Winthrop Center | 115 Winthrop Square | Financial District

Re: Trans National Place (Winthrop Square) Part 2

They might be prepping to tear down the garage. IIRC, it's structurally deficient?

They might be prepping to tear down the garage. IIRC, it's structurally deficient?
I think you're right. Determined that it was too costly to repair.

the city still owns the garage correct?

^Correct.

It's good to see the demolition is underway. I'm sure good things will happen soon, especially after this site starts to look blighted following the demolition.

So the bump of this thread has caused me to revisit this map....

BOS_COMPOSITE_Ver1pt0X_jan09.jpg

Now, I know nothing about flight paths and what's required coming into or out of Logan, but it seems the only opponent (other than NIMBY's) to real height is Massport/FAA, and the only runway that really interferes with height downtown is runway 9/27. Now maybe this should fall under crazy transit pitches at this point, but if that runway 9/27 were to be rotated just a few degrees and aim the flight path more towards the south end, we could get a significant bump in the height increase.
I know this is an extremely remote possibility, because who would pay for all that work? But based on that map we'll never see 1,000ft. The areas that make the most sense for height, the high spine and downtown, are very close to the existing flight path, so unless that changes, we're not going to see anything taller than what we already have.

Also the bump of this thread caused me to go back and find this wonderful period piece.

kvhy.jpg

Note, the jpeg looked that shitty from day one.

@BobTheBuilder: I dont think many members are pawning for a 1000 footer here so much. Just something that standouts and adds more life to Federal St.

@Kz: No way that photo ever existed? For real-sies?

@BobTheBuilder: I dont think many members are pawning for a 1000 footer here so much. Just something that standouts and adds more life to Federal St.

Fair enough, and I would definitely agree with that. I'm just hoping for a 1,000 footer, someday. Hopefully in my lifetime.

I would most certainly put precedence on overall design than height, the skyline is ACHING for something architecturally interesting.

Not to derail, but I'd love to see one in Kendall. Put some big tech company a 1000 micro units a cool design. It's all MIT and River so no one should care but its cambridge so everyone will.

Fair enough, and I would definitely agree with that. I'm just hoping for a 1,000 footer, someday. Hopefully in my lifetime.

The place for it is the back bay garage.

What really excites me about this isn't the possibility of a tower. It's the idea that this streetwall along Devonshire can be completely transformed and activated.

http://goo.gl/maps/5QpoF

This is what it could very easily become, if properly executed: http://goo.gl/maps/pu1Yl (Stone Street, Lower Manhattan)

Seriously - compare the two streetviews. This is entirely possible. And it would be such a fantastic urban moment where this street/plaza opens up into Winthrop Square.

What really excites me about this isn't the possibility of a tower. It's the idea that this streetwall along Devonshire can be completely transformed and activated.

http://goo.gl/maps/5QpoF

This is what it could very easily become, if properly executed: http://goo.gl/maps/pu1Yl (Stone Street, Lower Manhattan)

Seriously - compare the two streetviews. This is entirely possible. And it would be such a fantastic urban moment where this street/plaza opens up into Winthrop Square.

It may be tough to duplicate due to the giant loading docks and poor street interaction at 100 Summer, but it could certainly improve by leaps and bounds if the right building goes in there.

While walking by the Winthrop Square garage today, I noticed surveyors on the top floor and in the adjacent streets. This project's shambling corpse may be preparing to dance again.

Although I've seen surveyors on Franklin St. as well recently, I asked someone who would definitely know about the guys on the roof of Winthrop Sq. Garage.

He assured me they were window washers for 75-101 Federal St., using the garage as a staging point. He said he's seen them do that before...

... here, have a shovel and few spadefuls of earth to help rebury that shambling corpse.

He assured me they were window washers for 75-101 Federal St., using the garage as a staging point. He said he's seen them do that before...

They were operating laser transits, so they must have been moonlighting as surveyors on their day off.

^^^The FAA map has always made me wonder why the cites with 1000 foot clearances don't use what amounts to a very special opportunity to create highrise districts to generate substantial taxes for the cities involved.

Judging from the map it looks like they could do 700'. That would still look pretty awesome with the right design.

It's interesting that the approved Christian Science Center tower, at 691', is significantly above the FAA approved height of 500' for the site. Granted, it's very close to the border of the 1000' zone, but still surprised that we didn't hear a single peep from the FAA about that development.. Maybe they're a bit more flexible than that map suggests?

It's interesting that the approved Christian Science Center tower, at 691', is significantly above the FAA approved height of 500' for the site. Granted, it's very close to the border of the 1000' zone, but still surprised that we didn't hear a single peep from the FAA about that development.. Maybe they're a bit more flexible than that map suggests?

Or maybe CSC is next to the 750+antenna foot Pru so it doesn't matter

Back