Winter Garden | 100 Federal St. | Financial District

Here here, Equilibria. I actually thought it was a temporary work shed, or a makeshift office space for the construction team, until I looked closer. I'd like to believe that there's a good reason for it, but I'm not able to discern what it is.

how did this ever get its own thread?

move it to the retail thread.

Well it's better than what was there before and I'm sure it will be used for lunch, but not much else.

This will officially be open by next Monday, February 26th. The Federal Street side of the lobby will then be closed for renovations (expected to reopen by June). Not sure on what retail will be going into this space just yet.

Side note, I hope they end up planting some trees along Congress Street. At this point, there are no tree wells.

A lot of thought, (some) expensive materials, and a complete lack of craft have conspired to create the world's most expensive chicken coop.

Yeah, but we'll get to watch some company have their Christmas party in there next December. It's a big aquarium.

Just like Draper Lab's new glass atrium, it's an eye-catching, interesting addition to the building and the neighborhood, It'll get much more use than the windswept, mostly deserted plaza that it replaced.

This is one reason why I enjoy visiting our (booming) American cities, “objects of interest”. Whether it’s unique clocks, creative signage, colorful retail window displays, sidewalk patterns, water features, viewing platforms, vertical seating, clever artwork (hats off to the Rose Kennedy Greenway Conservancy), smart, eye-catching architectural features and unique, pedestrian-inviting attractions such as 100 Federal’s Winter Garden, I’m all in. Objects such as these present special day/night photo opportunities and make cities stimulating to view and fascinating to saunter through.

I wish it success.

Mikyoung Kim design, they created the 888 Boylston wind vane light column plaza, another interesting creation to look at, which won two lighting design awards and a commercial landscape architecture award.
Website states, “The plaza includes a glass atrium with kiosk spaces, winter garden and farm-to-table restaurants”.
Architect: Perkins & Will

Last edited:
Wait... so are there trees and large plants in there, or is it just seating?

Just like Draper Lab's new glass atrium, it's an eye-catching, interesting addition to the building and the neighborhood, It'll get much more use than the windswept, mostly deserted plaza that it replaced.

This is a much much more prominent location. The Draper lab is pretty out of the way for most people. I think they were trying to activate the building, enclosing the "C" shape and having a nicer space for it's users rather than it's street presence. Here it seems they were going for the streetscape presence more than the building.

Wait... so are there trees and large plants in there, or is it just seating?

The trees will be on the sidewalk, to the left of the winter garden. The sloping picture taken by Beeline will become (it seems to me) a water feature.

I'm basing this off of the renders back in post #38.

http://www.archboston.org/community/showpost.php?p=252389&postcount=38

40282145062_9312f11b91_b.jpg

vs.

MBQKjsk.png

The trees will be on the sidewalk, to the left of the winter garden. The sloping picture taken by Beeline will become (it seems to me) a water feature.

So, they built a "winter garden"... with the foliage outside?

That's called a lobby.

As a kid, I remember being confused the first time I visited Madison Square Garden. Boston Garden at least features Celtic green.

As a kid, I remember being confused as to why the building seemed so rounded for a "square." It made no sense to me.

As a kid, I remember being confused as to why the building seemed so rounded for a "square." It made no sense to me.

Because the first building (two, actually) was located at Madison Sq. They kept the name after they moved it. The one above Penn Station is the 4th iteration.

509 Madison, at least they don't have the temerity to call it a "winter garden".

Compared to this, ^^^^ the "Winter Garden" is false advertising.

In that case, good thing only people on Archboston are calling it that, lol.

Doing some Googling, I see it's formally called The Exchange at 100 Federal St.:

http://www.mcsal.com/100-federal/

Isn't it nice when (nonexistent/imaginary) problems such as these resolve themselves?

Back