What I hate about Boston

It's always sad when a station goes, but radio itself (in its current form) is pretty much on it's deathbed.

Heck, I even listened to FNX every day when I was in Berlin. I love the station and awesome mix of music that you don't quite get anywhere else.

@data, People take the MIT station VERY seriously. The UMass Lowell station has a loyal following as well. Both are more bleedingly hip than anything WFNX ever did.

And it's hardly the end of alternative/rock in Boston. Go down to any of the practice spaces around Boston like N Beacon or Hichborn, or to clubs like Great Scott, PA's, Radio, and poll people on how much they listen to FNX. It'd be pretty low.

Outside of academic fantasyland, what you propose is usually not economically feasible, and even when it is there remain more lucrative options for developers. Besides, there is already a huge supply of 'market rate' affordable housing in and around Boston. It's not necessarily new or in particularly great neighborhoods, but so what?

What is your price range of affordable housing? 'Market Rate' is a relative term. Obviously this huge supply of affordable housing is not well known enough or they are really not that affordable considering the fact that most of the people I work with (in a corporate firm) advise against looking for a place in Boston because it's too expensive.

Regardless, it's true developers will always choose the more lucrative option like you say, but as you also stated, Co-ops can be economically feasible if they are built away from prime location.

There's a whole section in Charlestown along Medford St (near the docks to the north) where it's underused and underdeveloped. The surrounding area already contains a Co-op complex. I've always wonder why there hasn't been any effort to develop this section but I would say that this would be a good location for something similar to Co-op City.

The fantasy land where Boston has enough low and middle income housing sounds SPECTACULAR.

@data, People take the MIT station VERY seriously. The UMass Lowell station has a loyal following as well. Both are more bleedingly hip than anything WFNX ever did.

Add radio to the ever-growing list of Boston cultural organs that need to be taken under the wing of universities to survive.

That kind of sponsorship is critical, but no art/music scene is taken seriously unless it's at least somewhat independent of institutional alignments and pressures.

Alternatives from a UHub commenter:

Boston has some of the best radio in the country - college & community radio. Check out 88.1 88.9. 90.3 and 95.3 for real alternative radio!

Add radio to the ever-growing list of Boston cultural organs that need to be taken under the wing of universities to survive.

That kind of sponsorship is critical, but no art/music scene is taken seriously unless it's at least somewhat independent of institutional alignments and pressures.

It's not a Boston thing. Radio is radio all over the country. All stations have the same problem. And I'm not sure if you're suggesting that the art/music scene is under the wing of the universities, but that's pretty far from the truth also. Universities don't control the venues (I can think of that one Berkeley Cafe, but no self respecting punk band is going there), they don't control the practice spaces (for the most part), and they don't control the internet that replaced radio.

Of course, it's a national issue. I think there's a particular danger of being blithe about the diminished presence of the (non-corporate) arts when universities offer alternatives, though, which seems to happen in Boston, given the abundance of such institutions, more than in other cities. Valid point that the universities don't control every aspect of the music production or consumption process, but you've sidestepped the issue at hand -- to the extent anyone cares anymore about radio, it's a fact that every worthwhile station mentioned here is university-affiliated.

I'm not getting into this conversation .... but, here's my comment.

Landlord: I just built a new low-priced complex, the rent is $1,200 for a one bedroom.
Me: Awesome!
Landlord: Sorry, I already have someone interesting in paying full price.
Me: I'll pay $1,201!
Landlord: Okay ... wait, someone's willing to pay me $1,202.
Me; I'll pay ...

Get it?

you've sidestepped the issue at hand -- to the extent anyone cares anymore about radio, it's a fact that every worthwhile station mentioned here is university-affiliated.

I'm not sidestepping it at all. I just don't think an outdated delivery vehicle being replaced by a new delivery vehicle is something to worry about. Music will survive long after radio, and it'll probably even survive after we replace the internet and ipods.

And I'm really not sure what your argument about the universities controlling music. Outside of a handful of radio stations, they have zero influence (other than a lot of bands having members in college). Carl Lavin controls more music in Boston than BU does. It's not even comparable.

I guess the difference between the two of us if you think losing radio is a problem. I just don't think it is. Radio doesn't matter as much as it used to. It's been replaced. The good news is we aren't losing the end result. We're just losing the old shell it used to come in.

I'm not getting into this conversation .... but, here's my comment.

Landlord: I just built a new low-priced complex, the rent is $1,200 for a one bedroom.
Me: Awesome!
Landlord: Sorry, I already have someone interesting in paying full price.
Me: I'll pay $1,201!
Landlord: Okay ... wait, someone's willing to pay me $1,202.
Me; I'll pay ...

Get it?

And then there are the places in Saugus and Chelsea and Malden and so on which nobody will touch for more than $850 - for a three bedroom no less.

I like the emerson, mit, bc and umass radio stations, but i'll miss the mix that fnx played of mainstream alt and relatively unknown brands. Sometimes I just don't want to listen to hours on end of college DJ's and their incredibly eclectic tastes in music. More than that, I lament the loss of a station that brought alt rock to a wider audience, mainstream programing dedicated to local music, and the general impact it will have on the local scene.

And then there are the places in Saugus and Chelsea and Malden and so on which nobody will touch for more than $850 - for a three bedroom no less.

Putting Saugus and Malden on par with Chelsea? Ouch. :(

Internet radio and portable storage iEverything killed radio and eventually internet video streaming is going to kill off broadcast TV.

eventually internet video streaming is going to kill off broadcast TV.

Can't become more mainstream soon enough. Can't wait to just stream on my computer and have it come up on a massive TV screen.

I much prefer listening to the radio over listening to an iPod, just as I prefer to watch shows when they air on TV (or DVR) opposed to watching them on DVD (even though I own the series). I just like the element of surprise. Listening to the radio is different than what you get with an iPod on shuffle.

Today was and still is a fantastic day on FNX. Great sets from the DJs' final shows.

Can't become more mainstream soon enough. Can't wait to just stream on my computer and have it come up on a massive TV screen.

I may have misunderstood this, but if you're just talking about streaming to your TV this pretty much IS mainstream at this point. Grab a smart TV or if you're happy with your current set, pick up a roku.

I may have misunderstood this, but if you're just talking about streaming to your TV this pretty much IS mainstream at this point. Grab a smart TV or if you're happy with your current set, pick up a roku.

Maybe all of my friends just suck, but I can't think of any that do this, so I'm not sure I'd call it mainstream. Meh. *shrugs*

Back