Waterside Place 1A | 505 Congress Street | Seaport

Re: Waterside Place

Lol, it looks like a really tall cruise ship.

The building we got looks like complete shit. However, urbanistically (<did I make up a word?) I think not getting that gigantic landscraper mall in the end is a plus. Look closer at those renderings, the part along D street below the billboard is a blank concrete wall at street level. All the stores advertised are big box behemoths that would have been insular and the only activity on the street they would have created would be massive traffic.

I mean yeah, I would kill for those materials to have been used on the current tower, but I don't think 550'x620' lowrise with two warts sticking out of the top would have been better in any way, no matter how jazzed up the exterior was. Besides, its likely it would have been value engineered to look like the ass end of the convention center anyway.

it's the 21st century version Tremont on the Common ....

(but actually worse than tremont on the common)

Wait, what? Is this the original proposal? WTF happened? I understand value engineering, alucobond, slicing 10 stories off of a building, etc., but.... wow.

WP-rend4.jpg

WP-rend8.jpg

It was going to be a mall. It's for the best that it's not being built, but unfortunately the scaled back housing portion of the project looks terrible.

Tell me about it.

That's why we have all collectively and acceptingly said the most offensive things possible about the project and developers.

I must say - It has been a great running joke.

Tell me about it.

That's why we have all collectively and acceptingly said the most offensive things possible about the project and developers.

I must say - It has been a great running joke.

"Her?"

It was going to be a mall. It's for the best that it's not being built, but unfortunately the scaled back housing portion of the project looks terrible.

Copley is a mall and Copley (the overall air rights development) works quite well. I don't think we can just condemn something for "being a mall." There are different types of malls.

Copley is a mall and Copley (the overall air rights development) works quite well. I don't think we can just condemn something for "being a mall." There are different types of malls.

I didn't condemn all malls... I don't think this mall would have been a good use of the undeveloped land in the Seaport. Copley Place isn't exactly a paragon of urbanism either, even compared to the Prudential Center.

Time hasn't been kind to Copley Place. But you had to see the post SS Pierce "before" to put it in proper context. Comparatively, it was a paragon of urbanism. You wouldn't build it today, of course.

Time hasn't been kind to Copley Place. But you had to see the post SS Pierce "before" to put it in proper context. Comparatively, it was a paragon of urbanism. You wouldn't build it today, of course.

Right you are. Precisely the reason I didn't find the Waterside Place Mall to be a good use of a huge chunk of Seaport land.

this building is a butt salad sandwich.

I keep thinking of this statement and laughing out loud. And then I wonder, "What exactly would be in a butt salad sandwich?"

Defecate, presumably, but what else? Mayonnaise? Celery? Would egg be involved?

A little of the cladding from Waterside Place all mashed up and mixed in with the other ingredients?

I thought it was a giant bottle opener.

Thanks for posting that picture so that I could throw up in my mouth a little.

;-)

OMG OMG OMG. If that thing stays, we definitely have to call it the "bottle opener building." Thank you.

Back