Winthrop Center | 115 Winthrop Square | Financial District

Wonder what the percentage is for actual residents from Massachusetts are purchasing a unit?

I don’t understand paying thousands a month on HOA for a few shared amenities, regardless of wealth.

Wonder what the percentage is for actual residents from Massachusetts are purchasing a unit?
Turns out there is some truth to the joke about all the dark apartments in the Seaport, Millennium Place and other locations around the city. This article in Universal Hub blew my mind a little bit.

I don’t understand paying thousands a month on HOA for a few shared amenities, regardless of wealth.

While I doubt HOA fees in a brand new luxury building are ever a value proposition, there can be some decent perks to help offset part of the costs. Like fitness and spa facilities. work space, concierge/doorman, private dining etc. You may not value those amenities but many others living downtown do. The people buying these units are generally not folks who stick to a strict monthly budget. It's easy to just say" regardless of wealth" but you cannot discount this kind of wealth. Even an extra $36,000 a year ($3,000/month) in fees is not going to make a difference for many folks in this wealth bracket so why not live in a brand new building especially if you like the location?

It makes for a cool rounded-wall effect along Devonshire, and impressive scale from the street.

2EBAB788-E50E-4963-9137-2E176E67B3EC.jpeg
50C90B83-66DA-4C65-8AB2-A2B9AB9083A1.jpeg
175E51E0-A70D-4AA0-9698-D33E464242B7.jpeg
88416697-9208-4E2A-AA20-0A493722B365.jpeg
3299A3E2-1CAD-43F3-A0C4-4C1F39660280.jpeg
0A92FBBC-8983-43CD-949C-99C0CD26C009.jpeg

A83205D1-8FEC-46B7-93AB-D39C5B01CF20.jpeg

Thanks for posting street level images. I can't wait for this "connector" to open and be the most amazing public space since the Public Garden. It will certainly become one of the top attractions to visit in Boston for people visiting our amazing city. (........YES, a huge amount of sarcasm.)

It's too bad we're getting "The Connector" instead of the "Great Hall" that was originally supposed to be part of this development.

the whole project is a gigantic bait-and-switch -- no great hall, no observation deck, no "iconic" lit crown. all we get is a fat, reflective glass filing cabinet that ultimately amounts to possibly the most collossal "infill" building ever constructed.

massive disappointment at a prime spot that could have been a really special statement tower.

the whole project is a gigantic bait-and-switch -- no great hall, no observation deck, no "iconic" lit crown. all we get is a fat, reflective glass filing cabinet that ultimately amounts to possibly the most collossal "infill" building ever constructed.

massive disappointment at a prime spot that could have been a really special statement tower.

I couldn't have said it better! I agree 1000 percent..

and is it even 6' taller than MT??....🙃

(Start conspiracy theory banter) joking, but nothing about this tower grabs attention as the 'tallest' in downtown.

Last edited:

I'm not quite as down on it, but don't forget that they also tanked an entire tower of affordable housing in Chinatown that they were supposed to fund.

Great points. If this was a normal proposal I think we all would have been happy with what was built, but the timeline of the project prevents it from being any better than mediocre. Even if the 1,000+ footer was never going to happen, some of the realistic proposals that followed were great and the original version of this particular proposal was still very good. The fact that it slowly degraded into what we see now is very frustrating and it never should have happened on a plot that was always hailed by the city as the site of a landmark tower.

Back