W Hotel | 100 Stuart St | Theater District

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: W Hotel

It's been the 'pick a fight' club scene for as long as I can remember. Probably was worse in the 1980s when everyone was on cocaine.

remembers when the Charles Playhouse featured a rotating set of temporary shows instead of being permanent home to Blue Mass Group. I think it once had a second stage, too.

^ it still does have a second stage. One stage has Blueman Group,the one downstairs has Shear Madness.

Yesterday:

6858271127_dae9ddfda3_b.jpg

So sad. How many kids squeezed 12 to a triple-decker apartment in Somerville, but because of ongoing pricing distortions there is empty residential space downtown.

If the residential space is not selling, why don't they convert it to more hotel rooms? There is always demand for more hotels.

If the residential space is not selling, why don't they convert it to more hotel rooms? There is always demand for more hotels.

We have been asking that question for years.

As I've also said in the past, the hotel itself is far below standard for a W destination in general. It has no character or life to it.

I wouldn't say it's "not selling"; it's sold slowly but units sell. So far, 63 units have sold out of the 123 in the building, including five in January 2012. Maybe about 22 sold in 2011, or 2 per month.

...the hotel itself is far below standard for a W destination in general. It has no character or life to it.

Agree. I've stayed in W properties in NYC and Chicago (all in repurposed buildings from the early 20th Century) and the Boston edition only has its (value engineered) newness going for it. If I were visiting Boston, for about the same money, I'd stay at the Ames.

I'd be content with a facade reno of that windowless first few floors. Worried that any replacement wouldn't be nearly as dense or wouldn't be fully residential.

Gee, $1.6 million for a 1200 square foot 2 bedroom? I'm shocked that they're not selling out.

I'm sure this is an easy economics answer, but why do these luxury condos and apartments not lower their prices when people aren't buying? What's the market reason for no price drop?

We have been asking that question for years.

As I've also said in the past, the hotel itself is far below standard for a W destination in general. It has no character or life to it.

Because it's two separate owners. Pebblebrook Hotel Trust owns the actual hotel portion, whereas Sawyer Enterprises owns the residential.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back