W Hotel | 100 Stuart St | Theater District

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mike said:
Sawyer received local permits to build the 309-feet project in 2001, but the construction was held up because of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks...
? ? ?

Please, please, please build this. We definitely need a W in the city. Nor would I have minded if it stayed a Loews Hotel Project, because we could use one of them too. I was in the Loews South Beach last week, and it was pretty great. And if there is more open space in the theater district after the W, then maybe they'll build one.

And the W they building here resembles a glass version of the one they building in Dallas, TX. http://hksinc.com/

As of yesterday, the parking lot at Stuart and Tremont appeared to be closed. There was orange tape cordoning it off.

Well I guess that's the first step! I'll be around the area soon, maybe I'll get a few pictures.

According to Emporis, a 309 foot building would be the 48th tallest building in the city, wedging it in between the Sheraton South Tower(310ft) and 145 High Street (301ft)

Sheraton:
na430ex9_md.jpg

Wow this is good news...So I am assuming construction has started since the lot is closed and tape is up.
Definitely get some pictures :D

Don't be too happy. I'm not sure it's a definite go. Look at the Kensington in Chinatown. They did some prep work then nothing for months.

This is different than Kensington. If the parking lot is closed, it is almost certainly a go. The developer wouldn't shut down a revenue-producing parking lot unless they were ready to roll.

But where will the kids from the ROXY fight?

I believe that the architectural firm that worked on this building is in the building I work in. I overheard guys talking about it in the elevator...sound like it's a go.

EDIT: I guess you shouldn't trust everything that's posted on these forums.

That's the W Hotel? Based on the brick building to the left, and the silvery back end of that glass tower, it looks to me like that rendering is of the already-existing Northeastern dorm on Huntington Ave. across from the MFA - except with the low-rise portion magically raised to the full height of the building.

That rendering isn't the W hotel, it's Northeastern's computer science building & dormitory from Hemmingway Street. This must be an early rendering because the back half of the tower has a low-rise for classroom space and this looks like the upper dormitories were originally to continue down Parker Street.

Ablarc, I know your mantra is "it's better than a parking lot", but there is a lot worse than a parking lot. A bad building is a lot harder to replace than a parking lot. A better mantra perhaps would be " If you build, build it right".

This building looks as if it has been value-engineered to death. Its sole distinctive feature is gone in the latest renderings, and that was its zig-zagging facade along Stuart St. So now we have yet another big fat monotonous block-running facade downtown. Yay. Better than a parking lot?

A parking lot is potential. A bad building is a chronic affliction. Think Tremont On The Common. We're stuck with that POS until it falls down. You can probably say the same about this one as well.

Ground has been broken, and they were just starting to erect fencing when I was there this afternoon

img3782tv5.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back