West Cambridge / Alewife Area Infill & Small Developments

I don't know about that. This is a noisy section of Fresh Pond Parkway and it gets all backed up during rush hour. Plus, regardless of what the article says, that is probably more like a 20 minute walk to Alewife.

There really ought to be residential. Although it would be miserable driving to and from your apartment. Not super far from busses to Harvard, but nothing on the Parkway. Developers probably didn't think re-zoning and building costs were worth it.

I believe it's the "Tear it down ASAP and please try something totally different" School of architecture.

Well realistically what else is going to be built there? The whole area is basically an office park. Tear this down and you'll get maybe a slightly better version of an office park building. Architecturally it's an ugly area but at least there are nice wetlands with accessible trails. Even with all it's convenience it still seems like a dreary place to live.

Great sidewalk, would walk again A++++

I am going to assume these units have good sound proofing?

I can see some form of a noise wall being built (if one is not already planned) in the future if noise becomes a major problem.

I can see some form of a noise wall being built (if one is not already planned) in the future if noise becomes a major problem.

That would be hideous given the way this was built, and perhaps nearly impossible with the amount of land left available. And it would need to be ridiculously tall in order to "protect" the residents.

It's simple, if they don't like, they shouldn't live there. This isn't some hidden secret. Anyone who moves in will be fully aware of the highway being there.

The only real concern I see is pollution. Childhood asthma rates are much higher near highways. It may be perfectly fine for the singles and couples, but I'm concerned about the thought that someone may bring their child to live there. If the place has good seals on the windows, it may not be a problem, I don't know.

That would be hideous given the way this was built, and perhaps nearly impossible with the amount of land left available. And it would need to be ridiculously tall in order to "protect" the residents.

It's simple, if they don't like, they shouldn't live there. This isn't some hidden secret. Anyone who moves in will be fully aware of the highway being there.

The only real concern I see is pollution. Childhood asthma rates are much higher near highways. It may be perfectly fine for the singles and couples, but I'm concerned about the thought that someone may bring their child to live there. If the place has good seals on the windows, it may not be a problem, I don't know.

Perhaps you're right, I just don't understand why they would build so close to a major roadway that sees a good amount of traffic.

I don't know about that. This is a noisy section of Fresh Pond Parkway and it gets all backed up during rush hour. Plus, regardless of what the article says, that is probably more like a 20 minute walk to Alewife.

{EDIT} Sorry, I thought you were talking about the new dwellings on the Faces site. I now see you were talking about the new Fresh Pond strip retail near the Sozio rotary.

Last edited:
I hope there is an ounce of landscaping in front of these. Why not a small setback with a line of trees? Plenty of highways can be softened by this.

Reminds me of Houston...lots of apts. built right on the street with no trees.

How crazy is it that now that the Fitchburg Cutoff bridge at Alewife is open, the Fitchburg Cutoff path is closed? Was it not possible to build the stormwater catching thing during the *two years* that we were waiting for the bridge?

How crazy is that? How crazy is this. Cambridge is digging up all the streets in West Cambridge to do this sewer re-construction. After that, these repaved roads can't be dug up for seven years.
People have filed all kinds of city council orders trying to force the city to wire for fibreroptics and lease back to whatever carriers want to enter the city later but Cambridge says the timeframe is too tight.
So if you take 2015 add 7 more years, the soonest that West Cambridge would be able to get FiOS or RCN (if ever) would be 2022. Cutting edge city in the shadows of MIT and Harvard with a single cable monopoly eh? Cambridge never coordinates ANYTHING dealing with construction.

This was the first I've heard of any formulated plan until Digital_Islandboy mentioned it a few posts up. It's been desired for ages and talked about at planning meetings for years because people will cross over between Rindge/Jefferson Park and Danehy any way they can...through the asphalt killzone, through a hole in the fence and down the RR tracks, etc. You only have to take one look at the path worn into the overpass hillside and the shopping cart propped up at the bottom of the wall for "stairs" to know that the will of the people has been expressing itself pretty loudly here for decades. But no, nobody to my knowledge has done a PowerPoint presentation or drawn officially-sanctioned pretty pictures until now.

These are the general things needed in the area:
-- Aforementioned footbridge between Danehy and Jefferson Park/DCR fields over the Fitchburg line. For all the obvious reasons, but especially for the children in the area who very heavily use both parks. And also ped access from Danehy and Huron Village to the 83 and Alewife that doesn't involve getting blasted by sand and debris from the parkway sidewalk.

-- A real bike connector between Fresh Pond and Alewife to keep riders off the parkway and off the awful parkway sidewalks. Striping a lane on Terminal Rd. and building ramps up the embankment cuts a large amount of the distance off. Tougher part will be gaining an easement behind the plaza to connect Wheeler St. with Terminal and complete that connection from the Concord Ave. bike path + crosswalk. They have talked about the easement in meetings before, but so far the plaza owners haven't been willing to dance. The new condo developments on Wheeler and Fawcett might put some new pressure to get this done, since they're kind of cut off from the rest of the world.

-- H2O Branch rail trail. This one's pretty academic. Pretty much what you see on the (very nicely!) landscaped trail behind Watertown Mall to Arlington St., extended to the existing Fresh Pond path system. The Arlington-Grove St. segment is funded...now they just have to go fishing for Grove-Fresh Pond money. I can't stress enough how awesome that link will be...North Cambridge to Arsenal/H2O Sq. is almost impossible to reach in any halfway-direct way on bus, bike, or foot...this becomes a bona fide 'bipedal' transit line unto itself when it's built. Hell, people already walk the ROW from Watertown in droves to jog around the reservoir. Abandonment filing on the ROW finally went through late-2012 and the T is going to rip out the Fitchburg Line switch + storage siding when the Fitchburg Line signal replacement project reaches Cambridge. All the state has to do is buy the H2O Branch ROW from Pan Am, which will probably happen in the next year or so in a package sale because Pan Am also has a fresh abandonment in Lowell to sell that would allow the Bruce Freeman Trail to finally extend to downtown, and the T wants to outright own the tracks for the Fitchburg-Wachusett extension before that opens.

-- Sherman St. connecting path to the footbridge. Not a big deal since the Fitchburg Line is 4-track width here and they can simply pick either side of the ROW, throw up a chain link fence, pave, and go. Too many people from the Rindge side already use this as a de facto shortcut to Danehy that they need to fence it and make it "official" or somebody's gonna lose a leg to a train.

Those are the essentials establishing basic connectivity. The individual "nice to haves" would then be:

-- Trailing the H2O Branch behind New St. and the Mall so the Children's Village school and the new condos at the end of New have a less-dangerous walk to/from Danehy and Fresh Pond than the lousy sidewalks on New. Nobody's really talked about this short stretch of ROW because the rest of the trail ends on the other side of Fresh Pond and simply uses the existing striped bike path to get over here, so chances are when they link the rest this part's still going to sit dead and unused till somebody agitates to figure out a use.

-- Further extension of the Sherman St. connector between Sherman and the Pemberton-Walden Sq. underpass so those apt. blocks at Walden Sq., the schools on either side, and those fields/tennis courts are linked with the rest of the system. Same deal as the Sherman-Danehy leg...just chain-link fence and no-frills pave on one of the empty Fitchburg track berths. Cheapie.

-- Further extension from the Pemberton underpass all the way to Porter using the recently-restored historic Walden St. cow tunnel (hidden at far left of the Google shot) and ramping up to the driveway/commuter rail entrance on the Mass Ave. SB side of the street. Boy oh boy would it be nice to have all 3 of the outer Red Line stations connected to the same path system.

-- Extension of the Fitchburg Cutoff path from Brighton St. to Belmont Ctr. This one I think actually has some juice if the NIMBY's in town haven't gotten "concerned" yet, and likewise would just involve a no-frills chain-link fence and pave job one of the two empty outer track berths. People already trespass in droves here, especially the Belmont High School kids who scale the embankment for shortcuts. And it's going to become an issue for Alewife/Acorn Park that they're walled off from Belmont more seriously than they are Cambridge or Arlington.

Sorry. I was checking my many email inboxes trying to locate the reply but wasn't able to find it now.

I did come across more news from the City of Cambridge/DCR.
--

City of Cambridge (Official)
6/4/2013
The Department of Conservation and Recreation (DCR) and the City of Cambridge are pleased to announce the acquisition of a key land parcel that will create the final link in the Watertown-Cambridge Greenway. The Greenway is designed to provide an alternative route for cyclists and commuters utilizing sustainable modes of transportation that are traveling between the west and urban centers in Arlington, Cambridge and Boston. It also serves as a recreational greenway and passive park with abundant native plantings and wildlife. See the full story on the City of Cambridge Website, http://www.cambridgema.gov/citynews...inkforwatertowncambridgegreenwayacquired.aspx

Definitely not a 20 minute walk unless you're morbidly obese or just lazy.More like 5 minutes.

A standard measurement of walking speed is about 3 miles per hour = 20 minutes per mile.

Definitely not a 20 minute walk unless you're morbidly obese or just lazy.More like 5 minutes.
You and he are not talking about the same new development. He was referring to the new retail location at the Sozio Rotary (which *is* pushing 20 once you allow for crossing both the Fitchburg line and Route 16) while you seem to be talking about the FACES site (which *is* in the 5 to 7 min range).

Back