Winthrop Center | 115 Winthrop Square | Financial District

Re: 115 Winthrop Square | Financial District

What a relief!

It actually talks to Millennium Tower!

Definite improvement, glad they brought this back.

50mbvzA.jpg

Based off my interpretation of the detailing, this could look really neat depending on the light... Playing of MT and the Hancock at sunset, but with its own distinct look... If those indents make it through to the final design, they'd also make for some great lighting at night.

It could be better, but at least I no longer hate it so that's definitely something. It won't ruin the skyline by any means.

This is wonderful. I'm so proud that our community was able to influence a change for the better and I'm very appreciative that Millennium was more than open-minded to take a second look at their design. I know that not every tower will look great but I hope that we will continue to hold architects accountable for their design wherever it makes sense to.

Notice the slender joint making it look much more like two distinct towers (above the office section). We were told this was probably going to happen. Joe asked us not to 'blab...' As stated at the meeting, the layout of the office floors remain unchanged (except for the corners).

There was never any reason to take out the 'vertical lines' of the mechanical floors... It looks tall again. So there it is. Joe; Very nice! Much better. Absolutely thrilled. It's as tall as it's ever gonna be. Build it!!

It actually talks to Millennium Tower!

Twin peaks at the 115 Winthrop parcel will now become reality!

Last edited:

Wow...their "issues" list sounds as if someone reads aB:
1) "building massing"
2) "expression of verticality"
3) "presence of great hall"
4) "skyline identity"

Thanks for posting, Equilibria...first impression: huge improvement (even better than pnf, height change aside).

The chamfered corners of the main tower and the pinstripe approach are brilliant. Those chamfered corners will make the tower look narrower than it is.

I won't be surprised if they did. They even included a slide talking about art-deco inspirations from nearby buildings, something we pointed out in this thread.

I am so freaking proud of all of you guys for fighting for this change. Thank you for making a difference. Good design matters.

I am so freaking proud of all of you guys for fighting for this change. Thank you for making a difference. Good design matters.

Awesome job to all you folks up there who influenced! This gives me some hope for the Hub on Causeway.

Indeed; sometimes (and I'm sure I'm not alone) I get frustrated with all the negativity and hyperbole on this site (and seriously think about walking away permanently). But every now and then, something shines through to indicate we share a unifying, deep concern about our city. And that is cool.

In seriousness: the folks who wrote letters to Casey Hines should consider writing her a follow-up thanking her for how this process prompted positive improvement to the design. This would provide reassurance to the BPDA that it's worth holding future projects similarly accountable. (e.g., stakeholders who are fair/balanced in their input are taken more seriously than those who only whine).

Very happy about the external changes to the Great Hall entrance--it had disappeared in the previous version, which led to fears that the public space would become private due to lack of awareness/use. This is still a risk, and the developers still need to be pressured to make good use of the Great Hall, but the architectural changes show they're taking it seriously.

J3tjA4Al.jpg

At the meeting they had a 365 day video of the shadow impact. The video shows that at ~691', unwanted shadow is very much under control. No shadow on the Mall, and the Public Garden receives almost nil shadow.

it's safe to say the architects have done a very fine job to hide the massive quantity of space to be built.

It's not a sky bridge, but once built, at a glance the indent might accomplish it's goal to strongly suggest a sky bridge. (correct; it's no accident). :)

obviously a great improvement and to whatever extent AB folks who went to the meeting and sent messages to millennium (i'm among the latter, but not the former due to work travel): well done!

one thing i'm curious about: with the original design, millennium went out of their way to always mention the lit crown. anyone know if the re-RE-design retains that feature?

i couldn't find it in the new doc, but i'm at work and not able to read every single line in detail at the moment.

How about a lit crown??? Please and thank you.

jinx you owe me a coke ^^^

I don't know if all our letters to the BPDA was an influence, but I'm certainly glad I expressed my opinion in a letter. This current design is light years better! As the AIA says "Good Design is Good Business!"

At the meeting they had a 365 day video of the shadow impact. The video shows that at ~691', unwanted shadow is very much under control. No shadow on the Mall, and the Public Garden receives almost nil shadow. [/url]

Yes, BUT this is what really confuses me (not that that is a massive achievement):

The compromise that enabled the ORIGINAL project to tentatively move forward (allowing 115 Winthrop to cast more shadows at the cost of severely limiting FUTURE dense development prospects here and in the Back Bay) was predicated on a 750' tower.

But a 690' tower severely mitigated most of the shadow issue.

So did the city agree to shut down future possible dense buildings in the area in order to get 115 Winthrop through in a way that really backfired, or am I completely mistaken here?

Any insights would be deeply appreciated.

I guess I'm an oddball, because I like the DPIR design better. I'm tired of the all glass look.

Back