West Roxbury Infill and Small Developments

Approved

100 Charles Park Road​

View attachment 44693

“The Proponent is proposing to raze the existing structures and erect two (2) five (5) story residential buildings comprising a total of 123,905 square feet. The two (2) buildings together will contain one hundred twenty-one (121) units. The Project will also contain one subsurface parking garage containing ninety-one (91) parking spaces and one hundred twenty-four (124) bike spaces.”

https://www.bostonplans.org/projects/development-projects/100-charles-park-road
The parking ratio on this is surprising. That is not a location well served by transit, and will be even less well served once the bus network redesign is implemented. Having fewer parking spots than units might actually be problematic in this case, and I say that as somebody who almost always wants less parking, not more. Unless the Needham Line is getting an infill station, I don't see how this is going to work.

The parking ratio on this is surprising. That is not a location well served by transit, and will be even less well served once the bus network redesign is implemented. Having fewer parking spots than units might actually be problematic in this case, and I say that as somebody who almost always wants less parking, not more. Unless the Needham Line is getting an infill station, I don't see how this is going to work.
Yeah, that is surprising.
Various plans to extend the Orange Line have a possible station right there at VFW Parkway, which would be great. But it's hard to imagine the developers banking on that happening in any timeframe that matches their own construction plans.

-Approved

Baker Street Market in West Roxbury to be replaced with 14 condos and a smaller store​

By adamg on Tue, 12/12/2023 - 12:50pm
Baker Street rendering

“The Zoning Board of Appeal today approved plans by the owner of the Baker Street Market at Baker and Vermont street in West Roxbury to replace his store and parking lot with a four-story, 14-unit condo building with 23 parking spaces - and a smaller space for him to keep operating the market.

Two of the units - a one-bedroom condo and a two-bedroom one - would be sold affordable - to people making no more than 80% to 120% of the Boston area median income.

Owner Louis Dakoyannis, who grew up on Baker Street, says he would fill in the curb cut on Vermont Street.

Several nearby residents spoke against the plan, saying that the building was out of character with the surrounding one- and two-family houses and would lead to parking problems on nearby streets, even with 23 parking spaces, in part because customers of the hair salon across the street, which Dakoyannis also owns, would have nowhere to park.

They also said it would contribute to further congestion on Baker Street. One resident of nearby Chesbrough Street said it already takes her a half hour to drive the roughly half-mile to Spring Street in the morning.
The proposal needed board approval for reasons that included the building being taller than allowed under the site's zoning and because of issues related to traffic visibility at the intersection. Dakoyannis's attorney, Joseph Hanley, said the new building would actually increase visibility at the intersection.”

https://www.universalhub.com/2023/baker-street-market-west-roxbury-be-replaced-14
There’s no way it takes anyone 30 minutes to get from Chesbrough to Spring St. I hope someone pulled out google maps and set the time for rush hour morning to disprove that crap.

This is certainly big for the neighborhood but Baker is a main road and these are the changes we have to make across the city. I’m glad the market will keep operating.

There’s no way it takes anyone 30 minutes to get from Chesbrough to Spring St. I hope someone pulled out google maps and set the time for rush hour morning to disprove that crap.
Google says 3 minutes tomorrow at 8AM. Not to mention, if it really was 30 minutes, somebody on Chesbrough could just cut over to Temple, and come out on Centre St. instead. NIMBYs have reached that stage of propaganda where blatantly lying is considered an acceptable strategy.

231-245 Grove Street​

1709740801790.jpeg

“The 231-245 Grove Street proposed development consists of the redevelopment of two parcels, 231-239 Grove Street (3,470 square feet) and 241-245 Grove Street (10,016 square feet). The parcels combine to create a 13,486-square-foot project site. Both parcels currently contain one (1) story commercial buildings. The proposal is to construct a five (5) story building containing 6,140 square feet of ground floor retail and thirty (30) residential units. Parking is provided at-grade and will be accessed from Washington Street through an existing project the Proponent has come into ownership of (5205 Washington Street). Eleven (11) motor vehicles will be provided, all internal to the building. Additionally, forty-six (46) bicycle parking spaces are provided for residents, as well as up to ten (10) visitor bicycle parking spaces on site.”

https://www.bostonplans.org/projects/development-projects/231-245-grove-street

231-245 Grove Street​

View attachment 48285

“The 231-245 Grove Street proposed development consists of the redevelopment of two parcels, 231-239 Grove Street (3,470 square feet) and 241-245 Grove Street (10,016 square feet). The parcels combine to create a 13,486-square-foot project site. Both parcels currently contain one (1) story commercial buildings. The proposal is to construct a five (5) story building containing 6,140 square feet of ground floor retail and thirty (30) residential units. Parking is provided at-grade and will be accessed from Washington Street through an existing project the Proponent has come into ownership of (5205 Washington Street). Eleven (11) motor vehicles will be provided, all internal to the building. Additionally, forty-six (46) bicycle parking spaces are provided for residents, as well as up to ten (10) visitor bicycle parking spaces on site.”

https://www.bostonplans.org/projects/development-projects/231-245-grove-street

I think Boston would be a much more interesting and liveable city if all of the absurd single-story retail corridors had 2-3 stories of housing up top. Looks like a great proposal.

I think Boston would be a much more interesting and liveable city if all of the absurd single-story retail corridors had 2-3 stories of housing up top. Looks like a great proposal.
Agreed, and we are slowly building momentum for this. There have been three build above projects completed recently in my neighborhood, with another getting underway. There have also been some tear downs and replacements of single story retail with multi-level combined housing above street level retail. There is a huge opportunity for more of this, and what I've noticed is less pushback with each new proposal. Under Squares+Streets, some of this might become as of right construction, and then it will hopefully really take off.

@F-Line to Dudley can speak to the titanically disgusting moronity of Dedham's decision to sink the chance of turning this line into an OL extension back in the day. Probably the most egregious and unforgivable example of a transit failure and loss of a very direct ROW straight to downtown anywhere in the region.

Once that happened, the West Roxbury portion was pointless and although I think there was some talk of making a short linear path, the MBTA sold off the ROW to abutters. What's funny is I was looking at the assessor's database only a few weeks ago and I noticed that several of the parcels closest to Spring were all owned not by an abutter, but by some company-sounding name. So now I have an answer to why.

ROW's in urban, suburban, and rural areas should be treated as sacrosanct. We live in an era of ever weakening government power, and the days of large planning decisions that sacrifice a few private property rights for the sake of the common good are over. I hope we never, ever see a disaster like that which befell the Dedham Branch ever again.

I've walked though these neighborhoods with my father, who's pointed out the area where the old rail line used to run (extant, but unused), and has since been built over with SFH. While I also bemoan the loss of the ROW, what's done is done, and I don't believe a short path here would have added really anything at all, and am glad that housing, while less dense that I'd like, is coming to this otherwise dead parcel of land.

Thinking about it a little more, is it not the Star Market plaza that's the real killer for this ROW, rather than the portion that extends down toward Dedham? Without the stretch of ROW across Spring St to connect it to the Needham line, there's not a whole lot of use that it would provide.

I've walked though these neighborhoods with my father, who's pointed out the area where the old rail line used to run (extant, but unused), and has since been built over with SFH. While I also bemoan the loss of the ROW, what's done is done, and I don't believe a short path here would have added really anything at all, and am glad that housing, while less dense that I'd like, is coming to this otherwise dead parcel of land.

Thinking about it a little more, is it not the Star Market plaza that's the real killer for this ROW, rather than the portion that extends down toward Dedham? Without the stretch of ROW across Spring St to connect it to the Needham line, there's not a whole lot of use that it would provide.
I’m really only lamenting the loss of the entire ROW, not the later loss of the small segment off Spring St didn’t become a linear path—I do think it would’ve been nice, and unique, for something like that, but we are a nation of private property rights no matter the cost, and so no, it would not have been anything other than a nice thing for the public to take a nice walk on.

151 Rivermoor Street​

1713478073557.jpeg

“FPM Boston Real Estate, LLC proposes to redevelop a parcel of land located at 151 Rivermoor Street, West Roxbury. The subject parcel is 192,000 SF. Redevelopment includes the construction of approximately 62,000 SF Warehouse and typical site improvements. The project site currently includes surface area parking.”

https://www.bostonplans.org/projects/development-projects/151-rivermoor-street

Back