Whats left to build on?

Ooh ok got ya.

Yea;
That pike ramp there has always been an awful location - pedestrians and drivers constantly confused; the ramp kinda/sorta looks like an extension of newbury, but then there's the actual extension of newbury right next to it.

If I had a billion bucks, I'd move the pike ramp less than a block away to be part of the system of existing ramps at comm/charlesgate east/newbury...then there'd be a direct connection from Comm to the ramp, which is where a lot of these cars are coming from anyway.

Then I'd build a large public plaza /widened public extension of newbury.

If i had a billion i always thought it would be cool to make a white washed brick rowhouse neighborhood with only birch trees lining the sidewalks.

If i had a billion i always thought it would be cool to make a white washed brick rowhouse neighborhood with only birch trees lining the sidewalks.

Build them at wonderland and call them revered brownstones.

Just replace "MBTA's refusal to expand" with "the state's refusal to plan for the
long-term economic viability of Boston by ignoring transportation infrastructure issues."

precisely.

I sketched up something quick to see what a new tallest at the dalton st garage would look like.

Great, now knock down the Sheraton North Tower and build 780' on the newly formed mega-parcel (you
get when adding the North Tower's footprint to the low section between the North and South tower/s).

Wouldn't it be great if we could cite examples of Sheraton Hotels and Resorts doing the types of projects Four Seasons
is doing at 1 Dalton? Be great if they could team up with them or Millennium Partners and smash it out of the park.

As horrific as it's massing + curtain wall is, the North Tower is 1 seriously ain't broke, lucrative property to delete.

This parcel across from bulfinch crossing is zoned for 775'

I rendered what a tower would look like here at that height, also filling in another gap in the skyline. Its a thin parcel so it would need to be one of those ny thin residentials here.

As it stands now I could see tons of opposition, but after the office tower is built I think it would have a much better shot at happening.

As it stands now I could see tons of opposition

Could this be built without a zoning variance? If it is zoned for 775', then anything 775' and under is fair game on that end. What about the rest of the details? Could this be put through without community input?

Sorry i worded that completely wrong. I dont know what the zoning is but I doubt its 775. The FAA allowable max here is 775'. Thats what I meant to say, my apologies. Thats what I rendered it up to, the FAA max allowable height. The zoning is probably like 200' here give or take if I had to guess.

Gauging it off of recent west end complaints I would never see this happening, but after the bulfinch towers, garden garage, north station, and hub on causeway are completed opinions may sway in the future. If this parcel is still empty all those years later it could be a possibility. Most likely what will be built here though is a liberty mutual shaped tower about the height of the merano.

I do think this is a good parcel for this height though, because it will be tucked in behind a lot of towers coming online in the near future. Like I said though most likely it will be a very short triangular infill piece.

Last edited:
Sorry i worded that completely wrong. I dont know what the zoning is but I doubt its 775. The FAA allowable max here is 775'. Thats what I meant to say, my apologies. Thats what I rendered it up to, the FAA max allowable height. The zoning is probably like 200' here give or take if I had to guess.

Gauging it off of recent west end complaints I would never see this happening, but after the bulfinch towers, garden garage, north station, and hub on causeway are completed opinions may sway in the future. If this parcel is still empty all those years later it could be a possibility. Most likely what will be built here though is a liberty mutual shaped tower about the height of the merano.

I do think this is a good parcel for this height though, because it will be tucked in behind a lot of towers coming online in the near future. Like I said though most likely it will be a very short triangular infill piece.

It is a good parcel for height for these reasons and others, such as: adjacent buildings have blank/party walls facing this lot so no one's view will be directly blocked; it's right next to transit (green/orange); it's at the far end of the Bulfinch triangle, relatively far from the angry neighbors of prior protests. While it's a long shot, this one does actually have a shot at height.

The BRA has said the FAA can negotiate on height in some instances SST for example. I think this is one of the most prime parcels for the next tallest in Boston that there is. Its way off centerline from any runway, and its in a kind of no mans land away from the common and big shot neighborhoods. It also would be blocked from up close by the many surrounding towers going in. I think this could be a hidden gem if the BRA played their cards right. Its also centered more inside the city to create a nice peak vs if we got this height right against the edge of the city at the garden. Tall towers look better with shorter towers around them. I think this could be the perfect spot to jump on the ny bandwagon of ultra tall ultra thin residentials and create Bostons next tallest. Where else other than the dalton garage do we have? I may email the BRA about this as I have with quite a few different prospects in the past and see what they think. It would be pretty cool to get one of those new breed ny pencil towers downtown. Hell maybe we could get a lit spire and end this thing once and for all. Menino tried for 1100 ft at winthrop, maybe we could get 1000 to the tip of a thin spire here which is much further from logan.

Sketching some ideas in paint.

Placeholder at city hall plaza

Im done now I swear.

Last edited:
Im not goin anywhere I just beat this parcel to death. And thank you by the way.

Heres another parking garage iv been eyeballin for a residential.

Tons of transit very close by. The pike, green line, orange line, commuter rail....etc. Not to mention plenty of jobs where these people could walk to work as well.

Last edited:
Heres how it would look with a completed 1 Dalton

Here it is with 1 Dalton and a completed dalton st garage.

Any chance the Hines convention center could be redeveloped? It doesn't need to be demolished but something tall could be built ontop of it.

I doubt it but who knows. Heres one more with the pike air rights parcels added in.

^ Both that parcel and the dalton st garage have an FAA max allowable height of 1000' btw. Imagine.......

This garage also aligns with the right offset spine so it would be in line with 1 dalton, 111 huntington, and copley. Bringing order to a skyline built on unorderly streets, which I always thought was cool how the back bay does that.

Anyways I threw it onto the render I made higher up in this thread where I whipped together a quick 1 dalton sketch.

Max height:

Fade away jumper from the new king of Boston at the Dalton Garage.

I personally think it looks best peaking at the dalton garage with a tower built there that is the absolute king of all towers in Boston. Build a vanderbuilt-esque tapering glass tower with setbacks, diagonal beams, a lit crown, spire, outdoor observation deck, the whole 9. Throw the kitchen sink at it. Whoever is building tower verre in NY kidnap him and lock him in a room until he delivers the greatest tower Boston has ever seen. Then from there the skyline tapers away to garage tower #2, continues through 2 charlesgate west, the fenway towers and ends at the pierce/longwood. I think that would look the best over all.

This skyline would be no joke from across the charles, especially with downtown coming into its own, a few more "gap fillers" going up between the back bay and downtown, and the fenway area filling in. I would love to see something like this in my lifetime.

Last edited:
I doubt it but who knows. Heres one more with the pike air rights parcels added in.

I think the Dalton Street garage location is very doable.

I don't see anyone getting past NIMBY opposition to a tower in the middle of the low rise Symphony neighborhood -- even though you are just across Mass. Ave. from the other towers.

Back