Winthrop Center | 115 Winthrop Square | Financial District

What about it elicits such a strong negative response? I like that it visually stays out of the way and lets the city be the real star. Also, it provides an incredibly immersive skyline experience if you go between 150-200 smoots and spin around 360 degrees.
It's the second most prominent bridge in America's oldest city and it looks like a freeway overpass.

Zakim is #1, Tobin isn't even on the map. Longfellow and Harvard are tied for prominence, but the Harvard Bridge is so much longer.

Obviously this is the type of nitpicking you can only find on a forum like archboston, but I pretty strongly disagree with this take. Zakim is the easy number 1, I think Longfellow is an easy number 2. Both are all over the TV screens during sporting events, featured in tourist itineraries, called out in Duck Tours, etc. The Tobin gets an honorable mention because it's so big and visible from so many locations (even as far out as Route 2 in Arlington). For the average person, any other bridge is probably irrelevant unless they're sitting in traffic on it. As transit and architecture nerd, I'd put the BU Bridge above the Harvard Bridge as well as it is a little more distinct in terms of its appearance and it has the distinction that has earned it some local fame. The Harvard bridge just sort of exists.

Zakim is #1, Tobin isn't even on the map. Longfellow and Harvard are tied for prominence, but the Harvard Bridge is so much longer.

Zakim and Tobin are both highways. Longfellow carries the Red Line. BU is short but forced to be higher to go over existing train tracks. Harvard Bridge is just a regular 2 lane road in each direction, crossing a mostly calm river (not even the harbor like Tobin). If the Harvard Bridge had more mass to it then it would interfere with the city view along the river for the entire ~1 mile from the BU Bridge to this one. For instance in my post that you responded to, the skyline would become partially blocked. What is there to gain exactly?

It's also older than the Longfellow Bridge and considered a historic structure. Here's more information about it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harvard_Bridge

I have to say flying into Logan at the crack of dawn this morning how this absolutely dominated the view across the harbor. 1IP was no longer the tallest downtown (which, I know it isn't anyway), and 100 Fed simply vanished into the background. Obviously it's a 5 second view out the window, and the tower looks diminished from many other angles, but it was quite shocking.

05C9F662-AEF3-4FA9-874F-6A490F3C8E57.jpeg

I have to say flying into Logan at the crack of dawn this morning how this absolutely dominated the view across the harbor. 1IP was no longer the tallest downtown (which, I know it isn't anyway), and 100 Fed simply vanished into the background. Obviously it's a 5 second view out the window, and the tower looks diminished from many other angles, but it was quite shocking.
Thanks for reminding me I took these last week ,rainy take off
FFBDAB4B-0315-4ACC-B2DF-671676E52415.jpeg
5872E363-9135-483F-8784-395CE779EFD2.jpeg
FB18EFF4-CF8D-4B10-87B1-0C93F1FBB279.jpeg

Back