Winthrop Center | 115 Winthrop Square | Financial District

Re: Trans National Place (Winthrop Square) Part 2

Is the building that he is selling that horrendous blue-gray structure at the corner of CGW/Boylston/Mass Pike?

That's gotta be it; I can't think of any other six-story office buildings in the area. And boy that thing needs a new facade.

So, the city will still sell off the garage, right?

Oh, no, that would make too much sense. Of course, a city should be a landlord, too, right?

I'm ecstatic this has failed. I think the developer is a blow hard and could never have pulled this off. The city according to a Globe article way back:

"The city wants the tower to have ``civic" space that would bring more nighttime activity to the Financial District. Possible ideas include space for concerts and lectures or an indoor winter garden."

I don't think this plan achieved this.

I hope someone else comes along and does this right. One spin off of breaking the height barrier is that other building in the area might get taller - redesign the First National to look better in exchange for making it taller.

I've always hated the TNT building in the Fenway so this is a win. I also like the Rudolph building and would like to see it increased in height.

Oh well, the garage will be developed by someone else. It’s primed for it and would be a lot easier to tear down that the Congress Street garage. What I really wish is that someone would tear down that quarter-circle wall-like building on Cambridge Street across from Government Center. That must be far enough from the airport/flight paths for something taller than 8 floors…maybe 1000’?

The Garage or the Rudolph?
The building that was supposed to get torn down in addition to the garage. Does anyone have a picture? (could be I'm thinking of the wrong building).

things change yet again:
http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/stories/2009/02/16/daily31.html
Developer Steve Belkin has altered his plans for a controversial new tower on the site of a city-owned parking garage, telling Boston officials he still hopes to build on the site but no longer intends to tear down an adjacent office building, Belkin and a city official said.

?We?re still hopeful that they?ll be able to refine the plan and come back and talk to us in the next few months,? Boston Redevelopment Authority Director John Palmieri said.

Belkin, whose Trans National Group is moving back into his building at 133 Federal St., said through a spokeswoman: ?Our company is committed to moving forward on the Trans National Place project at Winthrop Square and believe there is still a tremendous opportunity to build an iconic tower for Boston on this site. ?

A final design for the site could include the existing building, Palmieri acknowledged.

When Mayor Thomas M. Menino announced he wanted a tower of around 1,000 feet built in the neighborhood several years ago, Belkin was the city?s pick. But the Federal Aviation Administration nixed the idea, given the proximity of the site to Logan International Airport.

This is great news aleast we know something will get built there. And we will be hearing something in the next few months.

The building that was supposed to get torn down in addition to the garage. Does anyone have a picture?

Words & picture

This is an important Rudolph building. It's an inventive use of precast concrete, and an early example of high-tech expressionism, something that Rudolph's student Norman Foster knows a little about...

I am in the minority of members that actually like the initial proposal. I am however, sort of excited to see what can happen with the smaller footprint.

I don't care if this gets 1,000 feet. 700ft, tall and sleek would be great in this location. I'll be real hopeful when ground is broken, but I like the potential for this site and I'm glad that Belkin is back (still?) at it and there will likely be a redesign.

how much smaller will the footprint be? they may just have to get rid of the open space next to TNP (wait nevermind, thats just not gonna happen)

Seems like this will reduce the value of the city's parking garage....an irregular shaped parcel isn't worth nearly as much if it isn't combined. In fact, I don't think there were any other bidders for the lot besides Belkin due to the perception that its not an easy lot to develop. Sounds like a net loss to the city coffers. I don't think that Belkin could have gotten the deal off the ground in this economy regardless, but I can't imagine that the city will ever get what they were quoting Belkin for the garage at this point.

Does anyone know what the city was demanding for a price of the parking garage?

That area is very tight spot for a 1,000 foot tower. No open space on either side until the tower is probably over 500ft. Tommy's Tower will not be build in this location.

Note: The following post was an April Fools Joke. The article is not real, none of the quotes are real.

B&T - April 1, 2009
Construction of Trans-National Tower to begin mid-summer
Santiago Calatrava picked to redesign Winthrop Sq Tower

April 1, 2009
By April Foals - Special to B&T

In a stunning joint announcement, developer Steve Belkin, Boston Mayor Thomas M. Menino and Governor Deval Patrick have declared that not only will the now-redesigned downtown tower be built, but they are committed to breaking ground this summer.

"This will happen and it will happen soon", said Belkin, "All the pieces are in place, the financing, the permits, the design. We even have the contractor lined up."

Santiago Calatrava was brought in to completely redesign the tower after the original architect walked off the job in a dispute with the developer.

The developer, the city and state have been working together feverishly for months in an effort to get this project off the ground.

"It was shortly after the stimulus package was announced, that the mayor called me up to see if we could get together to try work out a plan that would get this project moving." Belkin said.

The Mayor responded, "From the beginning I've said this was an important project for the city, and now with the economy the way it is, it has become even more vital to get it ramped up as soon as possible."

Late night and weekend meetings helped the developer secure all the necessary permits and waivers needed to move the soaring project forward.

"The City, BRA, State and even the FAA worked extra hard with my people to try to make this happen as soon as possible." Belkin said smiling.

Belkin brought in Calatrava after Renzo Piano resigned.

"I just wasn't happy with the 'Piano-inspired' idea. This project really needed a big name fully attached in order sell it to both lenders and potential tenants."

Reportedly, the project almost lost its second big name architect after the BRA insisted that Calatrava cover at least one wall with Alucobond. After the architect balked and Belkin once again threatened to scrap the whole idea, the BRA relented and the designer's stunning plan was allowed to remain, unaltered.

Financing details were not available at press time, but it is reportedly fully financed.

Not everyone was happy to about the new plans.

South End resident and 'neighborhood-activist' Nell Hagerty is concerned about the building casting a shadow on her building between 2:13 - 2:15p for 3 days in March. When informed that this was impossible, Hagerty began speaking out about the environmental hazards associated with this building, namely, sub-atomic pollution particles (SAPPs).

"SAPPs are huge problem in this city", Hagerty stated, "they may be small minority of sub-atomic particles, but they have a major undue influence on the quality of life in Boston. Mark my words, SAPPs will be the downfall of this city."

Hagerty was unclear on exactly how this project contributed to the SAPP problem.

Complaints from other neighborhood activists ranged from lack of open space to how the tower might negatively affect access to the waterfront despite being a dozen or so blocks inland.

"Open space is a serious issue in this city", said Cheryl Tress, "The Boston Common, Public Gardens, Esplanade, Rose Kennedy Greenway, Post Office Square, Christopher Columbus Park, Comm Ave Mall, Franklin Park, The Fenway and various smaller parks and cemeteries around the city simply do not provide enough open space for us."

Despite the criticism, the tower is expected to be met with great enthusiasm by a small group of architecture and urban design enthusiasts in and around the city.

The majority of Bostonians will mostly miss the cheap parking.
Detailed rendering of the Calatrava design

Last edited:

I can't stand SAPPs!!!

hahahahahahaha

great April Fools gag!

Great article. Sounds like someone at B&T reads ArchBoston.

Back