Winthrop Center | 115 Winthrop Square | Financial District

Re: 111 Federal St. | Formerly Trans National Place (Winthrop Square) Part 2

all that ornamentation is profit flushed down the toilet..

For every person that wonders why buildings lack the detail and craft of many of the buildings in the past, this sentence pretty much says it all.

cca

Ps. I would suggest that pride in what, and in where, you build might be worth a tiny percentage of that precious profit one speaks of.

i think Belkin is at the front of the line w/ 1.7M sq ft. Geebus that's a lot of density at this site.

For me, at first it was LendLease. Still like it, but Accordia has grown on me more! Kind of like at first being dazzled by the flashy blonde, but then learning to study the elegant but more reserved brunette.

i think so too. Accordia is the far safer play.

i had this good catholic girl at assumption college.... one of 2, 3 or 7 i let ge....

Accordia is growing on me too and I'm actually starting to like the emerald facade.

I agree. This may have been covered when all of the new renderings were posted but are there any examples of high profile towers with an emerald hue?

Except, of course:
emerald-city6.jpg

Accordia looks at least 750'.

I could live with this kind of green. This (Accordia) could be quiet stunning on our skyline.

333_Wacker_Drive_Chicago

I'll just say it.

Lendlease will be the butt of many jokes. It looks like a giant penis. It absolutely cannot win.

The developer who embezzles the most money to Marty Walsh's fat pockets will win.

I'll just say it.

Lendlease will be the butt of many jokes. It looks like a giant penis. It absolutely cannot win.

Many have gone before you on this thread already making said observation. To quote Best In Show, "paging Dr. Freud..."

Also, Odurandia above, noting that TransNational's proposal has double the density or whatever it is. Their proposal very much harps on how much more property taxes the City would theoretically net from their 100,000s more SF than the other proposals.

In this era of perennial shriveling of federal and state aid, of exploding health care/pension costs, etc., etc.... don't think that might not end up being a huge factor, perhaps far outstripping the sentimental "we owe it to Belkin for having proposed first" (which is a really bizarre rationale when you can down to it which I don't think many logical people would endorse)

Odurandia above, noting that TransNational's proposal has double the density or whatever it is. Their proposal very much harps on how much more property taxes the City would theoretically net from their 100,000s more SF than the other proposals

In this era of perennial shriveling of federal and state aid, of exploding health care/pension costs, etc., etc.... don't think that might not end up being a huge factor, perhaps far outstripping the sentimental "we owe it to Belkin for having proposed first" (which is a really bizarre rationale when you can down to it which I don't think many logical people would endorse)

Yes. There's a natural tendency to retreat from Belkin in an effort to flaunt dispassion. Then you see the size, the investment, and the revenue; and it's just, 'wow.' The renders don't do the towers well. But it's easy to fall into the trap of mentally placing the podium bldg and it's 2 high a/r towers into the same footprint of the others, when the footprint is well larger. i don't know if the taller of the 2 towers reaches 725'. It needs to... but, whether standing at either end, viewing the high walls, or at a distance; You're seeing 2 impressive, low skyscrapers.

For the reasons you all have cited, is it not Belkin vs Accordia?

I agree. This may have been covered when all of the new renderings were posted but are there any examples of high profile towers with an emerald hue?

Except, of course:
emerald-city6.jpg

Trump Tower in Toronto I believe is Emerald

Trump20120219cjw1.jpg

So is Taipei 101

Is the alternate proposal to parcel-swap St Anthony's Shrine onto 111 Federal and to build a tower on Arch St still alive?

Is the alternate proposal to parcel-swap St Anthony's Shrine onto 111 Federal and to build a tower on Arch St still alive?
Answering my own question, it is the HYM proposal:
HYM: https://sketchfab.com/models/9ee4c3c...77534ed77bc596
I prefer this plan from a city-planning standpoint; massing the skyscraper nearer transit and away from already-built towers.

Trump20120219cjw1.jpg

So is Taipei 101

I think green could work given that the financial district skyline is generally non-distinctive in color and appearance

Wow. In 3D (when you open full screen) Transnational is absolutely huge.

If the tall tower reaches 725', i hope Belkin wins.

Last edited:

Trump20120219cjw1.jpg

So is Taipei 101

I think a green tower is bogus. Call it an "emerald hue" or whatever you want, it's still gross.

Stumbled upon these interactive 3D models of the proposals! Have fun!!

How did you manage to "stumble" on this? Props to you (and to the BRA)!

EDIT: Also, kind of interesting that SST is in here (in its old form) but not One Bromfield.

All the towers should be GOLD! Just like the 3d models.

cca

I saw @TheHudsonGroupNA post it on Twitter...

How did you manage to "stumble" on this? Props to you (and to the BRA)!

EDIT: Also, kind of interesting that SST is in here (in its old form) but not One Bromfield.

Back