Waterside Place 1A | 505 Congress Street | Seaport

Re: Waterside Place | 505 Congress Street | Seaport

15211016739_ce10db7e48_b.jpg

15394594811_bca8eb677d_b.jpg

15211019379_690388b815_b.jpg

Does anyone else think that this building would look better with balconies?

I would be really embarrassed if I had anything to do with the design of this building. The Kensington looks like art compared to it.

I would be really embarrassed if I had anything to do with the design of this building. The Kensington looks like art compared to it.

I'd just tell people I designed the glass bit and then someone else took over.

I would tell them that I designed this:

WP-rend8.jpg

All that beautiful glass and all those beautiful balconies replaced with those panels, ugh! How does that happen? Is glass that much more expensive than accubond? Frankly, if the darker gray panels had been blue to match the blue trim and glass on the building it would have been an improvement.

All that beautiful glass and all those beautiful balconies replaced with those panels, ugh! How does that happen? Is glass that much more expensive than accubond? Frankly, if the darker gray panels had been blue to match the blue trim and glass on the building it would have been an improvement.

Balconies = $
Glass = $

Good design = n/a

cca

Remember me?

Looks pretty vacant.

I get it--that not all developments are supposed to be spectacular---But the garbage they continue to build on the most prime spot in Boston is a disgrace.

Seaport had everything going for it---And the city of Boston (BRA) should be ashamed of themselves on how this evolved.

Seaport should have been one of the GREAT developments in the city of Boston possibly the country instead we get mediocre development similar to Kendall Square and 128 Burlington.

The sad part is the taxpayers had to help the developers get this started: Remember Job Creation what a load bullshit.

A prime location and our leaders had no real vision besides copying Kendall or Burlington on the water:

I agree with you 100%, Rifleman.
What a squandered opportunity.

I get it--that not all developments are supposed to be spectacular---But the garbage they continue to build on the most prime spot in Boston is a disgrace.

Seaport had everything going for it---And the city of Boston (BRA) should be ashamed of themselves on how this evolved.

Seaport should have been one of the GREAT developments in the city of Boston possibly the country instead we get mediocre development similar to Kendall Square and 128 Burlington.

The sad part is the taxpayers had to help the developers get this started: Remember Job Creation what a load bullshit.

A prime location and our leaders had no real vision besides copying Kendall or Burlington on the water:

Riff -- give the people who are doing the planning and the architecture some credit

For some reason both Kendall and the SPID are attracting some of the biggest money in real estate development today

Both seem to be doing something right as far as the people who are actually doing the investing in the places -- perhaps they just perceive things differently

Both SPID and Kendall are also works in progress with lots of empty lots yet to be developed over the next two or so development cycles

Remember -- Back Bay was a 50 year development the first time around and then spent the next 100 plus years being repurposed and redone

Riff -- give the people who are doing the planning and the architecture some credit

For some reason both Kendall and the SPID are attracting some of the biggest money in real estate development today

Both seem to be doing something right as far as the people who are actually doing the investing in the places -- perhaps they just perceive things differently

Both SPID and Kendall are also works in progress with lots of empty lots yet to be developed over the next two or so development cycles

Remember -- Back Bay was a 50 year development the first time around and then spent the next 100 plus years being repurposed and redone

Whigh,

Boston is Boston--has unlimited Potential

Cambridge==Harvard & MIT---is doing everything right- and all the biotech & Robotics companies want to stay near the talent at all costs.

Not including Boston is a college town==BU, BC, Suffolk, NE, Emerson, Best Hospitals in the country.

Even Hollywood is looking to move in.

sorry I can't give the planners credit for building mediocre garbage in one of the last priceless areas right across the bridge to the city. No Vision at all. Seaport should have been a EPIC development of Innovation and Ideas.

The driving economics will never let that happen. Super-blocks, and investment portfolios that require you to "make a killing" do not support high quality urban design nor high quality building design. Unfortunately this is baked into our culture and cannot be blamed on any one entity. I guess we will just have to shake our fists to the sky.

cca

The driving economics will never let that happen. Super-blocks, and investment portfolios that require you to "make a killing" do not support high quality urban design nor high quality building design. Unfortunately this is baked into our culture and cannot be blamed on any one entity. I guess we will just have to shake our fists to the sky.

cca

Blame the planners and our leaders for not building for value for the city but only building for superblocks and tax incentives to get the Unions working.

I think the Greenway will become more unique than Seaport in the long-run.

Boston is still a great city but missed opportunity. Also Cambridge will probably surpass Boston in Office & Lab Rents. Cambridge Mass unbelievable--.........Next Boston will be competing with Somerville for their startups.

Just tells you leadership in Boston is getting outplayed by Cambridge.

Gods, this pig desperately needs some lipstick and a wig.

So I get that people don't like how this building looks, and I'm still not sure exactly what they were going for with the seemingly randomly placed darker panels (sometimes it looks like it rained, but only some of the panels got wet lol), but for those of you who've been by this thing in person, how is the ground level activity on the building? Its a pretty good location, and it seems like they intended for it to be an active street level, but have any of you been up close to this thing? And if so, what are your thoughts on that aspect of the building?

This would probably look okay in Miami built with outside porches/or decks. A cocaine residential tower:

Seriously Boston ---Seaport District? This is garbage

Also the more and more I look at Harbor Towers the more and more I dislike them for the Greenway. That part of the Greenway has become very gloomy if you ask me.

That part of the Greenway has become very gloomy if you ask me.

That might have something to do with winter :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Seriously Boston ---Seaport District? This is garbage

I am just interested in what you think Boston Seaport vernacular would be?

In my opinion this is just a free for all and we are getting what we are getting because we do not like to write tight control for these area because it scares away the money people who build them, and when you give someone who puts a pro-forma together with little or not architectural restrictions, you are guaranteed to get a melange of the lowest common denominator. There needs to be another incentive for high quality design. There is no line item on a pro-forma for pride of place - or civic responsibility. It just does not pay back.

cca

Back