Winthrop Center | 115 Winthrop Square | Financial District

For your sake, we better hope this thing doesn't get built in Melbourne!
four-seasons-melbourne-tower.jpg

Why is that one building wearing a belt? Is the facade gonna fall down without it?

I recall somebody saying that Winthrop Center will end up appearing shorter than MT due to the parcels' difference in height above sea level. Is anybody able to confirm whether this is true or not?

I recall somebody saying that Winthrop Center will end up appearing shorter than MT due to the parcels' difference in height above sea level. Is anybody able to confirm whether this is true or not?
It’ll depend on your vantage point, just like anything else. If you stand directly in front of Pierce Boston and look towards downtown, then Pierce looks taller than 1 dalton, pru, and JHT.

Last edited:

Keep in mind MT is only 685' to that very top corner, and itself sits on an 8' elevation gain so is only 677' to Washington street at its highest corner. Winthrop Center is not only 6' taller, but it's to a flat roof whereas MT has a 20'+ slant.

Also, it depends on the angle. MT will appear taller from the river, but Winthrop will stand out more from the south. The 2 of them will kind of co-dominate downtown until South Station Tower joins them.

I'll have to try to get a picture over the next few days, but this thing has been largely invisible from much of Eastie unless you were really looking for it. Now, and this is a very recent change, it's really standing out. It dominates the view as you're heading down Chelsea St. toward Maverick (it's almost framed by the buildings on either side of the street).

Yeah it was me. I looked at a elevation map of Boston and I believe Winthrop sits about 20-30 ft below MT

Last edited:
Yeah it was me. I looked at a elevation map of Boston and I believe Winthrop sits about 30-36 ft below MT

I'm looking at this map and don't think it sits more than maybe 10' lower than the Hawley Street side of MT, which is where the 685' is measured from. If anything it looks like I'm comparing the 72' range to the 66' range.

I'm looking at this map and don't think it sits more than maybe 10' lower than the Hawley Street side of MT, which is where the 685' is measured from. If anything it looks like I'm comparing the 72' range to the 66' range.
You can click on it and it will tell you the ft. When I drop the pin at Winthrop, it says it's between 70-75ft. When I drop it on MT, it's around 100-105ft. Either way, Winthrop isn't going to look noticeably higher or shorter than MT at the end of the day

You can click on it and it will tell you the ft. When I drop the pin at Winthrop, it says it's between 70-75ft. When I drop it on MT, it's around 100-105ft. Either way, Winthrop isn't going to look noticeably higher or shorter than MT at the end of the day

Here's another map where it says that Winthrop is 7 meters above the water level and MT (by Hawley Street) and Winthrop is 8 meters. I walk between them a lot and am hard pressed to think it's a full 30' difference down that block.

Here's another map where it says that Winthrop is 7 meters above the water level and MT (by Hawley Street) and Winthrop is 8 meters. I walk between them a lot and am hard pressed to think it's a full 30' difference down that block.
I honestly don't know which map is right or wrong. If walking between them a lot is proof though, then well, I used to work at 211 Congress St. which requires me to walk past both MT and WT and 20-30 ft looks plausible to me, especially when the increase in elevation is very gradual, so I don't know what else to tell ya.

Last edited:

Back