Winthrop Center | 115 Winthrop Square | Financial District

Re: 115 Winthrop Square | Financial District

From wikipedia:
Boston density: 6,900/sq mi
DC: 11,158/sq mi

I was referencing density and not total population - you can have population density without building taller than about 6 stories, as DC also shows. Paris is on an entirely different level at 55,000/sq mi.

Where did you find those numbers? I'm looking at this Wikipedia entry listing cites above 10,000 ppm:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_cities_by_population_density

It states Boston at 13,321 and DC doesn't make the list.

From wikipedia:

I was referencing density and not total population - you can have population density without building taller than about 6 stories, as DC also shows. Paris is on an entirely different level at 55,000/sq mi.

These numbers are not apples to apples.

The quoted DC density is 2016 population (681,170 people) divided by land area (61.05 sq miles). That yields 11,158 people per square mile.

The quoted Boston density is 2010 population (617,594 people) divided by total area (89.63 square miles). That yields 6,890 people per square mile.

If you use the same calculation DC uses for Boston (2016 pop / land area) you get (673,184 / 48.42) = 13,903 people per square mile. That's 24.6% more dense than DC.

The quoted DC density is 2016 population (681,170 people) divided by land area (61.05 sq miles). That yields 11,158 people per square mile.

The quoted Boston density is 2010 population (617,594 people) divided by total area (89.63 square miles). That yields 6,890 people per square mile.

If you use the same calculation DC uses for Boston (2016 pop / land area) you get (673,184 / 48.42) = 13,903 people per square mile. That's 24.6% more dense than DC.

Good catch, you have to be careful with population density calculations!

Yes, Boston likes to promote the larger area number, because the city is really quite tiny. The land area of Boston is second smallest in the US for major cities, just above San Francisco.

Total area for Boston includes a huge chunk of Boston Harbor.

From wikipedia:

your number for Boston looks like it's showing the metro statistical area.

Boston's density for the city proper is very close to 14,000/ sq mi.

Where did you find those numbers? I'm looking at this Wikipedia entry listing cites above 10,000 ppm:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_cities_by_population_density

This is also an old number. We topped 14,000 / sq mi sometime late last year. ....If you go to the Boston Wiki page, you'll see the updated numbers, which may also, soon need to be updated.

Yes, Boston likes to promote the larger area number, because the city is really quite tiny. The land area of Boston is second smallest in the US for major cities, just above San Francisco.

Total area for Boston includes a huge chunk of Boston Harbor.

I guess it depends on how you define "major." Miami is 35.99 sq. miles (land).

It was from each city's individual pages.

Ah, thanks, and, yes Wikipedia always comes with a grain of salt. My point of Paris and other cities still stand, though, and I only added DC as I was curious when someone else mentioned it (although the figure of Boston should have jumped out at me as odd). Anyways, mid-census population estimates are curious at best - it will be interesting to see how the 2020 census actually turns out.

Also, I suppose, DC has way more reserved land than us with all the federal buildings, national mall, government agencies, vacant land owned by the feds/government, etc, that even with very height limited buildings they aren't that far off of us.

Also, I suppose, DC has way more reserved land than us with all the federal buildings, national mall, government agencies, vacant land owned by the feds/government, etc, that even with very height limited buildings they aren't that far off of us.

I just double checked and DC doesn't have an airport within city limits. Subtract out Logan and Boston is over 15,000/square mile.

I think the point I'm making is that DC has a population slightly larger than Boston and it got to that level with 0 skyscrapers and without an expansive land area like Louisville.

But, you'd have to bring the dozers to many areas of Boston to approach DC's mid-rise density. A mix of height all through the City is the perfect theme that stops the bulldozing of entire sections of neighborhoods.

I just double checked and DC doesn't have an airport within city limits. Subtract out Logan and Boston is over 15,000/square mile.

Logan is 2,384 acres or 3.725 sqr mi? The feds along own ~29% of DC's land (or 18 sq mi)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/local/dc-marijuana-map/

But, you'd have to bring the dozers to many areas of Boston to approach DC's mid-rise density. A mix of height all through the City is the perfect theme that stops the bulldozing of entire sections of neighborhoods.

Just doing main streets like Dot Ave, Blue Hill, Washington St, Centre, etc to have solid street walls at 3-4 stories (add on existing like in Rozzie Square) or 5-6 stores on vacant/shit lots (see around Ashmont St) would do more than the Bromfield, Winthrop Square, Copley Square, South Station, etc towers that have been proposed.

I think the point I'm making is that DC has a population slightly larger than Boston and it got to that level with 0 skyscrapers and without an expansive land area like Louisville.

So your point is more land, more people can live there? Brilliant.

i wish any of these many recent posts had anything to do with news relating to 115 winthrop...

This is also an old number. We topped 14,000 / sq mi sometime late last year. ....If you go to the Boston Wiki page, you'll see the updated numbers, which may also, soon need to be updated.
Agreed. The page I cited is using the 2010 census data, so obviously it's out of date. I was only trying to demonstrate that the bellow 7,000 number was wildly off.

Boston and ny used to be the same size way back in the day. I feel like the more you build the more people move here and it does nothing for housing costs. From new amsterdam to 8 million people...

boom! Attention turns now to the FAA

finally, some actual news! thanks, dshoost

Back