Street | Somerville

Just realized this: where’s the elevator core? In place of the crane?

D9C07F2D-9E15-472A-821E-033AE9D0EFC8.jpeg

838D4344-62EA-44D0-BAC1-20A1DFD7BA46.jpeg

Last edited:
Are those panels intentionally misaligned or have they been placed with shockingly poor dimensional tolerance?

They typically tighten them up after they've been installed roughly. See the Echelon Seaport thread for the extreme case of this
I know they get tightened up, but even this seems extreme!

Oh good, we've moved on to the "this might be the end of the world" part of the project, where every panel placement or window installation will be dissected and deemed to potentially lead us all to Judgement Day. Can't wait to get to the "came out better than I thought it would" or "better than a parking lot" phase. :p

Definitely stripey. Jury still out if this achieves the ‘Somerville look’ as the architect intended…

Also - is the finish/color painted? The bottom pic shows the backside of the precast panels, which are the typical concrete grey color.

143B64B6-8F99-4D77-8E0E-C7D398BDBDFD.jpeg
0F4958C7-AF16-47A3-AAC0-286FC1B5A6AF.jpeg
11F6C74A-34FF-42D5-BABB-EA6F36B20F28.jpeg

Definitely stripey. Jury still out if this achieves the ‘Somerville look’ as the architect intended…

Also - is the finish/color painted? The bottom pic shows the backside of the precast panels, which are the typical concrete grey color.

What's the Somerville look?? Most of the city is small detached wood frame multifamily/tripledeckers?

What's the Somerville look?? Most of the city is small detached wood frame multifamily/tripledeckers?

Too true.

Here’s a concept drawing pulling colors from all the triple deckers. Seems like they ultimately toned it down and went more for the historical reference. From the architect’s website and Instagram:

642448CE-39D6-409A-8C7C-252A2A27A8E3.png

936D7644-45BD-4772-9A5D-535C953F4063.jpeg

Last edited:
RIcky's just staring at that tri-monolith of steel. It's all very Long Island City. They're thinking "Eminent domain can take more than a decade... and in the meantime there's a lot of new people who will need Christmas trees."

Last edited:
RIcky's just staring at that tri-monolith of steel. It's all very Long Island City. They're thinking "Eminent domain can take more than a decade... and in the meantime there's a lot of new people who will need Christmas trees."

I‘ll keep getting my Christmas tree there till the very end of Rickys. After that maybe I’ll finally go fake tree from then on.

Back