W Hotel | 100 Stuart St | Theater District

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: W Hotel

Anyone know how well the residences are selling here?

Eleven of the 123 units have close. 24 of 103 at the Clarendon and 15 out of 138 at 45 Province.

Clarendon has been closing units fairly rapidly since the start of the new year. Several (half?) of these may have gone under agreement way back when it first started pre-sales but a good number (half?) went under agreement and closed this year, so it does have some momentum.

W has at least had some activity this year. 45 Province has only closed one unit since last September. It seems to be starting up a new marketing campaign so maybe it will help.

The Clarendon is best due to location; it only makes sense that it would be the first to see an improvement now that the economy is stabilizing.

Still, it will take awhile to burn through 350+ units at prices $750-$1,500 per square foot.

I wish i was even remotely in a position to buy. Oh well....someday (hopefully :confused:).

W Boston hotel, condos file for bankruptcy
April 28, 2010 05:57 PM

Just months after opening, the owner of the luxury W Boston Hotel and Residences in Park Square filed for bankruptcy today. The company said it needs breathing room to restructure debts that total more than $100 million.

The filing is also only months after the city of Boston gave the developers a $10.5 million mortgage. The city, however, is not listed as a creditor in the documents that were filed today.

In its bankruptcy filing, the SW Boston Hotel Venture listed liabilities of $100 million to $500 million. The company said in a statement this afternoon that the operations of the hotel and the condominiums will not be affected by the bankruptcy petition. SW Boston developed and owns the complex. The hotel is operated by a separate company, Starwood Hotels.

The owner's "goal is to restructure its existing debt and pay its creditors in full, and to continue to operate this project for the long-term,'' the company said in its statement. "Chapter 11 provides the breathing room to do so.?

The W is a 26-story combination hotel and condo tower at the corner of Tremont and Stuart streets in Boston's Theatre District. There are 235 hotel rooms and 122 condos, plus two bars, a restaurant, underground parking. The complex cost $234 million to build. Only about 30 percent of the condos have been sold or are under agreement.

In a statement today, the Menino administration noted the city's $10.5 million loan is secured by the W property and other real estate owned by the developer.

"We are committed to continuing to work with the W Hotel and other creditors to achieve a speedy resolution to this matter," the city said in its statement.

http://www.boston.com/business/ticker/2010/04/w_boston_hotel.html

Yeah, but what about the $10.5 million the city (read: mayor) gave them, last year? Will we ever see it again?

Governments should govern, not be bankers.

Yeah, but what about the $10.5 million the city (read: mayor) gave them, last year? Will we ever see it again?

Governments should govern, not be bankers.

Would love to know the details on that note. No interest for 30 years.
Menino really is a jackass

last week
169-1.jpg

I can only hope that the proposed 14 story building next to the Wilbur gets built. If ever a building needed a friend to complement it, it is indeed this poor thing.

Value engineering on the southern fa?ade casts the W into the realm of "bad building by a competent architect." Bill Rawn's better than this.

I like Hugh Stubbins. I hate the Tip O'Neil Building.

It's the 14 story, sort of wavy looking, proposed office/residential with the new type digital advertizing signs on it. The location is referred to as parcel P7-a under the BRA and there are some renderings of it somewhere earlier in this thread I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back