Winthrop Center | 115 Winthrop Square | Financial District

Re: 111 Federal St. | Formerly Trans National Place (Winthrop Square) Part 2

The Accordia proposal is growing on me. HYM is still the best imo.

Have some Millennium too

Trans National

A few of the pics in these posts haven't been posted here yet (mostly accordia), a few have. They're mostly all ripped from the pdf's. If you have seen em great, if not enjoy, trying to bring this thread back to reality.

1 more Accordia

Accordia_TopTen6_new.jpg

I like the massing of Accordia a lot but not so much the design, like if they redid the skin it might be a bit more interesting. The Millennium is a dud, what the hell is that archway and what does it have to do with anything?! I dig the dual towers of Trans National but the design is also a dud.

Trans National is growing on me. Millennium looks like a half finished render. Accordia would be good if it wasn't so green.

Accordia is growing on me too and I'm actually starting to like the emerald facade.

I like the massing of Accordia a lot but not so much the design, like if they redid the skin it might be a bit more interesting. The Millennium is a dud, what the hell is that archway and what does it have to do with anything?! I dig the dual towers of Trans National but the design is also a dud.

Van -- the rest of Millenium zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

But the Arch is like s cavern opening think Carlsbad [where the Billion or so bsts fly out]
Carlsbad-Caverns-02.jpg

CarlsbadCaverns_36437_81454-800x600.jpg

The key to the Millenium design is the inside of that very tall very modern version of a Meade Hall

62bddeb1ed5e024b29261614e64273db.jpg

If only the rest of their proposal was as inspired

Overall, the proposals were a disappointment. The curtain wall on Accordia needs to be improved. The color needs to be changed. The massing is fine. i wish the twists could be reduced to simple rectangles... Transnational twin design is interesting. But the height/s seems a bit short. Each tower appears only about 75' wide on the narrow side/s. Offering to remove 133 Federal St is a huge gain... BUT THE WHOPPER IS 1.7 MILLION SQ FT!! That blows the doors of the competition. It's clearly, the biggest revenue maker for Boston....

No one seems to mention Lend Lease as much. These renders don't really say phallic. From some angles it looks the most like the old Accordia design.

LENDLEASE
HEIGHT: 725' TO TIP

RENDERS

eVWpEWdh.png

WEFkPHxh.png

SxZnFK1h.jpg

qAvbYnjh.png

PLANS, SECTIONS, ELEVATIONS

R5eeeRCh.png

ZiF1TyBh.png

xs0SvgQh.png

PL9JENSh.png

Xjv9Rbsh.png

Last edited:

I just posted those Accordia renders because they hadn't been posted before. The accordia pdf had a bunch of small skyline shots in black and white with the green silhouetted tower that I was able to blow up and rip from the pdf so I figured I'd post em. Then I threw some more in for shits and gigs.

I really love Accordia, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if we end up with Trinity as our Mayor tries to figure out how to get some positive PR while his administration goes through a corruption scandal (everyone loves affordable housing!)

L
E
N
D
L
E
A
S
E
!!!

Let's all pray they don't pick Lend Lease. Not so much because there is anything wrong with the design (I happen to not like it, but that isn't my point), but because it will never in a million years survive further design. If Lend Lease gets the nod, we may very get a quality tower, but it won't look a bit like this proposal.

Accordia and Millennium have both grown on me. A little value engineering on Accordia could drop some of the awkward cantilevers and leave us with just setbacks for a handsome and more tame tower. I would count that a win compared to the brashness of LL. Millennium is a little chubby, but also boldly emphasizes its verticality in a way that Boston buildings are usually too shy for. I think Millennium will look great on the skyline and from the ground looking up.

For me, at first it was LendLease. Still like it, but Accordia has grown on me more! Kind of like at first being dazzled by the flashy blonde, but then learning to study the elegant but more reserved brunette.

Lendlease looks like Spiderman is lurking in Boston.

NO WAY.

YEA! spiderman is probably a LIBERAL! Damn it ALL TO HELL

Let's all pray they don't pick Lend Lease. Not so much because there is anything wrong with the design (I happen to not like it, but that isn't my point), but because it will never in a million years survive further design. If Lend Lease gets the nod, we may very get a quality tower, but it won't look a bit like this proposal.

It sounds like you are discounting the lendlease design because it's too good. It would be a shame if it was reduced to something lesser but it is better to shoot high I think rather than start with something lesser.

I like their design myself, the LED lights remind me of the Bank of China tower in Hong Kong. It always sticks out whenever I see a photo of HK's skyline.

Accordia is nice too though.

It sounds like you are discounting the lendlease design because it's too good. It would be a shame if it was reduced to something lesser but it is better to shoot high I think rather than start with something lesser.

I like their design myself, the LED lights remind me of the Bank of China tower in Hong Kong. It always sticks out whenever I see a photo of HK's skyline.

Accordia is nice too though.

Not that it is too good - it is too flashy and very likely too expensive for this development environment. This isn't the Bank of China's flagship building. This is on-spec. That design won't/can't be built on-spec in Boston. Maybe if Fidelity had chosen to build a flagship then their corporate ego could pick up the unnecessary expense of all the glitz and bling. The building will get leased/sold even if it looked like a wet cardboard box, all that ornamentation is profit flushed down the toilet.

This design competition is going to be classic bait and switch. Everyone is trying to get picked by the city based on being shiny and giving handouts. Once they are selected, all of a sudden the design is going to be dumbed down cover the cost of all the handouts. Just watch.

I hope they pick something that looks realistic from the get-go so there are no surprises.

This design competition is going to be classic bait and switch. Everyone is trying to get picked by the city based on being shiny and giving handouts. Once they are selected, all of a sudden the design is going to be dumbed down cover the cost of all the handouts. Just watch.

I hope they pick something that looks realistic from the get-go so there are no surprises.

This all depends on how much the city ends up charging for the lot. The city wants a high-quality project here, so the BRA will take this into account and cost of the "handouts" will be priced in to the sale of the property. In then end, I'd expect the numbers on this project to be more favorable to the developer than on a comparable lot purchased privately through a competitive bid / auction.

Back