Winthrop Center | 115 Winthrop Square | Financial District

727EE080-B2EA-4310-95C5-302BDFE95847.jpeg
B2BE34BC-6E3A-4751-A3D3-3E11C66A0719.jpeg

When tall buildings such as this are being built, how in the world does the crane operator gain access to the cab?!! That thing is pretty high in the air!!! Holy moly!!! :eek:
The crane operator takes the construction hoist (temporary elevator for material and workers) to the floor where the base of the crane is accessible and then climbs up the interior of the crane tower. The crane tower will have either a ladder with a cage or a very steep stairway within it.

The crane operator takes the construction hoist (temporary elevator for material and workers) to the floor where the base of the crane is accessible and then climbs up the interior of the crane tower. The crane tower will have either a ladder with a cage or a very steep stairway within it.

Thanks. I knew that they had to get up there some kind of way & they don't climb the full height of the tower supporting the crane. :)

Does anyone know if, with this final version, will the top (hesitant to use "crown") officially be lit up at night? I feel like some of the renders make it look that way, but it's hard to tell.

Not that anyone here wants to be compared to Miami, but the aerial footage of Miami during the Celtics game last night was striking. It's amazing how their skyline is light up at night compared to the dim skyline of Boston...

Does anyone know if, with this final version, will the top (hesitant to use "crown") officially be lit up at night? I feel like some of the renders make it look that way, but it's hard to tell.

Not that anyone here wants to be compared to Miami, but the aerial footage of Miami during the Celtics game last night was striking. It's amazing how their skyline is light up at night compared to the dim skyline of Boston...
It's ok to make comparisons with Miami. Each city in the world have something to offer/redeeming qualities

Boston in general is a bit darker than a lot of other cities. Inadequate street lighting - not having enough of it, and not having lights that a very bright, is a reason. Also, it just fits the aesthetic of Miami. They have a lot of bridges that are lit up in bright lights too. It's pretty unique on the scale and style that Miami does their buildings.

Boston in general is a bit darker than a lot of other cities. Inadequate street lighting - not having enough of it, and not having lights that a very bright, is a reason. Also, it just fits the aesthetic of Miami. They have a lot of bridges that are lit up in bright lights too. It's pretty unique on the scale and style that Miami does their buildings.

As for street lights, the city has invested a ton in directional down lit LED lights to not only reduce energey usage/costs, but also to make a pretty big impact on reducing light pollution. Not sure I have ever though Boston (in general) wasn't that bright at street level. Some smaller parts, sure, but on a whole it's pretty decently lit.

This is an issue I have with Boston in general. It is so damn dark at night. For a city that is all about walking, it sure isn't safe to do so after sunset because we become invisible due to low ambient lighting. Let's light up the skyline, install more or brighter street lamps, make the place stay alive for a few more hours of the day.

This is an issue I have with Boston in general. It is so damn dark at night. For a city that is all about walking, it sure isn't safe to do so after sunset because we become invisible due to low ambient lighting. Let's light up the skyline, install more or brighter street lamps, make the place stay alive for a few more hours of the day.

There is a dichotomy here comparing the two cities; yeah, it would be "cool" to have the bright skyline vibe but there is also the needless energy waste to light up the skyline, just for the sake of it. I believe that downtown Miami towers are much more residential / apartments / hotels so there would be lights on as a necessity compare to the business centric downtown of Boston so you have a very different dynamic.

There is a dichotomy here comparing the two cities; yeah, it would be "cool" to have the bright skyline vibe but there is also the needless energy waste to light up the skyline, just for the sake of it.

it's less energy consumption to light up any building with a bank of LEDs for 10 hours a day/night than it is to drive 1/4 block in a hybrid car, so... no.

Turning from nighttime aesthetics & ambiance back to the tower at-hand:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2022/05/20/business/winthrop-center-lands-second-tenant/

In combination with Cambridge Assoc. leasing 115,000 sf there, that's 20% of the 772,000 sf of office now leased there. (The Globe story from a few days back says 800,000 sf of office, but according to the June 2020 NPC it's 772,000 sf. That discrepancy is puzzling--you really can't dismiss it as a *rounding error.*)

EDIT: I see this second tenant currently resides at 100 Federal St.--which is to say, 15 yards +/- from where they will take up digs at Winthrop Center. Trebuchet their office equipment and fixtures across Federal St. into their new space?

Last edited:

Back