Winthrop Center | 115 Winthrop Square | Financial District

Re: 111 Federal St. | Formerly Trans National Place (Winthrop Square) Part 2

888 Boyslston, 1 Canal, 30 Dalton and Inkblob have been taking most of the incoming. Maybe people momentarily forget that 30 Dalton is just the low companion of 1 Dalton? i think it'll look fantastic in it's future role. Can't wait for 40 Trinity and 380 Stewart Street to break ground. Two 400' buildings i think will make good companions to the JHT.

Anyone who thinks the forum is extra harsh these days must have forgotten about when Waterside Place and The Kensington were being built.

888 Boyslston, 1 Canal, 30 Dalton and Inkblob have been taking most of the incoming..

Beyond aesthetic reproach!

Throw copley + 1 dalton on there. Govt garage would really round it all out too. Regardless tho that skyline looks great.

yes sir....

Left to right, TD Residential, Avalon, GG, GCG 1 & 2, 1 Bromfield St, Millennium, 111 Federal, Copley Sq, 1 Dalton.

missing; Harbor Garage, South Station, 40 Trinity, 380 Stewart St....

Last edited:

Anyone who thinks the forum is extra harsh these days must have forgotten about when Waterside Place and The Kensington were being built.

I seem to recall a fair amount of animus directed at 45 Stuart St. aka Jacob Wirth's tower. I'm puzzled that it doesn't seem to have transferred directly over to the Nashua St. tower still going up, despite that fact that to me it is an identical cardboard box of equally unrelieved drab sterility (no surprise, given it's the same developer...).

I seem to recall a fair amount of animus directed at 45 Stuart St. aka Jacob Wirth's tower. I'm puzzled that it doesn't seem to have transferred directly over to the Nashua St. tower still going up, despite that fact that to me it is an identical cardboard box of equally unrelieved drab sterility (no surprise, given it's the same developer...).

Probably because the entire North Station - West End skyline is gross. Hopefully the Garden Towers changes that.

Probably because the entire North Station - West End skyline is gross. Hopefully the Garden Towers changes that.

^Was thinking the same thing.

ouch....

turns out my hope/s for a range of 740'-780' was too optimistic.

BRA: "725 feet... That's the roof height. We're going high, so the conversations go directly to the architectural height.....
It's 725. People expressed they want to go a little higher. Maybe in the end, it's 10 feet higher..."

ME "So even 740' or 750' isn't likely to happen."

BRA: "I don't think so. Even a few feet, we're negociating with the FAA, and they're opposed to increasing the height.
We've had numerous conversations and we're following the FAA...."

.... fear not about tall buildings we are still waiting for the outcome of the process for the old city garage at Winthrop Square.

725-735' (sigh).

Last edited:

725 to the roof will be fine, and it's not like they're negotiating with NIMBYs. I can't even believe they would "negotiate" with the FAA.

I appreciate the BRA's efforts. I recall Fallon's proposal being around 725 feet. Just please please please no Belkin!

No news I apologize for bumping this thread but in the off chance some developer looks at this website I want to entertain an idea.

This parcel needs a crown of some type. We missed out on the art deco era big time in Boston. NYC is showing that you can build modern and still get the beautiful spires on your skyline with One Vanderbuilt, something of this nature would look incredible to cap off our skyline. This right here is how you built a modern glass tower with an art deco spire. If we were to take this design I think we could go even further by having different colored glass to accentuate the crown in the day time. White for example would look nice. If we built this it would not be lost in the sea of other buildings. It would be Boston's crown jewel and our Empire State Building of the night skyline. New York is absolutely demolishing other cities right now with their architecture and I think we need to get in on it as well.

One-Vanderbilt-Visualhouse-KPF-SL-Green-Midtown-East-11.jpg

One-Vanderbilt-Visualhouse-KPF-SL-Green-Midtown-East-12sm.jpg

visualhouse_Top_of_the_Rock_-8.0.0.jpg

One-Vanderbilt-1-777x901.jpg

One-Vanderbilt-Massing.jpg

Looks like a Dugtrio

Im not saying built the exact tower. Something similar to this, glass tower with art deco spire, is what Im suggesting.

Im not saying built the exact tower. Something similar to this, glass tower with art deco spire, is what Im suggesting.

YES! A thousand times, YES! A-men... preach it!
I just posted something similar in the Bromfield thread.

A spire on this building (or any of the big ones upcoming) would be very much welcomed.

We missed the golden era (20's) in Boston big time. Now is the time where some of that glamor is back en vogue but with a modern twist. We need to get in on it before its too late IMO. I am seeing better architecture being proposed recently that I can remember at any point in my life-albeit 90% is in NYC. We already missed the golden age once we cant miss it again. If we do it will be a huge loss.

We missed the golden era (20's) in Boston big time. Now is the time where some of that glamor is back en vogue but with a modern twist. We need to get in on it before its too late IMO. I am seeing better architecture being proposed recently that I can remember at any point in my life-albeit 90% is in NYC. We already missed the golden age once we cant miss it again. If we do it will be a huge loss.

Agreed.

Can't remember who has the agreement with the Shrine (HYM?). If the city wants to go tall, does the potential for a few extra feet by the FAA across the street give them an edge?

It definitely can. Also if the city really wants to the FAA guidelines are just that-guidelines. Looking at the map this looks like it is zoned for 725' anyways so i think they are already getting some leeway here. The South Station tower is right on the line of the 300' and 700' cutoff. The harbor garage towers are zoned for 275' but the BRA said they can go up to about 600. The FAA height limits are not set in stone although the closer you are to a different heigh allowance the easier it is to get it okayed.

Back