Winthrop Center | 115 Winthrop Square | Financial District

Re: 111 Federal St. | Formerly Trans National Place (Winthrop Square) Part 2

About as tall or taller than the Empire State Building!

The tower itself might have already been too tall. The spire just merely added fuel to the fire.

And sadly, because of this, we may never get a tower that would be taller than the John Hancock Tower! :eek:

The height isn't important. Winthrop Square could be a really cool spot if there was a better street life experience down there. If we do end up going tall, i'd like the building to have a spire or non-flat roof. Something where the very tip hits 800' would be interesting.

The height isn't important. Winthrop Square could be a really cool spot if there was a better street life experience down there.

I agree. Apart from the hideous garage, Winthrop Sq is gorgeous. It deserves a more compelling street scape.

The height isn't important. Winthrop Square could be a really cool spot if there was a better street life experience down there. If we do end up going tall, i'd like the building to have a spire or non-flat roof. Something where the very tip hits 800' would be interesting.

I think that the JHT is about 790 or so with 60 floors.

We'd only need 61 to 64 floors, or at least 850 or so feet to have a building taller than the JHT!

And be built somewhere else in Boston, instead of downtown. That way, the FAA probably won't pose any restrictions at all on the tower's height by saying that it would interfere with the flight paths at Logan Airport. :cool:

Washington, DC has that same restriction there, but the floors in the city's buildings are much shorter - all of them are limited to just 10 floors, maybe 12 tops. The tallest thing there is the Washington Monument at just over 500 feet.

In spite of all of the buildings that are u/c there, especially near Union Station, you won't see anything taller there than 10 or so floors. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

We'd only need 61 to 64 floors, or at least 850 or so feet to have a building taller than the JHT!

And be built somewhere else in Boston, instead of downtown. That way, the FAA probably won't pose any restrictions at all on the tower's height.

I really doubt you'll see anything that tall in Winthrop Square. If the city and Belkin think 740 is the right height it's going to end up about that tall. We have no idea if the 740 includes mechanical floors or not, but let's assume it doesn't, then tack on thirty feet.

If not the FAA, then the neighborhoods are your next obstacle.

Personally, I just don't see the need for all this height; who cares if the JHT is the tallest we ever get for a long time? It's a fantastic building and IMO has a timeless design. Not to mention, where is the market demand for tall? Maybe we're at the tip of the ultra-luxury building craze, so that might drive it, but we have plenty of space for further mid-rise commercial development without having to go tall (Seaport, Allston Railyard).

I really doubt you'll see anything that tall in Winthrop Square. If the city and Belkin think 740 is the right height it's going to end up about that tall. We have no idea if the 740 includes mechanical floors or not, but let's assume it doesn't, then tack on thirty feet.

If not the FAA, then the neighborhoods are your next obstacle.

Personally, I just don't see the need for all this height; who cares if the JHT is the tallest we ever get for a long time? It's a fantastic building and IMO has a timeless design. Not to mention, where is the market demand for tall? Maybe we're at the tip of the ultra-luxury building craze, so that might drive it, but we have plenty of space for further mid-rise commercial development without having to go tall (Seaport, Allston Railyard).

Incidentally, neighbors & others DID complain.

Something about the tower possibly blocking off sunlight in certain areas at different parts of the day.

Almost similar to the new World Trade Center in New York, where some of the 09-11 relatives had gone to then Gov. George E. Pataki, asking him not to let any of the planned new buildings be built on the original Twin Towers' footprints, saying that those 2 spots are sacred ground, and that if anything were to be put there in those 2 spots, that it should be a memorial, which we all know was the case.

But EVEN THEN, they were STILL constantly complaining about the memorial itself, and was always trying to get the work halted because of something that they didn't like! That is when the officials put their foot down and said; "This is what you voted for, this is the plan that won and this is what we are going to build. If you don't like it, then tough. The train has already left the station." :cool:

And be built somewhere else in Boston, instead of downtown. That way, the FAA probably won't pose any restrictions at all on the tower's height by saying that it would interfere with the flight paths at Logan Airport. :cool:

Washington, DC has that same restriction there, but the floors in the city's buildings are much shorter - all of them are limited to just 10 floors, maybe 12 tops. The tallest thing there is the Washington Monument at just over 500 feet.

In spite of all of the buildings that are u/c there, especially near Union Station, you won't see anything taller there than 10 or so floors. :rolleyes:

My girlfriend and I have a condo in the tallest residential building in DC and it's only 12 stories (164 ft.); the Height of Buildings Act of 1910 stipulated that no building can be higher than The Cairo as Washingtonians were shocked and appalled that something so mammoth (!) could be constructed. It's quaint that a building erected in 1895 is still the tallest residential building in town (some commercial buildings like the IBM towers can be a bit taller and when you venture into the nether-regions of deepest, darkest Maryland you start to see typical suburban 20 floor buildings).

^

Nope. Not even close. The original proposal was 1,270 feet with the spire.

I always wondered where that number came from. I've read numerous articles but always got the height of 1000 ft. I remember 1,140 ft was also thrown around, but only in this forum. Skyscraperpage's diagram has it around 360 meters or around 1,180 ft. Were these numbers cooked?

Jahv -- the perfect place is the JHT parking garage -- there can be no serious FAA issues as its between the Pru and th JHT

Hi. Apparently the deadline has passed for submissions in response to the *RFI for 115 (nee 111) Federal Street.

Steve Adams of Banker & Tradesman has all the details so check out his Twitter feed.

https://twitter.com/SteveAdamsTweet

According to him, eight developers submitted plans, with 7 of the 8 providing renderings.

The list of developers include Steve Belkin (natch), Millennium Partners, HYM (Congress Street Garage), Fallon Co, Lend Lease Dev & Hudson Group (?), Accordia Partners (Kirk Sykes) and CV Properties, Trinity Financial, and Lincoln Property Co.

HYM appears to have the tallest tower - 780 feet. Fallon's has two towers.

Most if not all include residential.

Last edited:

OMG thanks!! This is huge!!

Edit: Also see this slideshow: http://www.bankerandtradesman.com/gallery/winthrop/
---

Millennium Partners proposes 750-foot-tall tower with 360 housing units and 325K offices
https://twitter.com/SteveAdamsTweet/status/587730858884390912
CCgKGiVWEAAOJdk.jpg:large

Architect: Handel
---

Fallon Co. proposes two residential buildings of 473k and 218k square feet linked by retail concourse
https://twitter.com/SteveAdamsTweet/status/587735152304005120
CCgOAcrWEAAqgxZ.jpg:large

Architect: HOK
---

HYM Investments' Tom O'Brien proposes new St. Anthony's Shrine, friary and new downtown... HYM would build 780-foot-tall residential tower on existing St. Anthony Shrine parcel
https://twitter.com/SteveAdamsTweet/status/587736047083192322
CCgO0h5WMAEm5-O.jpg:large

Architect: Elkus
---

Lend Lease Dev. and Hudson Group propose 1.2 mil sf of condos, rentals, hotel, office and retail in 750-foot tower
https://twitter.com/SteveAdamsTweet/status/587738832008830976
CCgRWoqWgAApAt1.jpg:large

! >> NOTE: This is not a rendering of Winthrop Square, but rather Aura in Toronto. << !

CCjCea1WIAA7sTT.jpg:large

Architect: Graziani + Corazza
---

Trans National's Steve Belkin proposal is for 54-story 740-foot tower with 1.5 msf of offices, housing and retail
Belkin would combine development with the 133 Federal St. parcel he owns next-door

https://twitter.com/SteveAdamsTweet/status/587745317543661569
CCgXQJEW8AA-iin.jpg:large

Architect: CBT
---

Accordia Partners' Kirk Sykes and CV Properties' Dick Galvin: tapered 750-foot tower with 800k sf hotel/condos
https://twitter.com/SteveAdamsTweet/status/587747902585495553
CCgZmnIW0AAvw3e.jpg:large

Architect: SHoP + Hacin
---

Trinity Financial: 51-story 985k sf tower with 276-room hotel, 328 apartments, 261 cond...
https://twitter.com/SteveAdamsTweet/status/587749915310350336
CCgbbw-WAAA46zV.jpg:large

Architect: TAT
---

Lincoln Property Co.: 47-story tower with 1.4 msf for hotel, residential, offices (750k sf). Hasn't selected an architect so no rendering
https://twitter.com/SteveAdamsTweet/status/587751239733157888

Last edited:

Wow, this is great. Out of the 8 proposals, I count 5 over 740 feet. A sixth, Trinity, very obviously breaks the plateau in its rendering.

Awesome! That Accordia Partner's rendering is so sexy.

Any of these being build would pretty much shatter the plateau downtown, which I really quite like the idea of. And if the stated height of the HYM proposal is only to the highest occupiable floor then mechanicals would certainly put it over the edge.

I love that Millennium didn't even shy about towering over their brand new namesake tower with this proposed development right next door.

Also, I've said this before - if ANYONE knows how to actually get a tower built in this city, it's Millennium.

Last edited:

I hope it is either Accordia, Millennium, or Fallon. Accordia looks the best but those other two also look great. the other 5 would also be amazing but those 3 would be best.

Lend Lease Dev. and Hudson Group propose 1.2 mil sf of condos, rentals, hotel, office and retail in 750-foot tower
https://twitter.com/SteveAdamsTweet/status/587738832008830976
CCgRWoqWgAApAt1.jpg:large

---

This looks exactly like Aura in Toronto. In fact, this IS Aura in Toronto when you look at the neighboring tower in the render... Considering how poorly the lower 2/3 of that one turned out, let's hope to God this isn't the pick.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1050183&page=23

This looks exactly like Aura in Toronto. In fact, this IS Aura in Toronto when you look at the neighboring tower in the render... Considering how poorly the lower 2/3 of that one turned out, let's hope to God this isn't the pick.

Ah thank you. I was trying to place it. I knew it couldn't be Winthrop Square, but apparently it's what they presented...

That actually is a rendering for Aura in Toronto.

Back