Winthrop Center | 115 Winthrop Square | Financial District

Re: Trans National Place (Winthrop Square) Part 2

Just in case anybody was wondering, here is what CBT cooked up (or should I say down?) for Winthrop Square after Renzo walked out on the job. Not surprisingly, it's a box...a very big box, kind of reminds me of one of the twins at the old WTC.

102officetower01.jpg

102officetower03.jpg

102officetower02.jpg

This would've made for quite a view...
102officetower04.jpg

that's as bland as bland can be

I actually find this to be less horrendous than the "starchitect's" original design. Still not worthy of usurping the Hancock though.

Thank God for the economic collapse :)

Prudential Tower v2.0

Sigh...hopefully this isn't the final design.

Could it be any more underwhelming? I liked Piano's design (didn't LOVE it), but I'm not a fan of this one.

This design sucks just about enough to maybe get built.

World's tallest sleep-aid.

I don't think it's that terrible, personally.

The CBT renderings are better than Piano's (which isn't saying much). If this tower is truly to be iconic, you can't have the roof garden. That's pretty much why this thing is a box no matter who's renderings you look at.

Also, why do we care? Despite Belkin's optimism, it's not getting built.

^^That is certainly untrue. You can have a roof garden without it being a box. While it may be a stretch, the under construction Shanghai Tower includes 9 gardens. In fact, I believe Gensler's proposal for the Congress Street Garage includes a sky garden. Just to note, the Shanghai tower is also designed by Gensler. I think they should hire Gensler for this one.

I actually like this building. It's nothing special or "iconic" but it isn't as atrocious as some of you are making it out to be.

The problem with Belkin and the Mayor going on about building something "iconic" and a "landmark" for Boston is that when a design like this comes out, it doesn't excite anyone. It's been done before and people are expecting something fresh for this site because of all the hoopla they've created around it. The first design wasn't iconic, this one isn't either. So they should just scrap their whole idea that they're going to build something that is going to be front and center on postcards and people's minds when they think of Boston.

If they proposed this building in another location where nothing was expected, everyone would be more excited than a kid in a candy store, but since you're expecting more---this obviously isn't going to do it for you.

I'll take a 1000 footer box anyday over a run down parking garage.

ain't a world beater but I would take it...

It bothers me that nothing about the irregular shape of the site is reflected in the tower's articulation. Apparently, building big in Boston requires that all designs be value-engineered in the first pass.

Last edited:

Beton,

Your thoughts about the way this proposed bulding fails to conforms to the site are right on. Its a shame.

This design takes any style and grace that the original design used to have. It's classic Boston. Tall and thin? Knock it down a few stories and widen out the belt buckle a few notches. I don't think it's hideous, but I like the older design better.

This building is a perfect 2nd tallest for a city. It's nice, it's shiny, it looks good enough without taking too much attention away from a taller, more attractive building. Is there any way we can shorten this to 850 feet, put it somewhere else in downtown and then build something iconic in this location in the 1,000 foot range?

Beton, I agree with you that it would have been considerably better to see a design that formed around the shape of the site

^ whatever gets built there won't be more than around 700' tall ... the tower shown in those renderings is dead.

Yea I know, I'm just in a dreamin' kind of mood...it's the mood I'm always in whenever I think of development in Boston.

Back