West Roxbury Infill and Small Developments

I want to live in that place!

Hard disagree--this is one of the last places I'd want to live in Boston. The architecture is pretty, but it's the type of development that combines the worst aspect of urban living (shared space) with the worst aspect suburban living (absolutely no walkability). There's not a single everyday errand you can do on foot from this location. The only retail you can walk to is a literal farm stand--that's how out of the way this is.

Hard disagree--this is one of the last places I'd want to live in Boston. The architecture is pretty, but it's the type of development that combines the worst aspect of urban living (shared space) with the worst aspect suburban living (absolutely no walkability). There's not a single everyday errand you can do on foot from this location. The only retail you can walk to is a literal farm stand--that's how out of the way this is.

I hadn't seen the location. You're right, very suburban. Not far from Forest Hills as the crow flies but you definitely need a car.

Developer says he's going to build 21 condos in West Roxbury, the only question is whether he builds them on Centre Street or the city gives him a nearby parking lot to put them on
1905centre.jpg

“Developer Gary Martell told residents last night that if the city gives him the parking lot at Corey and Railroad streets for his latest condo proposal, he'll gladly give up the decaying old Gilmore place and the small brutalist former bank next door on Centre Street so that residents can try to turn them into a history-oriented community center…”

https://www.universalhub.com/2022/developer-says-hes-going-build-21-condos-west

The BP station on the corner of Center & Belgrade was demolished & cleared several months ago, for awhile it was used as public parking, but now it's fenced off and something's being worked on. Anyone know what?

20220803_171157.jpg

Developer says he's going to build 21 condos in West Roxbury, the only question is whether he builds them on Centre Street or the city gives him a nearby parking lot to put them on
1905centre.jpg

“Developer Gary Martell told residents last night that if the city gives him the parking lot at Corey and Railroad streets for his latest condo proposal, he'll gladly give up the decaying old Gilmore place and the small brutalist former bank next door on Centre Street so that residents can try to turn them into a history-oriented community center…”

https://www.universalhub.com/2022/developer-says-hes-going-build-21-condos-west
Don’t know why anyone would want a condo at that location. It is endless traffic.

The BP station on the corner of Center & Belgrade was demolished & cleared several months ago, for awhile it was used as public parking, but now it's fenced off and something's being worked on. Anyone know what?

View attachment 26948
I think I read somewhere that another gas station would be taking that lot, but I can't seem to find a reference to that.

The Board approved an update to a previously approved project at 400 Belgrade Avenue in West Roxbury to reduce the amount of parking on site.
5d336ab7-adc6-45fc-9c3d-e58f1b468174

The 400 Belgrade Avenue Project which received Board approval in October of 2016 is proposing to reduce the total number of parking spaces from 33 to 18 spaces. The parking spaces will be located internal to the building using the same curb cut that was approved by all city agencies.
https://www.bostonplans.org/projects/development-projects/400-belgrade-avenue

Great, there was no meaningful justification for so much parking in a fairly small footprint structure. Hopefully this means they will start building soon. That parcel has been crying for attention for a long time.

Reactions: FK4
Owners of West Roxbury office building want to replace it with apartments
1208C-VFW-Pky-West-Roxbury-MA-Primary-Photo-1-Large.jpg

“The owners of a three-story office building at 1208C VFW Parkway in West Roxbury say they want to replace it with a five-story, 55-unit apartment building.

In a "letter of intent" filed with the BPDA this week, Richard Olstein and Michael Staiti say they will soon file detailed plans for the building, which sits at the end of a row of other office buildings along the Needham Line train tracks and next to a 60-unit apartment complex that B'nai B'rith Housing New England is current building at 270 Baker St.

Olstein and Staiti say their plans will include 55 parking spaces in a surface lot and a "generous landscape courtyard" that will connect to a courtyard at the B'nai B'rith project. They add they will also include plans for a sidewalk to connect their building with Baker Street.”

https://www.universalhub.com/2023/owners-west-roxbury-office-building-want-replace

Wrong thread -- this is West Roxbury, not Roxbury.

Wrong thread -- this is West Roxbury, not Roxbury.

God damnit my bad. I typed roxbury in search and was scrolling just looking for “infill and small developments” to show up and must not have noticed the west part. Its been moved.

Back