Winthrop Center | 115 Winthrop Square | Financial District

Shot from inside MT
received_1010592949494589.jpeg

Judging from how it measures up to the similar in height Millennium tower, this one appears to still have a ways to go before topping off.

First office tenant is inked:

BostonGlobe said:
International investment firm Cambridge Associates said Thursday it will move its headquarters into 115,000 square feet in the 691-foot tower now under construction in Boston’s Financial District.

The 15-year lease is among the largest office deals downtown since the arrival of Covid-19 in Boston nearly two years ago, and the first major tenant for a tower that was almost halted mid-construction when it lost construction financing in the pandemic’s first year.

[...]

Cambridge Associates will move in, from its current office at 125 High St., when Winthrop Center opens next summer.

This thing is superior to the giant hole in the ground that may have sat in limbo for years if they’d cancelled the project after losing funding during the first phase of COVID. That’s the nicest thing to say about it.

This thing is superior to the giant hole in the ground that may have sat in limbo for years if they’d cancelled the project after losing funding during the first phase of COVID. That’s the nicest thing to say about it.
The constant reminder of the original Piano proposal as the header for this thread is sad...

I've got to respectfully disagree with you there. The glass on this tower looks phenomenal. I'm actually really impressed with how it's turning out, especially after the multiple height reductions and design changes. In terms of it's design, it could have been and almost was a lot worse.

The constant reminder of the original Piano proposal as the header for this thread is sad...

I'm sure this will be a very controversial statement, but I'm glad the "Trans National Place" proposal didn't come to fruition. For what would have been the tallest tower in the city, the design was too bland and uninteresting. Any "new tallest" in the city should stand out in terms of its design, not just the sheer height of the tower.

IMO the best thing that would've come out of Trans National Place would have been the "lookout garden" observation deck which was planned at the top of the tower.
lookout garden 1.jpg
lookout garden 2.jpg

Back